Rep. Christopher Lee resigns amid reports that he tried to meet women on Craigslist
February 9th, 2011

Rep. Christopher Lee , a New York Republican, has resigned after reports surfaced that the married congressman was trying to meet women on Craigslist, a GOP source told CNN.

Lee acknowledged making "profound mistakes" and said his decision to step down was voluntary.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness," he said in a statement.

"The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

The allegations were first reported Wednesday afternoon on Gawker.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Craigslist • New York • Politics
  1. KIM

your hair aint blonde its grey wow pol even lie about hair color

February 9, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. steve wa. state

come on people this is all obama's fault... you know it is....... lololololololol
    vote 3rd party....

February 9, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. KatyOC

No he shouldn't have been trying to cheat on his wife. But if all of the politicians (left, right or in the middle) who were either attempting to cheat, presently cheating or recently cheated on their spouses, were to resign- my opinion is that we would be left with only handful of elected officials. The bigger concern is his huge lack of judgement in posting beefcake photos on C-list. Oh yeah, and most women I know do not find that kind of photo cool at all.

February 9, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. searchingForAnAthiestExtremist

If he was a representative who ran on a 'government out of the bedroom' platform as opposed to a 'I'm holier than thou because family values blah blah blah' it wouldn't make a difference. Unfortunately, too many voters _believe_ what politicians (of all types) say...

February 9, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ryan

Once again this demonstrates how out of touch Republicans are with the average American....

Nobody meets women on Craigslist anymore...

February 9, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • max

Not true Ryan...I met your Mom there, and shes hooooooooooottttttttttttttt.

February 9, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

Oh max, you are the one that she said asked to be set up with Larry Craig. Which terminal bathroom do you prefer?

February 9, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lisa Mitchell

Mistake??? Ok, then! He comes from the "moral" party remember? Moral people don't step out on the spouses and solicit extra curricular activity!

February 9, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chantboy

Hot and cute! I'd do him!

February 9, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lis

OK, if he was a Kennedy he would not been asked to step down nor would we think he should. Think about it gang! Manor double standard going on!!!

February 9, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. steve craig

I'll bet his first thought was "maybe I should go profile".

February 9, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Brian Peterson

Epic fail. The self-taken mirror shot is sooo 2009.

February 9, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sheen

I cannot WAIT for the SNL skit.

February 9, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Obvious

All you guys who act like it's no big deal to cheat would just love your mrs. To bring home a cream pie for you to nibble on eh? Just don't ask where she got the cream cuz it's none of your business and it's really no big deal. That sore you got on your face? No big deal. Raising some other dude's kid? No big deal. You're accusing Lee of being gay, but perhaps you should look in the mirror.

February 9, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jlo89

@Jersey George

Not to turn this into an abortion debate but just because it's "the law" doesn't make it moral. The death penalty is arguably immoral and yet legal in many states.

February 9, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Byron E. Brown

It is at least refreshing to see someone admit wrong and step aside. Not like the ego driven senators and governors who think that no one can replace them. So they drag the taxpayers along, rub our noses in it and continue to collect paychecks, while telling us what a great job they are doing. At least he didn't drag his wife out to stand by his side and further embarass her.

February 9, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cindy

Just another smarmy politician. Doesn't matter what party they are from.

February 9, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |