The day's most popular stories
February 5th, 2011

The day's most popular stories

The five most popular stories on CNN.com in the past 24 hours, according to NewsPulse.

Teen's alleged police beating caught on tape: Houston's mayor and police department were on the defensive Friday, two days after graphic video came out showing several police repeatedly kicking and beating a teen.

Chick-fil-A controversy shines light on restaurant's Christian DNA: The ongoing Chick-fil-A flap – which has gay rights groups blasting the restaurant chain for donating food to an anti-gay marriage group – may be a fleeting controversy for a privately held company that is more accustomed to fiercely loyal patrons and generally positive press coverage.

Arlington burial refused for U.S. ally: The family of a man who fought alongside U.S. troops in Vietnam have been told their relative will not be allowed to be buried at Arlington National Cemetery. FULL STORY

AT&T fires back in Verizon iPhone ad bout: A complicated love triangle is playing out on television, not on soap operas, but in commercials from AT&T and Verizon Wireless about Apple's iPhone.

Egypt's government meets opposition: Apparent fissures in Egypt's regime surfaced Saturday as key members of the embattled ruling party, including President Hosni Mubarak's once heir-apparent son, resigned their party leadership posts and the vice president began talks with opposition leaders.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Egypt • Food • Military • Most Popular • Religion • Technology
  1. chrissy

well no wonder teenagers are so disrespectful these days! a parent isnt allowed to correct their child, schools wanta know why ur kids mouth off but the police can kick the crap outta them! whats wrong with this picture?

February 5, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • fock fda

I'm from Texas & u hear how bad HPD beats people all the time. Guess there finally finding out cameras are everywhere. Doubtful it will stop anything since we have a genious local government that thinks funding the education is a waste & at the same time support funding more law enforcement & spend more in the prison system. If u stop funding education more youngsters go to crime & since convicts make for cheap labor this will probaly be the beginning of the corruption u see all over Texas.

February 6, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mikey

I do know if i talked back to a teacher or my mom i would Have had a belt taken to my butt so if it was good for me then it would be for my child there is a beatin and then there is beating.

February 6, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

thats exactly my point. thank you. but if u use a belt on ur kid u can and most likely will, go to jail and lose ur kid!

February 6, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

Kinda frustrating huh chrissy.

February 6, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

phillip i been looking 4 u glad u finally showed urself. and ya know im not so much frustrated as p*ssed off. lol ya know i never hit my kids but a cpl times i wanted too. lol ya know one of those was just this week lmao

February 6, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

anyway an answer to ur question earlier today ...nope no word from andrea. im just gonna let her tell me when shes ready i guess. shes bein a brat and i suspect she knows it but she has a hard time apologizing

February 6, 2011 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

ok its been a very long day 4 me and im gonna have another just like it tomorrow and my pain med is kickin in so im gonna crash. ttyt phillip g nite ok

February 6, 2011 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  8. COL. BAT GUANO

chik fil-a 4 ev ur

February 6, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

If a child were to touch a hot stove and it didn't burn enough to cause him to remember, by the time that child was 15 his hands would be charcoal. By the same token, if a child misbehaves and is not lovingly disciplined...you get my drift. The rise in delinquency and the drop in grade point averages is due to this simple law of nature not being followed: If it's hot, you WILL feel it, one way or another. (sorry I missed you again chrissy)

February 6, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  10. Ron

Im not a very religious person, I believe in god and all but I dont go to church like I should and I am definitely not preaching. Im 36 years old and in my 36 I have seen them take relion out of schools and a parents right to whip a kid if they need it. In the town of 12000 we now have a police officer that walks the halls at the highschool and instead of a small juvenile office we now have a juvenile detention center.

February 6, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

Big monsters give birth to children, who are raised to become monsters themselves. Big monsters make little monsters. If you think you were born that way, think again.

February 6, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. HBobbie McLeod

Don't know where to post this, but as an unbelievably loyal CNN follower, I am so disappointed in the coverage on the Ronald Reagan Celebration today – – – Why must you be so consumed with your opinions that we cannot enjoy coverage of this event – – why will you no longer cover events in their entirety and save your eulogies until AFTER the events? I do value your opinions – in their place. Let US view the events, then let us hear YOU!

February 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. kbattle

sometimes i feel that our gov. veiws our children as science experiments. am i alone?

February 6, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

@fock fda...I like your s/n...if it stands for the Food and Drug Administration. And I appreciate your post. It calls to mind back not long after September Eleventh (of fame) Congress voted in the largest increase in Prison funding in our nations history. "To house the tens-of-thousands of terrorists we will be arresting" was the given reason. That same year, education funding was also "increased", but by such a small percentage, given inflation, it was actually a decrease in ed. funding.. So you see, this is not limited to Texas. (ever been to Lake Granbury?) //@

February 6, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

Oopsy! //@Kbattle...I hear you. That makes two of US! (not alone)

February 6, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |