Egypt’s influence on the Middle East
Jordan's King Abdullah II, left, shakes hands with Hamzi Mansour, leader of Jordan's Islamic Action Front, Thursday in Amman.
February 4th, 2011

Egypt’s influence on the Middle East

Countries across the Middle East are watching the chaotic unrest in the streets of Egypt and recent demonstrations in Tunisia with a close eye.

In Jordan, King Abdullah II sacked his government, named a new prime minister and met privately with leaders of the nation's main Islamist group in response to anti-government protests there. The Islamic Action Front, the political wing of Jordan's Muslim Brotherhood, planned another round of demonstrations Friday. On today’s American Morning, Salameh Nematt, Jordanian political analyst and international writer for the Daily Beast, joins AM’s T.J. Holmes from Amman, Jordan.

Nematt says anti-government protests and how the violence is being handled in Egypt are having a "major influence on public opinion" throughout the Middle East, especially in Jordan, which he calls a "moderating force" for the United States in the Middle East.

Nematt describes why Jordanian protesters are taking to the streets and how the king is reacting.

Filed under: TV-American Morning
  1. b. acin

let the people of eqypt work it out themselves. why should our soldiers die over there for their problems? we already have too many young Americans dying around the world. time we stayed home and took care of our own problems for awhile. let the chinese send troops.

February 4, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • helluvafella

I agree with you up until you say let the chinese deal with it. We dont want a communist power to go over there and back them up. We want another democratic power.

February 4, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mike Rene

Therefore it seems like the egythian people sarted this problem to U.S. Enttentoin which is already having so many problems to deal with, so U.S. Should let them their own proplems, as they started it, they should have a plan B, someone better to lead before pushing Mobarak out, or it will be a civil war,

February 4, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Mike,what Egypt needs is a Communist Revolution similar to that of China. As one can see,Capitalism has dismally failed in that country whereas China has become a leading power surpassing even that of Capitalist(I can't mention the name of the country for fear of having my post blocked).

February 4, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Daniel

As I type this in my parent's basement in Newark NJ. Really what I meant was the US needs a French style revolution where those who plunder the working class get plundered themselves. Communism is the same as capitalism when both are run amok with corruption. In a communist country everyone except the elites waits for food. When capitalism runs amok there is an elite class as always, but the people must work harder for their food. To be correct China is moving towards socialism. More people than ever in China's history can buy more expensive items like cars (Buick is doing quite well) or tvs. By embracing capitalism China has realized a way to get it's people off the government payroll and into the global marketplace. China will never embrace true free market capitalism because they have too many people to ever find jobs for all of them hence their socialist stance. All of what I have stated can be fact checked through your favorite search engine.

February 4, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Daniel

America. See it's not blocked. Oh maybe I should take my meds...

February 4, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. SovietScientist

Da! Daniel is correct! I didn't defect from mother Russia to seek exile in the US to escape from communist rule. I love communism. I love working 60 hours a week for roof over head, loaf of bread and toilet paper. Getting paid in actual money had no influence on me at all. That worker's revolution really worked out for everyone. I liked the millions who were killed for thinking differently the most.

February 4, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cesar

Egypt helped keep the peace.

February 5, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |