Rep. Christopher Lee resigns amid reports that he tried to meet women on Craigslist
February 9th, 2011

Rep. Christopher Lee , a New York Republican, has resigned after reports surfaced that the married congressman was trying to meet women on Craigslist, a GOP source told CNN.

Lee acknowledged making "profound mistakes" and said his decision to step down was voluntary.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness," he said in a statement.

"The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

The allegations were first reported Wednesday afternoon on Gawker.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Craigslist • New York • Politics
  1. soy sauce

LOL...go easy on him. He's a republican, don't expect him to be that smart.

February 9, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Troy

Typical two faced Republican. Runs on values and does this on the side. This is why I like the Democrats, they don't lie as much about their values!

February 9, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Truth

Obama obviously photo shopped this. Liberal propaganda strikes again.

^@dim sparks, yes its sarcasm

February 9, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Monkey

Don't worry so much about the hypocrisy of this guy's family values, worry about how someone so dumb can get elected into office.

By the way, all you men who post shirtless pics on your personal ads...totally tasteless, even if you are in good shape. Put a shirt on!!!

February 9, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bleh

I'm soooooo gonna watch Jon Stewart tonight...at least he doesn't sugarcoat the b s like the rest of the "news" channels...I get more info from him than anywhere else. He's more believable, too, lol

February 9, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. justxsayxno

This should be between him and his wife. Everyone else should keep their nose out of it.

February 9, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SmarterHuman

He looks exactly like W.

February 9, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. liberalhate

Where was the backlash when Lewinsky gave Clinton a bj?

Left wing nuts are being completely hypocritical, they themselves are against family values.

February 9, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

Learn what hypocrisy actually is before you refer to it.

February 9, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • SmarterHuman

Quit your whining you overgrown child.

February 9, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carmel

We're not against family values. We just don't run on a platform of family values and then whip it out anytime they see a good looking woman. Republicans, the party of no, can't seem to say NO when it involves infidelity. They think they are above it all. If this guy was stupid enough to post a photo on Craigslist, as he apparently has, than good thing he got caught. The more we can get stupid people out of Congress the better off will be.

February 9, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MVP

Anybody remember when the Republican Party called themselves the "Family Values Party"? This puts yet another nail in that coffin.

February 9, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lesley

Something about the way he is holding his right hand makes me think he is looking for men, not women.

February 9, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bleh

@Obvious: LMAO!

February 9, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff

Where are all the name calling Repuplicans/conservatives that like to criticize Dems for personal indescretions? Oh, that's right, they ARE hypocrites....never mind.

February 9, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

indiscretions

February 9, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ed

They don't lose a seat.

February 9, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. zwizard

Why does everything have to be because you are Republican or Democrat. Several democrats as well as Republicans have been in the news from chasing their Paiges and children to women not their wife. It is the fact he is a human and sins. You without sin throw the first stone. To God he is no worse than the liar, murderer, drunkard, Gossiper, false witness, etc. Most of man's troubles come because he thinks he is greater than he is, and that includes those throwing the stones whose comments I read. Straighten up your act and when you are perfect you can look down at him. Shame on you. We as a nation need to get a new sense of morality and honesty so our country can heal and prosper again. All of this dishonesty is a smear on the country and disgrace on all Americans. I see sins of others I think of as worse than what I do, but I have to remind myself God dont see things the way I do. I have to change, not God. Wrong is wrong, Period. Say good things about others for a change.

February 9, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

Republicans campaign on things like family values.

February 9, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Because Republicans want it that way....divide and conquer for the power. Republican first, American second...that's how they operate.

February 9, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. kburgoyne

This is SOOOO easy to predict. FoxNews will spend the next couple of days trying to claim the "left wing" media is making too big a deal out of this. FoxNews will try to pretend the whole thing is not news worthy. They'll also use the immature approach of trying to point out cases like Clinton in order to deflect the story - an approach that contradicts taking personal responsibility for one’s own actions. Clinton does not provide an excuse for this guy's action. Of course if it had been a Democrat, FoxNews would be yelling the story non-stop 24/7.

February 9, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carmel

I suspect FOX News will say its a doctored photo done by some left-leaning, God-hating, non patriotic Democrat 🙂

February 9, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |