Elementary school principal killed in shooting; man arrested
Police arrested janitor John Luebbers, 44, in connection with the shooting.
February 2nd, 2011

Elementary school principal killed in shooting; man arrested

The principal of an elementary school in northern California was shot to death Wednesday, police said.

Placerville Police Chief George Nielsen identified the victim as Sam Lacara, 50, the principal of Schnell School, who was shot in the upper torso.

John Luebbers, 44, a custodial employee, was arrested in connection with the shooting, which was believed to have stemmed from a dispute between the two men, Nielsen said.

No schoolchildren were injured, but authorities believe one student may have seen the shooting.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime
  1. Molly

They said a janitor shot the principal and then fled on foot. Police have reportedly caught the guy

February 2, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • CaptainReza

Well, as long as there is something going on in other countries, who cares about the US?!

February 2, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • watanye

now if the principal had a gun , he could of defended himself!

February 2, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • squealy

Watanya, if NOBODY had a gun, it would never have happened. Besides, think! If you are a shooter, and you have a gun on somebody, what are you going to do when he starts reaching for his own? You are going to shoot him before he can pull it out, aren't you? It is not like he will have it all ready to go. No, he will panic at the shock of what is happening and maybe even fumble trying to get it out. The answer is not to have everyone in society armed. That is just bananas!

February 2, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Squealy because if guns were outlawed. Outlaws wouldn't figure out a way to still get them??? I will take my chances being armed over unarmed!!!

February 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shoot em

If nobody in the US had a gun then the enemy would be shooting at US

February 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • eyevibe

@squeally What is "bananas" is that people like you can't understand that even if the killer didn't have a gun, he/she would have found another way to kill. Seriously folks this is common sense.

February 2, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Squealy, your premise is asinine, because there is no way that no one will have a gun. Are you honestly naive enough to think that even if the .gov was somehow to ban all guns that everybody, 100% of gun owners would turn in 100% of the guns?? Seriously? Just keep making up your little fantasy scenarios and maybe the rainbows and unicorns will save you. Myself, I'd rather be armed and have at least a fighting chance than be disarmed ad be a victim for sure.

February 2, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Q

Matt C is a moron! Proper training and a background check, idiot. The principal should be carrying. Proven fact crime is reduced when more concealed handgun permits are issued!!!

February 2, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

@Matt C and Squeally:

I am all for gun control, but the truth of the matter is, even if the weapon was removed, another weapon would have been used. You are placing blame on the object not the person. You blatantly assumed and concluded that if he didn't have a gun this would have never happened. That is a baseless assertion merely for the fact that you have no idea if he would have done it or not.

The ultimate truth is, it's not that you do not like guns, it's that you do not like people who like guns or use them.

Before you make an argument, make sure to decide on what it is that you are asserting. It is just a bit of friendly advice. I am mad too at this whole incident, but it is no reason to be irrational and start making baseless claims.

If you come up with a better argument than "if there were no guns, this would not have happened," I will respect it.

Sincerely.

February 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • watanye

the only reason our government works is because we have the right to bear arms and form militias–"a democracy only works when the government has a fear of the people" –winston churchill

February 2, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

Let's hang on to that sacred cow " right to bear arms".. How I wish I had the right to not get shot !

February 2, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

@Obseleteitude

Name calling and Ad-Hominem completely removes any merit from your argument and all credit from you as an intelligent person. Regardless of your opinions. I agree with both sides of the debate, but really, depart from the teenage way of doing things and try to make your assertions make sense and hold water.

"Defend this, you moronic gun supporters. " This just ruins anything you have to say, whether you are right or not.

February 2, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

Gee, whoever wrote this "article" should be promoted, possibly to 4th grade? CNN, I just finished reading another poorly written, but big pic of "journalist" who wrote it, article on Barbara Bush's (the daughter) views on gay marriage (which was also poorly written...you people NEED an Editor & some (any) journalists-THIS "STORY" is one that def. shows where YOUR priorities lie. Excuse me-but your readers ARE more interested in a shooting in an ELEMENTARY school in the US than the "gay marriage" opinion voiced by the youngest Barbara Bush....

February 2, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

Thanks for the info, you should get a job at CNN, I hear ( & see) they are in desperate need for "JOURNALISTS"...Thx again.

February 2, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • eyevibe

obsoletedude So he couldn't have stabbed the principal? Waited for her to walk into the parking lot and run her over? I guess only guns make killing easy in your mind. Tell that to the victims in the Russian airport, oh but wait bombs must be legal in Russia, otherwise that would never have happened according to your logic. You don't want to hear the argument because it makes too much sense. By the way the last sentence was real classy.

February 2, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • thymat

..........The janitor had a gun to protect himself from students.......Right?????????........The Principal should have had a gune to protect himself from the janitor......Right???????........The students had guns to protect themself from teachers......Right????.........The teachers had.,etc,etc.........Right????????

February 2, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • obsoletedude

Haha @ Brian. Well, seeing you are one of those morons that still supports gun use, I don't really care what you assume my intelligence to be. I think any society that allows any idiot to purchase, carry and fire a gun with nothing more than a 3 day waiting period is just asking for scenarios such as today's.

Brian, if you are out with your family and some crackhead walks up and points the gun at your child's head, please let him know how you support his right to carry that weapon. And if he pulls the trigger, ending the life of your child, you can come back here and say "It's all cool. I should have armed my kid."

People don't kill people. Guns kill people. It would be a lot harder for people to kill people if they had to do it with their own bare hands.

February 2, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

I vote for metal detectors & office areas being "separated" from classrooms by bullet-proof glass that requires a special key to get thru or "buzzed" in. Could be automatically locked if a buzzer was pushed, disengaging the key access. Me-I'll keep my concealed weapon with my permit thank you.

February 2, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

@obsoletedude

Well, you are still calling me names and using a dogmatic tone to your language. You are just as admant about removing guns from society as those who support them are willing to keep them in society.

I would not put my family in a situation where we would be around crackheads. And if I did, I would not let anyone approach me without some form of protection. Your assumptions are still baseless. You know nothing about me.

It seems like you just want a reason to call people names and while you are at it, insult, degrade, and push your values on them.

If you respond to this, try to make it sound more serious and rational. I am interested in what you have to say, just not the manner in which you purvey your argument. It's childish.

February 2, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rumbler

WOW! California has some of the strictest gun control legislation in existence. Guess maybe that stuff doesn't work very well. Whoda thunk it ?!?

February 2, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • JDSt.Paul

@obsoletedude – you make me so happy 🙂

February 2, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

@obsolete

Guns do not kill people.

Put a gun in the middle of a room. Surround it with people, how many die?

Put a a knife in the hands of a disturbed, angry individual, see how many people get hurt. Would banning knives make sense? Killing with a knife is no harder than killing with a gun it only requires you be within intimate range.

How many violent crimes in the US are committed without guns? Countries with strict gun laws still have gun related crime. Even states and US territories with strict laws still have gun related crimes.

February 2, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

@Chris.

Beware bud, he will probably just call you a moron and then tell you to kill yourself by putting your gun to your head and "click"ing it.

His arguement, inductively, is based around the sacredness of life, and its ability to be threatened by the presence of guns in the world.

But then he just completely flushes that argument down the drain by suggesting people commit suicide.

All he wants to do is insult, twist words, and be the center of attention. Much like a bratty 8 year old.

February 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • watanye

obseletedude-this could go on forever I grew up with guns –got my first one when I was 10 . I love to hunt. The last thing on my mind when I have a gun in my hand is shooting someone. I wasn't brought up that way. Like a lot of ill informed people you are making to many assumptions .

February 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • kristjan

We have gun laws in Canada..specifically, hand guns are illegal. So, the argument above that said well..without a gun he would have used another weapon is not valid otherwise in Canada we would have people attacking each other with knives daily as people are killed in the US daily by hand guns. No, it is a cultural thing. Guess what no one I know has a gun in their home except the odd hunter with a rifle..pretty hard to tote that around a school.

February 2, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

@Kristjan: You are right it is a cultural thing, but that also makes it sound like Americans are more homicidal by nature. Which is just wrong any way you look at it. We are all human beings and things like isolationism and finger pointing are ruining what should be a global brother and sisterhood.

Couple that with the fact that population of the united states is an entire order of magnitude above that of Canada and you will suddenly see that there are different social problems.

Stating that someone from one country is less homicidal or by suggestive attack, than a person from another country is an attack on the country, not the person themselves.

I haven't made on argument so far about gun control or removal, it's all been about incredibly shallow and unmoving comments.

Why can't we all debate without attempting to degrade the other parties character?

There are 300 million or so people in the states, there are around 30 million across the Canadian provinces. There are more problems and statistics with a larger control group. That is simple mathematics and involves nothing of human nature.

Please, someone make sense here without blatantly insulting other people or entire populations!

And people say that guns are the problem.

Why don't we outlaw narrow minded dogmatism. Or maybe outlaw unwillingness to see concepts from other points of view.

I am not defending gun rights by the way.

February 2, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • watanye

@brian very nicely put

February 2, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kay

OK. People are claiming that, if the principal had been carrying a gun, he could have defended himself. My question to @watanye and others is...how???

Some guy pulls a gun on you, you think he'd going to let you get out your own gun? Some guy shoots you, you think you're going to be in any condition to get your gun out and shoot back?

TELEVISION AND MOVIES ARE MAKE- BELIEVE!! Good grief.

February 2, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • davetharave

@eyevibe – your argument is used by gun rights people everywhere. What you all fail to see is that having a gun makes it about 100 times easier to kill somebody. Or 5 people, or 10. If I have a gun I can kill you from 100 feet away. I can be a lousy shot and still kill you. What's another common weapon, a knife ? I have to be really close to you to kill you with a knife. I could stab you 20 times with a knife and you may survive. I have a much better chance of fighting off a knife wielder than someone with a gun. Guns make it too easy to kill people, and a gun that is made for the sole purpose of firing 30 shots in 5 seconds . . who needs that except someone who wants to kill people.

February 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

@Kay

See you made a good point without calling anyone names or insulting anyone elses point of view.

I do not agree with your premise, but I will respect your argument.

Let us follow this example just a bit, and maybe we will get somewhere.

February 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • EnoughAlready!

@Brian – Bravo! Very well put. It is time for people to wake up and remove their heads from the ostrich holes and see the light of day. Both sides have valid points and both sides ultimately want the same thing. A stop to the pointless and sickening violence. It's nice to know I'm not alone in seeing this very clearly. Sadly your point is just another valid reminder of how shallow some people can be. They see it their way and there is no other way. Odd example but I think it applies to the mindstate of some who comment on here: A man walks into McDonalds and asks for a cup of hot coffee. They give him one and he carelessly spills it on himself (his own doing). He then walks up to the counter to inform the manager he will be suing the McDonalds Company for making his coffee hot. It's a "they want their cake and eat it too" mentality. There HAS to be open minds and compromise from both sides or it will be a neverending cycle. Again, the above is not the best example but I think it displays the mentality of some when they hit the Post button on here. One of the more valid arguments I have seen from the the side against guns is that they are stolen far too easily from careless sorts. I will readily acknowledge that it does indeed happen and needs to be addressed, yet I also know that there are things such as biometric thumb locks you can buy now to keep ANYONE but you from ever removing the lock without a severely large risk of destroying the firearm. If people are responsible and they follow laws and are protective of what they have, more power to them. Now I can see the other side of the coin as well in that many gun owners do not take such measures, or worse, do not educate their children or those around them with no experience about real dangers and also about the value of life (sadly we have seen far too much of that become reality over the last decade). I agree that folks such as those should have no legal access to a weapon. It's about education not regulation. I do own a few guns for home protection. I do take them to a range and sharpen my skills and my use of them responisibly. I also use a rifle to hunt for food to see me through the winter. I feel like crap everytime I have to hunt, but I am thankful that I have the rifle because honestly my family would have very hard times during the winter without the extra help. I, like many others, can't afford to keep the freezer stocked through the winter like it should be. Besides the fact that we are eating less fatty and polluted food. I have hunted with several people in the past and have seen those who obviously care and respect that what they hold is no toy, and those who do not. I guess my point is that putting a gun in someones hand does not make them a monster, being a stupid fool with no moral grounding or scrupples does. That said I also believe that yes...there are far too many guns in the world, but without being able to get rid of the illegal variations first, I'll be damned if I get rid of my legal weapons anytime soon. I for one will not become a random stat on a police sheet while in my own home. People need to keep them at home though if they have no CCP. They have no business owning one if they do not show they can be responisible, on this I think most all of us agree. The biggest problem that is inherent here is how does one grind down both edges of a double edged sword equally. Agreed, the only way to make progress is for misconceptions to be tossed out and open and broad minds to listen/look/learn and then attack the problem with an educated mind, or one that can cut through bias and see both sides fairly.

February 2, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. paul

for a shooting at an elementary school this is pretty pathetic coverage...

February 2, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • fierybuddha

what? you think you're reading christian science monitor or npr?

February 2, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brandon

Dude it is all agenda based. CNN has an anti gun agenda and the Gaby Gifford thing gave them enogh fuel to inflame it. Now they just grab at any story that has to do with people shooting each other no matter how little info they have.

February 2, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

obsoletedude-so you don't know how to shoot a gun-see, if someone came up to one of my children & had a gun I wouldn't hesitate even as they were approaching-I'd shoot them (concealed/loaded weapon) also/training in other ways to disarm someone. I can only say IT'S YOUR CHOICE, BUT MY RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS; but, you can move to another country where they don't permit it-if you feel safer. I also hope you have some other means of protecting your children, other than whining...

February 2, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • watanye

Carol your my kind of lady!

February 2, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

i think the story is just now breaking so stay tuned..

February 2, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

@kristjan: Well I KNOW how Canada is so well known for it's lack of crime; except if you're a sled dog of course...Last time I heard of ANYONE from the US volunteering to move to your country was during the Vietnam Draft...which, really wasn't voluntary, come to think of it-so NEVER would come to mind...Now, how come so many Canadians MOVE HERE, and why on earth would they...Heck, why have we made so MANY friends from Canada (on vacations at the NJ shore-that us & 1 other "US" family met & now the 10 CANADIAN families vacation with us EVERY year, and ALL of them would LOVE to live here...however, they are in their own businesses or Well Off with Corporations....However, my Dr. here IS from Canada-go figure...Needless to say, Canada is NOT without it's CRIME-Not by any means nirvana....Sorry-#1, should have said this earlier-so sorry- BUT ALL our CANADIAN FRIENDS & our Dr, also a friend, HAVE HANDGUNS....Gee, wonder HOW that happened-I'll have to ask....You just don't KNOW who has guns...making them illegal just doesn't work...even after 911...sorry to penetrate your false sense of security-oh & by-the-way, you can get shot & killed by a rifle also, hey, even a shotgun-go figure?

February 2, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony

Why the media still reports stuff like that. This is America people get shot every day. Today is an elementry school tomorrow will be a buss stop and a grocery store. You have guns you have shootings – get use to that.

February 2, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

@davetharave: Although I do own guns-I too see NO NEED AT ALL for semi-automatic weapons, unless for use by the military or police. There is ONLY,in my opinion, ONE reason to have such a WEAPON, unless you meet the above criteria-& that is for NO GOOD. The 8-year-old who killed himself (while the Father-a Trama DR-videotaped) should NEVER have been permitted to even ATTEND the gun show. But, you would THINK the Father (esp. educated as he is) would haven't ALLOWED his children (he took 2 sons) to HANDLE the guns, ESPECIALLYan UZI....It's sad that even if we outlawed them the FACT is CRIMINALS & SICK PEOPLE already & will continue to have them. WHY guns are allowed to be LOADED at GUN SHOWS (or even sold/shot) SHOULD BE OUTLAWED IMMEDIATELY! I have never been to a gun show & after learning they could have loaded guns there (NEVER MIND UZI'S) I have informed everyone I know, just in case they had nothing to do on a rainy day-and have suggested they inform all their friends. THERE SHOULD BE A 3 DAY WAIT PERIOD to ATTEND an EVENT that will put a loaded gun in ANYONE'S hand. Talk about an accident or PERHAPS INTENTIONAL tragedy!!! (Gun shows,in my opinion, have been VERY lucky so far, that some insane IDIOT hasn't gone to one & shot at people w/a loaded UZI intentionally-I guess the SICKOS had no idea..)Someone mentioned how CNN is "gun-happy" after Giffords tragedy-I agree also; but STILL question HER OWNERSHIP of the entire tragedy. She knew she had had incidents (broken windows, etc) IT WAS HER JOB to make certain the people coming to see her, or just going food shopping, were protected-she should have had security and perhaps No One would have been killed. SHE (Giffords) OWNS guns....I Will hold HER accountable forever. GUNS might kill, BUT they ALSO SAVE lives. PERFECT EXAMPLE. Security WOULD have SPOTTED "the shooter"...20/20.

February 2, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Simon

As they were taking the supsect to the station, a Terminator appeared through a time bubble and killed the police officers. The supsect is not account for and is considered dead.

February 2, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • T2000

I laughed.

February 2, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Todd Voight

A police officer came to my door and asked "Have you seen this boy?"

February 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rob

So which LAUSD officer accidentally shot himself this time?

February 2, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • LaRofromNorthAL

Placerville is so far removed from LA, in so many ways, your comment is not even remotely funny.

February 2, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Um

You're an idiot

February 2, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ProperVillain

Great to see those gun control laws working yet again...

February 2, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • watanye

sounds like reefer madness

February 2, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

@May: California has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation. Maybe you can wave your magic wand and make all of the guns disappear.

February 2, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • May

I don't think people should be allowed to have guns, Chris. That's my point. I'm not a believer in gun control except as a step in the direction of an outright ban.

February 2, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richp, Easton, Pa

May, hang a big sign up in your front window declaring your home to be a gun free zone and lets see how that works out.

February 2, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brandon

I agree with watanye

February 2, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • watanye

you have got to be kidding me –you are not in favor of gun control -just an out right ban sounds pretty controlling to me.

February 2, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • May

People who know me know I would never have a gun in my house. And, fyi, I know a lot of people who feel just as I do. If someone wants to invade my house and shoot me, so be it. I will not participate in our gun culture. Lay down your arms.

February 2, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Babs

Amen. For some reason we gotta give guns to everyone who asks. I wonder about people who say that gun control laws wont stop shootings... Maybe we should have stupid jerk control laws.

February 2, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • watanye

back-up I need Back-up

February 2, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • watanye

When the crap hits the fan and this country gets split down the middle, May will be the first one one the spit because she can't contribute to the tribe!!!

February 2, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

I think it should be illegal not to be armed ! Then all this crap would get sorted out- Power to the People!

February 2, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • stevenscarl

@may if you look at countries with all out gun bans you will see a preponderance of criminals who are still armed with a large majority of crimes committed involving illegal banned weapons. Look more locally at chicago, washington d.c., new york. the two former had all out gun bans but when it comes down to numbers crimes fell in chicago when the bans were repealed. As for washington, and new york a preponderance of violent crimes involved only the criminals having been armed. these locations impose all out bans but yet gun crimes are still committed. please stop listening exclusively to the brady campaing, and liberal media. Start doing your own research on crime stats. If you only listen to media that supports your ways of thinking you become very narrow minded.

February 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • CC

RichP hang a big sign in your front window saying you have guns inside, and watch how many times people break into your house when you're gone.

February 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • IxNay

May, I wish there was a way to give your comments 100 'likes' because I would. I am with you. Lay down your arms.

February 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • stevenscarl

@babs sheer genius absolute genius. you must be a French muslim.

February 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • watanye

take away my fire arms and you have put freedom as we know it in jepardy

February 2, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just a thought

You can't hug your children with nuclear arms! 😉

February 2, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • OmniKronosus

May
      Getting rid of all guns would be even more problematic than getting rid of illegal immigrants.

February 2, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • watanye

no you can't –but my son sure as hell smiled and hugged me when I gave him a shotgun for for his 15th birthday

February 2, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • S

Gun control won't be that effective if only a few states have them. What's to stop someone from bringing in guns from another state? Of course it is not going to work. Maybe ban guns as a country? Then they'll come in via the borders. So now we have all the drug cartels running the streets armed to the teeth and we're left with nothing to defend ourselves. How about arming everyone with nuclear weapons? Yea, that will solve everything. Because everyone will be more responsible because it is *dangerous*.

February 2, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • mental midgets

@stevenscarl – when you speak of these "other countries" i guess you ignore Canada? pretty strict gun laws up here (particularily against hand guns, which are illegal where i live. period.) We seem to not be overrun by gun toting criminals, in fact a police officer hasn't died in Toronto of a gun shot wound in a decade so there goes that idiotic argument. Also, i'd like to draw your attention to a story that was on CNN today about a mother who shot and killed her teenage children with a handgun this morning. the story states "she had to postpone her plans due to the 3 day waiting period". I ask you this, if she hadn't been able to get that gun do you think her kids might be alive right now, and their father (who is an officer in the military) might not have had his entire family ripped apart? think before you post.

February 2, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Set_Us_Free

Whoa the earth!

February 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lori

Janitor John Leubbers was arrested in his home. Earlier today he shot the principal of Schnell Elementary School in front of 4th grade students. The principal has suffered a critical wound and is being treated at Marshall Hospital in Placerville. Students are being bussed to the El Dorado County Fairgrounds.

February 2, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anne

Thanks Lori. Good writeup of the facts when we need them. May the Principal get well soon.

The rest of these psycho-rural commentators, take a page from Lori.

February 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

Thanks Lori. You should be a reporter! I recently moved to Placer county and am not all that far away from there. I guess we will get the full details on KCRA tonight. I hope that poor Principal ends up OK.

February 2, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. obviousman

No need to worry, our celebrities ignore the issue in LA and hold a concert to help people in another country. Ask Nashville about Haiti.

February 2, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • C

EXACTLY! What about the flood in the Midwest that wiped out farms and houses, there was no dang concert for them, no benefit on TV with all the self righteous celebs saying how much they care. Care about the US, care about the KIDS IN THE US, stop having concerts and adopting kids from other countries, lets fix home first!

February 2, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • That'sRight

That is right! Take care of your own country (U.S.) first. We have enough problems at home.

February 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • S

We have poor people, orphans, hungry kids just like anywhere else in the world. Why do we constantly see TV ads about poor people, orphans, hungry kids from other countries? Not that they are any different, but we need to start taking care of our own people here, right in your own backyard. Donate to the schools. We are lagging behind in education.

February 2, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huh

But we live in the greatest country God ever gave man, and our ways are perfect. We are better than everyone else. There are no poor, no sick, our systems are infallible. If anything, we wish those limousine liberal people would stop donating, the poor need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

February 2, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Marc

But, but , but, gun control is so strict in Kalifornia.....

February 2, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nicole

I was hoping that CNN would have more info than this on a school shooting! FYI, the gun isn't to blame, its the idiot using it!

February 2, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • May

Question: why do we allow "idiots" to own guns? Who decides who is an "idiot" or which person may one day get so upset at someone that picking up a gun seems like a solution? That could be almost anyone, right?

February 2, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Tell may that, ha ha ha

February 2, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • S

May, I have to agree with you this. Who decides which country should have nuclear weapon? It's the same concept, except one weapon is far more powerful than the next. Who's to say that a nuclear armed dictatorship might not someday go crazy and start launching nukes over silly arguments? This is what is happening to this country. Someone gets emotional, has access to a gun and we see them on the news. No guns = less of these events.

February 2, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Greg

California...is that near Cairo?

February 2, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kelli

Wow, this is crazy! We need to start focusing our attention on people here at home, sorry but we have our own issues that need to be resolved!! Sad that this is getting such little coverage.

February 2, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chris

Yep, gotta love those gun control laws.

February 2, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Geldof Rat

I dont like wednesdays

February 2, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. sean

Thanks to anyone who posted facts, and to the idiots insulting the US, get a clue.,g

February 2, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |