Analyst: NFL players stand to lose plenty if lockout happens
Some folks are wondering whether the Super Bowl will be the last NFL game in 2011.
February 7th, 2011

Analyst: NFL players stand to lose plenty if lockout happens

The contract between NFL owners and the players' union is set to expire March 3. Many people are asking whether Sunday's Super Bowl will be the last NFL game played in 2011. What is at stake for the players, the owners and the fans?

Rick Horrow, a sports business analyst, attorney and professor, says the NFL has never been stronger.

"If you don’t believe me," Horrow said, "take a look at the Super Bowl. Astronomical ratings."

If a lockout or walkout happens on March 4, the players stand to lose not only salary and health benefits, but also a good chunk of their playing careers, according to Horrow. The average NFL player's career is between three and four years.

"You can’t get that back," Horrow said.

For the owners, things are not that tough.

"The owners ... get one year of television payments, which they negotiated in good faith," Horrow said. "That, by the way, is $4 billion."

The fan should know that if a lockout does happen March 4, the 2011 season still could be saved. Owners and the players' union still will have the spring and summer to get a deal done, Horrow said.

Click the audio player to hear the full story from CNN Radio's Jim Roope:

You can also listen to the CNN Radio Reports podcast on itunes or subscribe to the podcast here.

SI.com's Dan Shaughnessy: NFL stoppage would be disastrous

Post by:
Filed under: Pro football
  1. Cesar

Oh

February 7, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy

@Cesar:

Yes, I made a note of the other Cesar; how DARE he have the same name as you? Lol! Are you MY Cesar, the ex "Big Joe"?

And I made up the Ruffie answer. I had no clue. Which answer is correct of the two Potter answers?

This is easy:
    "What the h ell d'ya want us to do, you mo-ron?"

February 7, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cesar

Actually, I think he's doing it on purpose, but I could be wrong. Yes, ex Big Joe. Humm, "Howard the Duck." As for my answer, I tried, tried, can't get that one. Give me till tomorrow? Just two hints, ok?

February 7, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar

"It's a Wonderful Life," with Jimmy Steward. Do you feel sorry for the NFL players? Shall we send them flowers?

February 7, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

@Cesar:

Ok. John Belushi, (although he didn't say it) and a horse.

February 7, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

@Cesar:

Oh, yeah, my heart is bleeding green jellybeans at their plight. I'd like to send them flowers or my sympathy, but I don't feel any for them! But if there is no NFL season, all the other people involved will get hurt; the independent vendors, other concession workers, maintenance workers, security, etc. Not really fair all around is it?

Jerks.

February 7, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cesar

True. I think good negotiations will prevail, much too important for all concerned.

February 7, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. OLE CROW

DUMB JOCKS.

February 7, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RUFFNUTT

i needs my fooseball..

February 7, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Off_Topic_Guy

Anyone else think "Jesus Juice" is schmexual innuendo for the holy ghost's jiz? I'm thinking Michael Jackson was a reincarnation of a creepy cult leader pedophile from 2000 years ago.. Just some food for thought. He had the Elephant Man's bones so it's really not off topic. I don't really care if the NFL locks out. I still have to work for a living and my life will go on. That too is not off topic either, so my name is a partial half truth.

February 8, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |