Lindsay Lohan to be charged with necklace theft
Lindsay Lohan, seen here attending a Los Angeles Lakers game on January 9, is accused of stealing a necklace from a Venice, California, jewelry store on January 22, the Los Angeles County district attorney's office says.
February 8th, 2011

Lindsay Lohan to be charged with necklace theft

Actress Lindsay Lohan will be charged Wednesday with felony grand theft relating to a necklace allegedly taken from a Venice, California, jewelry store last month, a prosecutor said Tuesday.

Lohan, 24, will be arraigned on the charge at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Los Angeles Airport Superior Court, Deputy District Attorney John Lynch said.

The actress "allegedly walked out of the store with the necklace on January 22," a statement from the district attorney's office said. "The owner reported the theft to the Los Angeles Police Department, which investigated the
allegation and presented evidence to the D.A.'s office last week."

The necklace, which is valued at $2,500, was handed over to police just before they were to execute a search warrant to look for the jewelry in Lohan's Venice, California, apartment last week.

Lohan was already on supervised probation stemming from probation violations related to a 2007 drunk driving conviction.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: California • Celebrity • Crime
  1. kathleen frances

i know the world is down on her, but I dont think this is fair. I know for a fact that jewelers in LA throw jewelry and clothes at the celebrities. she is one of the most photographed people on the planet not, good or bad, never heard of this jewlery store until this happened and I live in santa monica. why would they let her walk out without paying for it?
    why didnt they stop her? it sounds like a bogus
    charge to me. this one I dont think is very right on. I hope the DA isnt bowing to pressure from some other source to
    charge her. this is a totally civil situation and she returned it ...doesnt sound right to me.

February 8, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • JR

I want to come borrow your car without you knowing about it. I'll bring it back eventually. That ok?

February 8, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leroy Diamond Deville

kathleen frances = Lindsay Lohan secret alias... HAhahahaha chump

February 8, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shamy

Wow! Do you think Lohan is innocent? After all the things she has done? Please Kathleen. Look at the bigger picture. She deserves a lot worse than what she is getting.

February 8, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • TracePace

"I live in Santa Monica"

Well Kathleen, that about sums all up right there!

February 8, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Stephen

Why is this a critical update on the main page? Is there a way to filter out this kind of news item? Normally, I just dismiss it and choose not to read it, but there's something about seeing this in the same space as events in Egypt, Jordan, and Afghanistan that is very frustrating.

I understand that ms. lohan is having a difficult time. I hope she can get some help. Still, this is not front page critical news.

Can you please develop a customizable CNN experience similar to Instapaper that allows us to see just news without entertainment updates?

February 8, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shamy

Seconded! I wish there was a filter!

February 8, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Alaska Man

CNN is getting the response that they wanted....All of us ragging on them (CNN). But then again it is L.Lohan, like the others, who gives a flying $%#^K? Innocent until proven broke. Got money, you get no time.....What a crock our country has become; it is all about the drama with the rich and famous and us middle class pay for it.

February 8, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Scott

Is she really that much a danger to society?
    I find it hard to believe with all the crime in Los Angeles that the DA is spending time and resources on this.
    Someone has it out for Lindsay or is a media hog.

February 8, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • TracePace

I know **exactly** who has it out for her: The mean, nasty, resentful, spiteful, unreasonable jewelry store owner who she stole a $2500 necklace from....

February 8, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Alex

good thing she likes to lick lips...

February 8, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jinda

Awww... the poor little lamb.

February 8, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tony

John, this is breaking news because it is of wide interest and just happened. Breaking news is news that is being make known with in a very short time of an event that is of interest to a lot of people.

February 8, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. she's toast

I would imagine the next step will be issuing a warrant for her arrest since she has violated her Probation.

February 8, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mark

Why charge her? If you convict her you won't make her serve out the full sentence. Just scold her, tell her she can't twitter for a few days and call it even. That's what the CA judicial system has boiled down to.

February 8, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nanci Grace

She's not convicted yet my peeps.....chill. I love her. Wish I could sit down with her for some time and try to talk some sense into her, conviction or not. Celebrities are news, love em or hate em.

February 8, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shamy

She's been into rehab more times than the earth's gone around the sun! NO ONE can talk sense into her. Nanci, I wouldn't put it past her to steal. She's a spoiled Hollywood girl who never really had any talent. The only good thing she did was Parent Trap. And that was when she was a human being.

February 8, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. SouthrnPrincess

Ok, I realize the irony of this being a "breaking new story", but I did click on it so I will ask – WTH is she STEALING a $2,500 necklace for?? I mean $2,500?? Is that right? Yes it's a lot of money to most people but not enough to her for her to steal it....she has really lost her mind because I heard they asked her to just return it and if she is that hard up for 2,500 dollars she is in trouble....

February 8, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

I agree totally.

February 8, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • iPwn

I believe her dad has control of her assets now. She may be broke.

February 8, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Hell

I seem to remember Winona Ryder doing the same thing

February 9, 2011 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  12. Air Force guy

Egypt? Afghanistan? Sudan elections? North Korea military talks? Double dip recession in England? All great/better candidates for the "Breaking News" moniker.

February 8, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Soller5529

Couldn't agree more.

February 8, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • R D

agreed

February 8, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lala

I's amazing how many people "don't care" yet still click on the article and comment it. I must be a rarity because when I'm not interested in a story, I don't even click the headline.

And yes, there are bigger things going on in the world. That stuff is still being reported. It is possible to report on more than one story at once. Notice how CNN has multiple new stories posted on their home page?

February 8, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linsay Lohan

you know you love me

February 8, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • R D

@Lala some of us want to express our opinion about what's going on

February 8, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • RpD

@R D

Express away... but the original poster seems to want to limit expression of the 'news' to what they view as 'news'.
      Don't want to read the entertainment section? Don't. I don't think the Hilton/Cyrus/Spears/etc airheads should dominate entertainment 'news', but I don't mind looking at 20-somethings, most of the time. Calls to limit articles can apply to any article, including Sudan, Egypt, etc. Hype is Hype, no matter the subject. The world would be better off if 'the media' just reported the basics and didn't hype it.

February 10, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  13. Tyhouston

Can you smell that, I smell publicity for a new Lohan movie or something. This is like Snoop Dogg being told to get busted with a gun every 6 months to keep in the spot light...

Stars records being blemished don't hurt their careers they make them stand out...

February 8, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobert

thats exactly what first came to my mind as well

February 10, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. PGelsman

Well, if this charge sticks, we won't be hearing too much from her in the future, she'll be in prison with OJ.

February 8, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shawn

Yeah right...... thats what they said the last 3 times.

February 8, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol Senal

I really hope so. This girl is hopeless or she hasn't had the right kind of therapy. Even dogs know when they've made a mistake. She's just hopelessly sick. I hope her lawyer can't get her off this time. We'll see she will probably get some kind of sweet deal anyhow.

February 8, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dan

Breaking News!!!!! Oh My!!!!

February 8, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |