Rep. Christopher Lee resigns amid reports that he tried to meet women on Craigslist
February 9th, 2011

Rep. Christopher Lee , a New York Republican, has resigned after reports surfaced that the married congressman was trying to meet women on Craigslist, a GOP source told CNN.

Lee acknowledged making "profound mistakes" and said his decision to step down was voluntary.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness," he said in a statement.

"The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

The allegations were first reported Wednesday afternoon on Gawker.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Craigslist • New York • Politics
  1. 2saymore

I hope by next year all republikkkans in the house will be out. They are so phony. Saying " We're Conservatives". bla bla bla.

February 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • BHNY

Democrats started the KKK. If you didn't go to democrat run public schools you have gotten a history lesson. Also, the demokkkrats had the longest serving senator who was also a klan member. Where's your argument???

February 9, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick in OR

@BHNY.....Much as the Republican party is WAY far away from what it was in the days of Lincoln, the Democratic party is not the same as it was when members of the KKK worked to suppress Republican voting. But having said that, the KKK was "resurrected" by Democrats. It was originally started by veterans of the Confederate Army. I don't see that many "Democrats" in office in the south.....where the KKK is strongest. Do you get it now?

February 9, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • BHNY

Rick – What party dominated the Confederate Army, The Pro-Slavery Democratic Part???? What party enslaves blacks now forcing them into one sh!tty area of a city, gives them barely enough food to live, and a sh!tty education so that they can never leave, all in return for votes – Democrats – Union Yes!!!! Robert Byrd – Klansman, Democrat.
      All Pols are frauds but I am sick of you libdbags and your propagation of hate. You have ZERO argument so you resort to "racist" Look it up before you use it.

February 9, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. teresa, ohio

whats the big deal... maybe he has an open marriage.

he does cut a fine figure in front of the mirror. he must have taken tips from Eddie Longs mirror pics : ) looks like he worksout some. People need to seperate a public servant and a man with a midlife crisis. one need not have anything with the other.

let a feller get his groove on.

February 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Chedar

Creepy! This guy just wasted his career and a disgrace to his family from doing this sensual pleasure escapade. In a Craigslist? WoW! That is very sleazy of this guy.

February 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joeymaz

That's tough. The internet is a harsh mistress. What a way to go down.

February 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. blahh

whoopsies.

February 9, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ken Wood

Ok, here's a guy who is apparently smart enough to become a CONGRESSMAN but NOT smart enough to do what he did and think he would not get found out??? Just another example of why our country is going to hell in a hand-cart... post-haste!!!

February 9, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. TheMovieFan

Obviously this is the fault of a biased liberal media!

February 9, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. AHAHAHA

It must be his first time, otherwise he would of quickly realized that face pictures are not required. LMAO

February 9, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. yousnoozeyoulose

Can't wait to hear about this on the Daily Show tonight!!!!

February 9, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. sharon

Is that the size of his member or his brain that he is demonstrating?

February 9, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. max

For all you who are so quick to point the finger, It would apear he learned this move from the Dem parties eternal leader; Bill Clinton. Now there is a man who performed some scandalous deeds (with very ugly women mind you) and then deny it and refuse to step down. Face it, Rep or Dem, politicians are all the same.

February 9, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. WNYorker

He has a history of this ladies – he used to put pictures of himself up on Matchmaker.com before his father sold the business – he tried to be "covert" then – and he was dating his wife at the time. He has issues people! My husband and I both said it was only a matter of time...old habits die hard.

February 9, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. David the Great

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This idiot didn't think anybody would recognize him. What a moron.

February 9, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MGL

Ridiculous is the state of political system and the truth is that we the people are electing a person to an ideal that we ourselves assign no real value! Who wants to wager he will be offered a guest apperance on Jersey show and will be offered an infomercial selling weight loss and work out products.

February 9, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Greg

He does look fit, but I thought the GOP were all about marital fidelity and other such moral hijinks.

February 9, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |