Elementary school principal killed in shooting; man arrested
Police arrested janitor John Luebbers, 44, in connection with the shooting.
February 2nd, 2011

Elementary school principal killed in shooting; man arrested

The principal of an elementary school in northern California was shot to death Wednesday, police said.

Placerville Police Chief George Nielsen identified the victim as Sam Lacara, 50, the principal of Schnell School, who was shot in the upper torso.

John Luebbers, 44, a custodial employee, was arrested in connection with the shooting, which was believed to have stemmed from a dispute between the two men, Nielsen said.

No schoolchildren were injured, but authorities believe one student may have seen the shooting.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime
  1. scranton

One thing is for certain. If we were having these debates face to face I doubt there would be anybody calling each other idiots. Always easy to type tough on your keypads.

February 2, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Brandon

May, sorry to tell you this but you aren't very bright. I guess you haven't heard of the recent shootings in the U.K. where there are the toughest gun laws in the world. Even if there was an outright firearm ban, the criminals would still have their hands on one. I have carried a firearm everyday for over 10 years and hunted since I was old enough, and guess what? I haven't killed anyone.

February 2, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Truth

Great! First elementary students are having ** in class, now they are ** each other. Imagine that. Remember Sodum and Gomorrah? 687 days. Check the Mayan calendar.

February 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Norm

Truth, what you said, I agree, I also think if we had better parents we would raise better children. In turn, better adults.

February 2, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. May

I'm glad you have never killed anyone. What's the point of carrying a gun if you don't intend to kill someone? Waving it around and THREATENING to kill someone?

February 2, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • May

(@Brandon)

February 2, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Radiostar

The reason for carrying a gun is not to KILL someone. It is to defend you and yours from a threat to your/their lives. I don't carry one every day hoping to KILL someone. I hope that I never have to use it to save my life, but I am PREPARED to neutralize the threat with equal force. A gun in the hand, makes a 90 year old on equal grounds with a 300lb UFC champion.

February 2, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Obvious_Guy

There weren't so many shootings when everyone had opportunity and there wasn't so much garbage entertainment available to everybody. Slowly many people are brainwashed into believing they can answer their problems with murder. Blood is on many people's hands not just the shooter.

February 2, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. RD

Misquoting Ghandi will not protect you in a firefight, May. I appreciate your trust in pure chance, but I prefer to tip the scales of providence in my favor by being able to protect myself. As a Viet Nam vet and combat veteran, I have learned the value AND the responsibilities of owning firearms.

I DO wish you all the best, May.

And my thoughts are definitely with the victim of this obviously mentally disturbed individual who LOST the ability to basically see right from wrong.

Dave E
    Northridge, Ca.

February 2, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • May

Thank you for your service, RD. I have no problem with "a well armed militia." I just don't think you need a gun when you get home and are a civilian once again.

I misquoted Ghandi? I think I had a typo...but I believe the meaning is quite clear.

February 2, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Plcerville

News Conference at 2:00 PM PST on http://www.kcra.com

February 2, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ono

I am no longer a sympathetic reader of handgun violence in my daily dose of news.
    School shootings are not news. They aren't even sensational anymore. They are merely information pieces for the communities they occured in and add to the database of shooting nunbers for statistical analysis. If I was a news editor I would no longer waste space on this type of story. Until there is a serious effort to remove or regulate pistols I don't give a damn reading about gun shootings.

February 2, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mental midgets

oh America, laaand of the free and home of the... i need a gun to protect myself from all of the terrifying people outside my front door... braaaaave.
    Geez, do you really believe that everyone is out to get you? i can only assume the answer is yes since that seems to be the most prevalent reason presented for having guns.

February 2, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Radiostar

Do you believe that crime doesn't happen, and criminals don't exist?

February 2, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Erik

Watanye you are an idoit.! Even if the principal had a gun, most probably he did not have it on him, loaded. Most the shootings are done by people who bought their guns legally.

February 2, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. R. P.

Unfortunately it lies on education of people about firearms....I agree there should be more security measures taken in schools of both students and staff to prevent his from happening...

I firmly believe that it is our right to own and carry a firearm, it is bout being educated on how and when it is the right time to use it... make people who wish to own/carry under go test/evaluation to determine their state being for issueing and renewing their license

February 2, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • May

I bet this janitor knew how and when to use a gun. I bet he knew it was "wrong" to shoot the principal, too. And, I bet he didn't care! We just make it easy for him, by giving him such easy access to such an easy-to-use deadly weapon.

February 2, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Radiostar

@ May

Lets just ban guns outright then! Lets make it so easy for a criminal to just pick and choose ANY LOCATION they want, to, (Insert malicious deed), unhindered, and unstopped. At least, until the police arrive(?) and MAYBE catch the bad guy. But not before they get to run around and do whatever they want! The police bring chalk, and pens.

Repeat after me: "The police have no legal obligation to protect me."

February 2, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. X-mas story

You'll shoot your eye out.

February 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sierra

I went to this school & the man who was shot was my gym teacher. So sad.

February 2, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. imformoreguns

May...its my family history an I want my kids to pass it on so...no....also we should ban cars their killing the world ...sounds stupid doesn't it? So is a gun ban

February 2, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |