Ohio college student killed, 11 wounded, university says
February 6th, 2011

Ohio college student killed, 11 wounded, university says

A student at Ohio's Youngstown State University was killed and 11 others, including six students, were wounded in an off-campus shooting Sunday morning, university officials said.

No further details were immediately available about the shooting in the northeast Ohio city, and the condition of the wounded was not known. University spokesman Ron Cole said there was no threat to the campus, but campus police have stepped up their presence "as a precaution."

Stay with CNN.com. This story is developing.

Post by:
Filed under: Ohio
  1. i rock

Youngstown is a useless bip on the map and all you oooh me oooh my thinskin wimps dont realize it was one. .count em one that died. .thats all and you mousekateers didnt even know him! grow up

February 6, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. know your rights

Our mayor thinks demolishing abandoned houses is the answer. We are right between Cleveland and Pittsburgh so we have a lot of drug traffic. Between 2000-2009 our population dropped 40k+ and the poverty rate is over 25%. 50% of the people in the inner city have suspended DL's which means no insurance. I wish Jim Trafficant was Mayor. He has what we need

February 6, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. zion

Is this one of those political distractive strategies used to steal away public attention during time of change in history? Hope they're not trying to steal focus from the new freedom strikes going on in afrika and middle east. The media did this and killed the public's when it came to the truth about 9.11 to save the fed azz.

February 6, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Michelle

I give good head also

February 6, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Extinctnraamericanyouthworldwide

bush cheny travel is now banned in switzerland and other non n.r.a. Countries. Banned in parkville r.o.t.c smuggling air force missouri also. So today the briefest moment of silence for the least intelligent people on earth. We will remember you in our history classes of tomorrow.

February 6, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

@know your rights:
    I assume you are talking to me. Lame excuse? I think not. I live near the steel mills of Chicago and NW Indiana, and I can tell you from experience that it's been a downward spiral in these communities since the steel mills all but closed down. The abject poverty in some of these communities is disheartening, and yes, it is because of the steel mills closing down!!! I don't know why the shooting occurred; I only stated that I have heard Youngstown has gotten more dangerous since the closure of the steel mills, as it has I'm my area. Hence, more crime. Hence, more illegal guns. Hence, more shootings.

February 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mr_Obvious

Banansy: You're on here a lot. At least I get invited to gatherings. I'm off to watch the super bowl and not alone. Have fun crying yourself to sleep tonight. I'm actually easy to get along with. 🙂

February 6, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. know your rights

Well you live in a Liberal State that doesn't want you to protect yourself so good luck with that.

February 6, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy

I'm at a SB party already, with REAL friends, not surrounded by blow-up dolls and mannequins, like I'm sure you are. And, as I've stated before, I'm sure that you are the life of the party, being as you are the only one actually alive.

Cry myself to sleep? Never. No reason to. Now, go back to getting your date drunk by pouring booze on your hand.

See, I'm actually easy to get along with, too. 🙂

February 6, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy

^Meant for Mr. Oblivious, people.

February 6, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy

@leeintulsa:
    I'm with you!
    GO STEELERS!!!!

February 6, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

@Mr_Obvious...everyone is invited to watch the super-bowl somehwere. (Hardly evidence of your being an outgoing well-travelled man 'in-the-know'.) It would be like an ancient Roman citizen bragging about how much free bread he planned on eating at the Coloseum. Hard to speak with someone who is so full of it[bread] he he...have fun though champ.

February 6, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

banasy? Steelers? Just because you live near steel mills I reckon. And how is it possible that scrap metal can be shipped clear from Pittsburgh to China and back again cheaper than it is for us to do the same thing with it, sans the shipping? Slave labor? That's what they tell you. Really, how is this even possible?

February 6, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

@nixon, I didn't know Al Capone was from Yougstown. Really, old mobsters live in Youngstown? What do they do for a living there? (and is nixon your real name? can't imagine anyone borrowing it. no offense sir)

February 6, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. someothername

This was an early morning gathering, not a bunch of drunken frat boys, this is more similar to a home invasion

unarmed students, early morning gathering no one would bring guns in case someone had alcohol later at the Superbowl watching

armed criminals in a gun free zone

sound familiar?

Fort Hood shooter chose the gun-free area of the base instead of the shooting range on base ... wonder why?

Here's the facts:

2 non-student gang bangers gate crash (intrude/invade) a Frat gathering, they are told to leave. They return and shoot unarmed students there like fish in a barrel.

If any alcohol was going to be at the gathering, any licensee would, as a law abiding citizen, leave his gun at home. So what you have is criminals invading a "gun-free zone" to shoot unarmed students.

Criminals illegally carrying guns to shoot unarmed students is an argument FOR Campus carry ... not AGAINST it.

For cryin' out loud, you anti-gun people jump on every tragedy to plead your cause.

Give it a rest please.

February 6, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

I thought it was the wee hours after the party..? Runnin out of booze, people wakin up and headin home. U know

February 6, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |