Rep. Christopher Lee resigns amid reports that he tried to meet women on Craigslist
February 9th, 2011

Rep. Christopher Lee , a New York Republican, has resigned after reports surfaced that the married congressman was trying to meet women on Craigslist, a GOP source told CNN.

Lee acknowledged making "profound mistakes" and said his decision to step down was voluntary.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness," he said in a statement.

"The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

The allegations were first reported Wednesday afternoon on Gawker.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Craigslist • New York • Politics
  1. schoolsub

Fornication is wrong, whether your single or married.

February 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jh

if a family values repub is trolling for trash... dsnt that kinda of cancel out anyway?

February 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rich Jones

But at least he's creating a job for some enterprising young woman. Campaign promise kept!

February 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. pj

What is wrong with these goof balls?

February 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Matt

That photo suggests that it wasn't women he was interested in meeting...

February 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • irsh

What do you mean? That pic would attract lots of girls...

February 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. julie

The issue is, he lied! He is so not blond – he's gray and "classy" – yes all the "classy" married men meet women up on craigslist.

Otherwise, I could give a hoot about this. In fact, I wish all politicians lived their lives more publicly – then they would have a far tougher time creating rules an regulations about how the general public ought to live.

For the sake of full disclosure – I am a life-long Democrat.

February 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MikeR

Classy?

February 9, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Triman

All the politicians run on family values. I suppose John Edwards and Ted Kennedy are shining examples for the Dems. The guy is a schmuck and I actually applaud the fact he just up and resigned.so quickly. Now we can just move on. I am more bummed out we lost a republican vote.

February 9, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • ThinkAgain

I'm a Dem and agree that John Edwards was a schmuck. Ted Kennedy came clean with his demons and spent a lifetime working for the betterment of all Americans, practicing atonement in his everyday actions and words.

February 9, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Previous Poster

I hope his wife gets so mad at him that she posts her pic online, in just the same pose as Mister Man !!!

February 9, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ???

You really have to be an idiot to think something like this would not backfire.

February 9, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Michael Shea

I appreciate the congressman's honesty. I am a fiscal socialist and a social conservative. I was a staunch supporter of President Kennedy. Unfortunately JFK's womanizing will always tarnish his legacy. The same is true of President Clinton.

However I try not to be judgmental because we are all sinners. One issue that needs to be removed from partisan politics is the impact of organized religion especially Christianity. I say this as a practicing Lutheran. I do believe that organized religions have a role with issues.

February 9, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • LeeCMH

Garrison would be proud.

February 9, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. FreeThinker

Another member of the party of family values. Probably a Tbagger also. The repuklicans are bunch of hypocrits. You fools that vote for them deserve what you get.

February 9, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. irsh

I really dont care about all this nonsense that people do online. Look, so what if he is trying to get a date. I mean he is single or separated, Craigslist is a good way to meet girls. Girls find it a good way too. There are loads of decent guys on that site..

So embarrassing...Dude, dont be embarrased. I used to do the men for women ads, like 10 a day at one point..Its a waste of time dawg...better to meet gals through dating sites...But personally, I wouldnt put your pics on the ad...I never did that...maybe a dik pic or partial body pic...

February 9, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • bill

10 dik picks a day? It's a wonder you're still single.

February 9, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • irsh

stfu bill...i said 10 ads a day max...and that was rare...i rarely put photos on my ads...i woo by my words...and im hot in person..

February 9, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lesley

Yea, a "dik pic" is sure to attract the girls! Right.

February 9, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ThinkAgain

This just shows how un-savvy the GOP is when it comes to technology ... they are in NO position to lead our country into the future!

February 9, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. justwondering

How many republicans or dems got away with this type of stuff and where still pretty good lawmakers???
    I am just waiting for the next decade or two .Will anybody be of integrity with facebook quotes and all other kinds of private matter out there?...really people...who cares..let me keep my money..keep my house and feed my kids...what kind of crazy stuff people get off on I could care less about...

February 9, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • ThinkAgain

The problem lies with the hypocrisy of the GOP proclaiming they are the party of "family values" and the way they insist that Democrats are destroying our country.

Senator Al Franken is the model: he was up front about his past (most of which you can watch on TV or in movies) and had nothing to hide. That allowed people to decide that bit for themselves and then move on to his policy positions.

February 9, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |