Dollars & Sense: Cowboys cheerleaders cash in, Verizon’s data snag
Verizon reserves the right to slow down your access speed on your new iPhone 4.
February 3rd, 2011

Dollars & Sense: Cowboys cheerleaders cash in, Verizon’s data snag

Verizon to slow data speeds for 1 million customers: On the day the iPhone went on sale for Verizon Wireless customers, the carrier delivered a warning to its heaviest data users: Verizon reserves the right to slow down your access speed. But how much will it cost to switch your iPhone to Verizon?

$3 million gone in 30 seconds: It may sound like a lot to shell out for a commercial spot during the Super Bowl, but some companies clearly think it's worth the cost. Last year's game drew about four times the audience of the first Super Bowl, in 1967, when 27 million viewers saw the Green Bay Packers crush the Kansas City Chiefs. And Sunday night football draws an average of 20.8 million viewers. Check out a sneak peek of the Super Bowl ads.

Cowboys cheerleaders cash in (video): For more than 30 years, the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders have made money for the Cowboys NFL Franchise through branding merchandise, Barbie dolls, calendars and a reality TV series.

The economy is on the mend? So says Fed chairman Ben Bernanke. Speaking to a room full of reporters at the National Press Club, Bernanke said there are signs of stronger consumer and business spending. But the recovery is still not at a point that will significantly reduce the unemployment rate, which sits at 9.4%.

GM, Ford and Chrysler driving up auto sales: AutoNation, the country's largest network of auto dealers, said sales rose the most sharply at dealerships selling Ford, General Motors and Chrysler products. New car sales surged 24% at dealers selling Detroit brands, compared with 15% overall.

Filed under: Budget • Dollars & Sense • Economy
  1. raven

I used to pretend I was a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader when I was little, and my mom would flip out at what they wore THEN . I bet they rake in the bucks still cuz its always been true s.e.x sells !

February 3, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JerryJones

You leave my cheer squad alone! It's tough work getting on the squad. Back in the day all you had to do was look cute and bounce up and down. Now there are charity events, calendar shoots, and high intensity dance routines! Grrr.... Do you really think guys go to watch them? No! Guys go to watch football, but the cheerleaders are a nice bonus. 😉

February 3, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Noproblemsinameristan

look its all good news...plenty of riches.. A super rich nation... Missing no meals.. Obesity is the only real health issue...and high blood pressure on point spreads. The dow and the games posting higher than petrol.

February 3, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Noproblemssinameristan

super spending... Super dow..super women.. No problems..record spending. No tea party here.

February 3, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. anasmith

"Clearance Auto Insurance" rates are very low and now I am saving a lot on my car insurance. Dont be fooled by 5 mins can save 500$

February 4, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. raven

Whoa! I hear what youre saying and I know its not the same as back then but its not as if theyre wearing turtleneck sweaters and long underwear during those calandar shoots .thats all i meant. im not downin em,i wanted to BE one. Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah!!

February 4, 2011 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. JimJones

Jerry Jones was just teasing raven. In all seriousness I've seen their tryouts and the looks are placed second to the girl's ability to dance. I like the Jets cheerleaders too. They sometimes wear these scant flight attendant outfits that make me wanna join the mile high club.

February 4, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. tomcat

@CNN and Mallory Simon.....I am tired of being "cloned" on this website......Please read any post that I have written and compare it to recent ones. You have my email and IP.....contact me....There are others , whose screen names have been "hijacked" and faced the same problem. Your attention to this matter would be greatley appreciated. This is the real tomcat ....Phil....I go back to work next Mon.......Cesar....I know what pharmacy your parents use.....

February 8, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |