Elementary school principal killed in shooting; man arrested
Police arrested janitor John Luebbers, 44, in connection with the shooting.
February 2nd, 2011

Elementary school principal killed in shooting; man arrested

The principal of an elementary school in northern California was shot to death Wednesday, police said.

Placerville Police Chief George Nielsen identified the victim as Sam Lacara, 50, the principal of Schnell School, who was shot in the upper torso.

John Luebbers, 44, a custodial employee, was arrested in connection with the shooting, which was believed to have stemmed from a dispute between the two men, Nielsen said.

No schoolchildren were injured, but authorities believe one student may have seen the shooting.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime
  1. NuckinFuts

Yes yes. The only sick people with guns are us poor schmucks citizens. The Government drops bombs on babies and women, but they shrug it off as collateral damage like God can't tell the difference when someone murders someone else. Fools. Most the violence we see in America is due to the fact that our culture is bankrupt and corrupt. I could create 2 physically identical clones and raise them in different environments. One I'd raise with love, justice and morality while the other I'd raise around violence, corruption, drugs and lies. My money is on the one raised with care or love not being violent.

February 2, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sam

What is this world coming to when the only solution is violence?

February 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rob in CA

I have to chime in on this one. If you think an outright ban on guns will stop the violence, it won't. Our founding fathers knew that hundreds of years ago. Thier intent was to allow anyone to protect themselves from undue tyrrany. Someone pointing a gun at me is undue tyrrany and I deserve the right to defend myself. Assault rifles? Of course, for law enforcement and military – John Q Public has no need for them to adequately defend himself. What should be enforced and maybe expanded is the waiting period. I for one have no issue waiting 3 days or 3 weeks. I have nothing to hide. A criminal wants his gun right now so he can do his drive by or score his drug money in a home invasion. Extremes in any direction don't work (hell, just look at DC!). It's called moderation, compromise...common sense. The people that think everyone should have a fully auto .50 assualt rifle in his backpack and the people that think no-one should own guns are equally at fault for ratcheting up the rhetoric. Let's agree to disagree and find a compromise middle ground folks! F.Y.I., no, I don't own a gun. Yet. 🙂

February 2, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shoot em

You should own a gun. Someday you will wish you had.

February 2, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob in CA

Shoot em – I may just do that the way things are going nowadays...

February 2, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Steve-O

This whole section should be called "This Just In...2 Hours Ago!" I've never seen a world wide "news" website that has less information in their reporting!

February 2, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Plcerville

Parents are finally getting to meet their kids at the fairgrounds. I feel so sorry for them.
    Good coverage on KCRA.com
    Luckily my brother had just picked my nephew and passed the janitor on the way out. Sister-in-law works at the hospital and the word is not good.

February 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mabel floyd

"guns do not kill people kill"
    really? my friend went to dinner at a very nice restaurant on the water .she and her husband met another couple to celebrate a birthday.
    another patron at another table took off his jacket–a gun fell out and discharged and hit my friend. the bullet went though her left buttlock–up through her left hip bone-through both intestines–hit the sciatic nerve–and lodged in her chest. she has had 2 surg. so far–has a clostomy–they are unable to remove the bullet fo far. 9 days in the intensive care–now in a rehab center.
    the gun did it. no finger was on the gun. the gun was a single shot daninger that has no safty lock on it. the shooter said he is very "sorry" he just "forgot" the gun was in his pocket,
    the restaurant had 2 signs forbidding guns in the restaurant. however , the police said the sign did not conform to the signage laws in texas so it was not enforsable. the perp. did not even get a ticket for disturbance of the peace . nothing–he just got to say sorry "bout that and go home. my friend had to fight for her life. today she is alive, but her life is changed forever.
    how is it that the police have to be trained extensively in guns and monitored to keep us safe. the sloppy red neck only gets a simple test and gets a peice of paper that allows him to put others at risk.
    i would rather be shot by a criminal then by a sloppy neighbor or a non-thinking, non caring stranger.
    i think someone who has to carry a gun to face life is a coward and i wish i knew how the rest of us could be safe from them.

February 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob in CA

Mabel, That's a horrible story, I hope your friend can pull through. I can't believe the police in TX didn't at the minimum cite him with reckless endangerment by carrying a weapon incapable of being put in a 'safe' mode freely in a pocket where it could discharge for any reason. A 'free pass' is a miscarriage of justice. That bening sand, and I don't mean to be insensitive at all, but your friends story is a very, very small percentage. The 'victories' of weapons preventing violence and not harming citizens far outweigh the 'accidental' (and I don't think your situation is accidental, I think it's negligent) incidents. When I lived in Tucson, I pulled in to a convenience store that had just been robbed. People outside could tell what was happening and when the guy came out, 2 civilians had a bead on him. He surrendered. There are many stories like that in AZ, TX and other states with more open gun laws. My buddy was walking with his son in Tucson when a loose pit bull charged him and his son. He drew his .357 and fired. He missed the dog (yes, how can you miss a dog at 10ft?), and the officer cited him for discharging his weapon in city limits. Basically the officer said "if you hit your target you are fine, if you miss it's negligence". I can't believe the TX officers didn't do the same to the moron who thought a derringer was an appropriate weapon to carry for self defense. In any event, us law abiding citizens do feel for situations like yours and we also can't believe that the law isn't tailored to outline true self defense weapons vs. historical or military. I hope yoru friend does well and recovers as much as she can as quickly as she can.

February 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ImJusOutHereBreh

If everybody had a gun there would probably be less shootings.

February 2, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. RD

"Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns." Well, call me an outlaw, because I'm keeping mine!

May, you have a very naive outlook on life in my opinion. Yes, I own firearms, and if someone sneaks into my window at night looking to rob my place or somebody kicks my door in during a home invasion, they're going to be in for a rude surprise. I sleep very well knowing I can protect myself and my wife while we are at home. No, there are no kids in the house anymore to get ahold of my weapons, grown and gone.
    Let me ask you, May... GOD forbid, what would you do if someone broke into YOUR house while you were sleeping? SCREAM and hit them with a pillow?

Dave E
    Northridge, Ca.

February 2, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • May

An eye for an eye makes the whole world goes blind. ~ Ghandi

I'll take my chances, Dave.

February 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Nuclear Johnson

I'm 100% opposed to a "gun ban". Whoever wants a gun who goes through the paperwork and process to get and legally own a gun, they deserve a gun. And obviously, you'll never stop criminals from owning guns, so there's no point in banning them outright.

What should happen, though, is like Chris Rock once said. Make ammunition for the guns to the general public cost $50,000 a bullet. That would prevent the everyday common person from getting so angry that they decide to shoot up a place as easily as they could right now. (Again, criminals would still find ways to get bullets illegally, so there's nothing we can do about that. It might make it harder for them, though.) So that way, you would have to have a seriously, seriously huge issue with someone before you popped 200 grand into their domes.

February 2, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Christina

The shooter shot the principal in front of the 4th grade class!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    ::(

February 2, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Norm

Archie Bunker said it best when Gloria was whining about people being killed by guns. "Would it make you feel any better if they was pushed out of windows?"

February 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Norm

If guns kill people, do pencils make all the spelling errors?

February 2, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. NetNinja

More stupidity about gun control. I love the scenarios people come up with. Kids don't go to school anymore they go to prisions and when metal detectors were first installed in schools is was for the large ammount of knives that were being brought to school.

squealy yes I am sure the assailant would probably shoot you for reaching for your gun. This is what they call having the upper hand. Doesn't matter if he was in the middle of Police Headquarters and he did the same thing. Your point is biased towards not being armed at all.

If nobody in society were armed with guns then we would all be at peace correct? Police officers never shoot anyone who don't have a gun in thier hands or mistake it for a wallet or Cell phone.

I own a gun and it's your right to own one too. Or if you live in a state that doesn't allow you to own one then good for you, stay there or leave the U.S.
    I promise I won't shoot you or brandish it, unless you force me to. Just don't break into my home in the middle of the night.

February 2, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Plcerville

Busses are rolling now!

February 2, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Gaucho420

Gun control, who needs it? Let's just shoot each other out like the in the Wild west, those were the good ol' days (TONGUE FIRMLY IN CHEEK).

February 2, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rbnlegnd

The shootout at OK corrall, the most famous shootout in history, happened in a town with strict gun control. The town of tombstone had big signs at the city limits informing people that they had to turn in their guns while they were in town. For some reason, the bad guys ignored those laws, much like they ignored the laws against shooting people.

February 2, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |