Baseball player "kinda lucky" after coach gives him kidney
Wake Forest baseball coach Tom Walter gave a kidney to player Kevin Jordan this week.
February 9th, 2011

Baseball player "kinda lucky" after coach gives him kidney

Wake Forest University freshman outfielder Kevin Jordan said he feels "100 percent" better Wednesday, just a few days after a kidney transplant. His coach, who gave Jordan his new kidney, said he feels well enough to go out and coach a game.

"I have a strong sense of family," Tom Walter said, sitting next to Jordan, on CNN Wednesday. "When we recruit these guys, we talk about family and making a sacrifice for each other and believing something greater than the individual. This is a decision that most everybody would make for a family member."

Jordan has a rare immune condition that causes blood vessel damage. He had struggled to keep up with demands of homework and athletics at Wake Forest last semester while enduring hours per day of dialysis. But the teenager became sicker in recent weeks.

In late January, Walter announced to the Wake Forest Demon Deacons that he planned to give a kidney to a freshman who had not even played in a game yet. Walter explained that he stepped in after learning that none of Jordan's relatives matched the athlete's rare blood type.

"I would have been disappointed if I hadn't been [a match]," Walter said.

The stunned players broke out in applause, the coach recalled.

Jordan could have gone to the minor leagues after high school in Columbus, Georgia. He was picked by the New York Yankees in the 19th round of the 2010 amateur draft. But Wake Forest seemed like a better choice, both for its baseball program and academics, he said.

On Wednesday, Jordan laughed. The decision to go to college actually "preserved a little bit of life," he said.

Walter "may not think he's a hero, but he's definitely a hero to my parents, my family and me," Jordan said.

The coach said he doesn't feel like a hero. "I just did the right thing," Walter said.

Jordan will spend next semester at home recovering. Walter said he felt good enough to get back to coaching. Wake Forest plays its first game of the season next week.

Post by:
Filed under: Baseball • Sports
  1. tinh

What an amazing guy the coach is to do such a selfless thing! I'm 21 and just had a kidney transplant last month thanks to my mom. Trust me, dialysis really is incredible stressful to the body.

February 10, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jbond

What a great act of God's guidance. I was on dialysis and God brought my kidneys back after 9 months. I'll die before I go through dialysis again, plus I found out how little my 4 kids cared about me. They were strangers to me, especially the one that got most of my money. He came to see me twice in 30 days at the rest home and 0 Times at home in 7 months afters he got his inheritance. U spend ur life giving them then they throw U in the ditch when they Get their money and land. But it will come back 10 fold!

February 10, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • rdmom

Really? This is what you want to post for everyone to read? Now, do you want to share the truth? Should I share my story?

February 15, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • hdward

Well, well, well jbond...... We remember things differently don't we? I remember a father walking out of my life when I was 14 years old and he NEVER, EVER looked back. He didn't know if me and my sister (his other child by the way in case he forgot) had food, shelter, clothing, nothing. We never even got a birthday card from you mister. So don't you DARE pretend to be a "victim" of any kind whatsoever. Maybe your dialysis situation was God's way of showing YOU what YOU threw away years ago and now that you're in this situation you'd give anything to have them back, but it's too late. Now that all this time has passed and you're getting older and ill, doesn't give you any right whatsoever to feel sorry for yourself and/or try to place blame on anyone besides yourself. You made the bed you are lying in. I don't think we want to do this on here, but I be damned if I let you try to say ONE single bad word about me or my sister that YOU, JBOND, walked out on and turned your back on. Blame it on some drunk ass woman if you're not man enough to stand up and admit you didn't have the balls to stand up to her and instead you put her over your kids. (Maybe she'll be tested for you.) But WE know and GOD knows and HE is the one you have to answer to one day. Not us. Best of luck to you!

July 20, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jbond

Lewis Saintsing

February 10, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jbond

Lewis Saintsing is my name

February 10, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jbond

Just watch what U leave kids too soon.
    Lewis Saintsing
    NC

February 10, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jbond

Lewis Saintsing
    NC

February 10, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jbond

I got off dialysis and will die before I go back on. None of my 4 kids would even be tested. But then they already had their inheritance.

February 10, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jbond

Coach would never have him the kidney if the kid had been a nobody.

February 10, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Harriet Malinconico

I was recommended this web site through my cousin. I am no longer positive whether this put up is written through him as no one else recognise such distinctive about my problem. You're incredible! Thanks!

September 23, 2012 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |