Monday quarterbacking: Super Bowl's hits and fumbles
Groupon's ad generated much controversy.
February 7th, 2011

Monday quarterbacking: Super Bowl's hits and fumbles

The Packers might have been the official winners of Super Bowl XLV, but if we're counting Web buzz, there were plenty of other victors Sunday night.

(And some losers, but we'll get to them later.)

"Chrysler 200" scored as the top search in Google on Monday morning due largely to a gritty commercial featuring Eminem and his hit "Lose Yourself."

Against the hard-driving beat of the song, a glistening new Chrysler 200 is seen. The vehicle is meant to replace the Chrysler Sebring midsize car, which was lambasted by critics.

"What does a town that's been to hell and back know about the finer things in life?" a gritty voice asks about Detroit. "Well I'll tell ya, more than most. You see, it's the hottest fires that make the hardest steel. Add hard work and conviction and the know-how that runs generations deep in every last one of us.

"That's who we are," the voice says. "That's our story." Cue Em, who himself has been in rehab. In the video, he walks into a theater where gospel singers are giving it a ton of heart. Message: The Motor City's woes are behind it.

Another clever ad, for the Volkswagen Passat, has us fawning over "The Darth Vader Kid," 6-year-old Max Page, who was busy Monday doing the rounds on morning shows. Max has a congenital heart defect, and has a pacemaker, but his physicians say he's able to live a relatively normal life. He said he was "thrilled" to show off his "special move" in the ad.

Speaking of special moves, fans appear to be torn over whether the Black Eyed Peas halftime show was banging or blah. The Peas, joined by Slash and Usher, sang their usual family-friendly hits, but Will.i.am tossed it up a bit and changed the lyrics to "Where Is the Love?" He rapped: "In America we need to get things straight/Obama let's get these kids educated/Create jobs so the country stays stimulated/This is dedicated to all the innovators."

There is far less debate over whether Groupon offended with its ad about getting discounts on products and services. During the ad, actor Timothy Hutton appears to be served a meal at Himalayan Restaurant in Chicago. "The people of Tibet are in trouble. Their very culture is in jeopardy," he says, adding, "But they still whip up an amazing fish curry!"

More viewers were probably munching on simpler dishes during the game ... like ... popcorn? Cameron Diaz was caught on camera feeding Yankees star Alex Rodriguez popcorn while they cozied up in a luxury box at Cowboys Stadium. Some people were disturbed, some enough to boo.

Speaking of booing, you all know by now that Christina Aguilera messed up the national anthem. The pop diva has apologized, and here's proof she does know the words. Perhaps forgiveness will come easier after watching these wretched renditions from the past.

Say what you will about Christina, at least she probably had a good seat. That's more than about 400 Super Bowl fans got. They were told they could not take the seats they'd paid for because their section of Cowboys Stadium was still under construction. No doubt those fans upon hearing that news had to dig deep, a theme that resonated during the games faithier moments. Even before kick off there was controversy over rejected ads from JesusHatesObama.com, a political novelty t-shirt company that had dueling bobble heads of Jesus and Obama, and the Fixed Point Foundation, a group that promotes Christianity in the public square. As Usher would sing "Oh my God..." or "Oh my gosh..."

Grading every ad: Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials 2011

Post by:
Filed under: Football • Pro football • Sports • Super Bowl
  1. TijuanaDog

I was out stealing cars while 80% of my community was glued to "the big game". Thanks NFL and Chrysler!

February 7, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • a

you're welcome eminim

February 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • whiteisnewminority

Your A FOOL!!!!!

February 7, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. disappointed

A great Superbowl but extremely disappointing half time spectacle and junk ads

February 7, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. whiteisnewminority

White people are the Minority now..........

February 7, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • SophyB

Great! Now my kids will have an easier time getting into their college of choice......

February 7, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Walken1

ROFL

February 7, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • GreenSpartan

...thats a nice thought...somehow I don't see that actually happening... Too bad..

February 7, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Insane Diplomat

Whites are the minority where? In jails, because not even that is the truth.

February 7, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. iPietas

I applaud Groupon and thank them for exposing a major injustice still going on today. This was a bold and honorable move i tip my hat to you. "an injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." – MLK

February 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robin Bray

And I'm sure you will give up all of your tech toys, phones, big screen TV's, computers, weapons for national defense and much more. All of these need rare earths for their production and China controls 95% of the production of these strategic elements. But if you wish to live in the stone age like the people in Tibet always have please dispose of all your modern tech made devices now........All I hear is silence.

February 7, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mimi G of Toronto

iPietas, I agree with your take on this. This ad on Tibet is actually speaking for the oppressed Tibetan people, who have no voice in Tibet due to China's tight control. And this is why the ad offends China; believe me, China is not offended because they care so much about the people of Tibet, but what Timothy Hutton stated is the truth, the Tibetans in Tibet are in trouble and the Tibetan culture is in jeopardy. This is the truth China does not want the world to know or hear. Thank you for the brilliant Groupon ad: message heard & understood, and the humor too!

February 7, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • iPietas

Robin, you must be stupid if you think China creates the weapons we use for our defense. Also, I have travelled extensively throughout my life, especially to China. Unlike you, i have come to the realization that human life values above money and material objects. By the way, China is not the only country to make electronics? Their economy is dependent on our economy just as much as we are on there's.. if we were to stop our trade that might actually be a good thing considering we lose 2.3 million jobs and 200billion in debt annually to them alone.

Thank you Mimi G from Toronto... spot on, spot on.

February 7, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Alex

It seemed like the football game interrupted the commercials, instead of the commercials interrupting the game! Now I know why the Super Bowl lasted 4 1/2 hours...3 hours of commercials and 1 1/2 hours of football. Overall, BOTH were pretty lame. Puppy Bowl was more entertaining during the breaks and slow parts of the game!!

February 7, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bill Duke

Half Time show was horrible. I though last year was lame but this year was truly awful. The sound system was terrible, the female singer sang off key and the rest of the band looked like programmed toy robots rather than entertainers.

February 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brinkman

Ditto / that Fergie broad looks surely good for something,but it ain't singin'!

February 7, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. LoPing

Everyone calm down and read some jokes here http://www.lotstoclick.blogspot.com

February 7, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. US picks and chooses

What has this country become ?

February 7, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Alan

I for one thought X-Tina did a great job in singing the Anthem, surprized me she actually sang the song without music, and she did not lip-sing the performance. So she missed some notes, but at least we know that she actually can sing. What would have been much worse is to have no talents like Britney or Lady Gaga fake singing. The BEP's tried to sing all of their songs in the set, the music was to fast and rushed. That was not good for the ears.

February 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Banana

Have you ever heard Lady Gaga sing acapella? she actually has a LOT of talent. I heard her live this year and she really surprised me with how well she sang a lot of her music with just her and her piano. i think she would have done an great job at it. Xtina wasnt horrible, but am not a huge fan of all the slides she did.

By far my favorite singer for the Super Bowl has to be Jennifer Hudson.

February 7, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • chamby

seriously? even if she got the lyrics right, her singing was terrible. the only way she got the notes close to right was due to the fact she sung every note around the correct one and managed to hit it somewhere in the process. enough trying to put your own spin on the national anthem. you have the voice, use it to correctly and respectfully sing the national anthem.

February 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denidoo

hell yes chamby, HELL YES!

February 7, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. A view from up North...

I think the lady that sings God Bless America and the Canadian National Anthem at the Philadelphia Flyers hockey games should perform your anthem at the Superbowl. I'm Canadian, but I don't think I've ever heard our Anthem sang anywhere with such beauty and respect. Her rendition of God Bless America is equally breathtaking. I'm sorry, but I don't know her name, but I'm sure someone out there will know who I'm talking about.

February 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • fairlane32

Was it Lauren Hart?

February 7, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Her name is Lauren Hart, and I think when she does God Bless America it's mixed with the classic Kate Smith version the Flyers have played since the late 60's. And yes, she is very good.

February 7, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • A view from up North...

Oh yes, that is the name I remember, thanks for triggering my memory because that was going to bother me! She's terrific!

February 7, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Robert Holt

Christina Aguilera's performance wasn't bad but she, like many performers, did a little bit too much screaming while she was singing.

February 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Richard Allen

Detroit can make a comeback is what the ad was saying. Don't lose faith in the people of the city. trying to make more of it is rather ridiculous. The message was simple and clear.

February 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Byrd

Sure, the Tibetan people's lives and country have gone down the crapper, but I still get my 30% discount...

Anyone who didn't find that commercial offensive is mentally deranged and completely devoid of even common decency: The Ugly American at its worst.

February 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Toasty

Thank you, that commercial made me sick to my stomach

February 7, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Holdenish

are you serious? It's just a TV commercial. Maybe you should thicken your skin a bit because I found it hilarious even with the understanding that they are an oppressed people. Relax you soft politically correct infant

February 7, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bud

People who sing the Nation Anthem should be forced to put up a "bond" that will be returned to them, in full, IF...they hit every word correctly. Say, a $100,000 bond?!! Plus, missing a word means the performer will NOT be paid. Now, let's see if they can figure out the words that most 7th graders know by heart. QUIT OFFENDING THE ANTHEM!!

February 7, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linney17

Most 7th graders know it by heart? You are delusional. Go out and ask 10 random strangers the words to the anthem and I bet less than half can recite it to you from memory and with no hints.
      She knows the words. She was nervous and forgot some. It happens to everyone. It's only human.

February 7, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • TRH

I can't speak for others...but I knew the anthem well before 7th grade. And I agree with your point. She shouldn't get paid on the grounds of breach of contract. No excuse for a professional singer to mix up lyrics of the national anthem. None whatsoever.

February 7, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Miss Raven B.

jesus joseph and lucifer too! what the devil has gotten in to you people! these comments are hilarious!!!! AND HEY YOU T DIDDY, SCREW YOU AND BASHING ON SLASH. that just shows how much class you have. which is NONE. now then, just because he went onstage with those talentless freaks dosent mean he sunk low. in fact, many people commend him for doing so because it shows that the higher ups still support the arts. and if you are to much of a NEANDERTHAL to realize that then you should just SHUT YOUR MOUTH. didn't your momma ever teach you that if you cant say somthing nice then dont say nothing at all. and to those of you who are being racist. UP YOURS.

February 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

I wish I could understand one thing that you said. Could you please speak English?

February 7, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |