Rep. Christopher Lee resigns amid reports that he tried to meet women on Craigslist
February 9th, 2011

Rep. Christopher Lee , a New York Republican, has resigned after reports surfaced that the married congressman was trying to meet women on Craigslist, a GOP source told CNN.

Lee acknowledged making "profound mistakes" and said his decision to step down was voluntary.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness," he said in a statement.

"The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

The allegations were first reported Wednesday afternoon on Gawker.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Craigslist • New York • Politics
  1. Samuel Jr.

President Obama is responsible. He wants change in Washington, and the Congress man simply believes change must start from home.

February 9, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • kburgoyne

Or at least from the top down - clothing-wise, that is. 🙂

February 9, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lis

He did nothing wrong as far as politics. Come one – if we knew all that is going on with the various status and dating habits of those in politics and what goes on the bedrooms THEY WOULD ALL RESIGN!
    What he does at work not off work...
    And what about the GAL that he sent picture to? Who is she? What is she getting out of it – Her 15 minutes of fame?
    He did not post that picture on Craigslist...He sent her the picture directly.
    Come on....Read the facts.

February 9, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • kburgoyne

Try telling a Republican "he did nothing wrong" when a Democrat gets caught like this. And the Democrats don't even have the hypocrisy problem of trying to claim they're the only ones for "family values".

February 9, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Charbell

I find it interesting that they party that makes family values (other peoples' families) it's priority keeps losing seats because of infidelity scandals with women, men, and pages.

February 9, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • germaine

If you find that interesting then you are obviously easily amused.

February 9, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. germaine

This guy does have some credit due to him, he recognized his mistake and resigned. What liberal has resigned for committing adultery?

Lefties trying to somehow capitalize on this are hateful morons.

February 9, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carmel

oh please get your facts straight before you start calling people hateful morons. Funny how you right wingers, when you can't defend your party, call everyone morons. Start looking inward dude at who the moron is.

February 9, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • kburgoyne

I don't hate this guy. How could I? He's provided a tremendous source of laughs. The laughs have nothing to do with his shirtless picture. They are entirely based on the hypocrisy of claiming to be a flag waver for "family values", and then, guess what?

February 9, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jim

oh how we forget. clinton got his di*k sucked in OUR white house and most of you believe he is one of the greatest.

February 9, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Obvious

You partisan tools are amazing. How can you justify one bad behavior while grabbing your pitchforks for the same behavior done by your political opponent? Does that not register inside your brain? Both are wrong. Who gives a $H|T about some cooked up slogan "family values"? Really? Lol. Clinton stared into the tv and lied to the entire country about a hummer , but his slogan wasn't "family values" so he gets a pass. Same for Kennedy, Spitzer, Kennedy, Barney Frank, etc.. They didn't have a slogan so it's cool. I would have had more respect for Clinton had he looked into the camera and told us it was none of our business. He lied to everyone. He gets a mulligan though because he didn't have a slogan. Lol you sheep are hilarious. I'm moving out of this country asap.

February 9, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carmel

Awesome – another right winger headed out of the country. I love it!

February 9, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick in OR

I'm curious "Obvious".....what country is more to your liking?

February 9, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. kburgoyne

Classic. FoxNews.Com is running "car black boxes" as the top story and this story buried below it. Apparently car black boxes are more important. 🙂

February 9, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. SmartRageous

What is UP with men posting pics they take of themselves in various stages of nudity in front of the bathroom mirror?

No, don't answer that.

February 9, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Merl10

As we can see in this blog, the pressure to resign on the congressman comes from this now widely-held assumption that integrity is synonym with perfection in one's private life. The concept is invented by religious conservatives to allow them to support the lucrative deals made by politicians and deep-pocket lobbyists as long as they are not involved in personal scandals. You are a man of integrity and a legendary role-model if you run the country without consulting with anybody other than your friends who make millions on government contracts. You ceases to be a man of integrity if you do a good job representing those who elected you but you have problems at home like those who have elected you.
    @George.
    In my opinion, integrity is very important and our elected officials must be held to a very high standard when they conduct our business. I do not think that a person who struggles with personal life weaknesses is showing a lack of judgement in the job that he/she does for us. That person is just struggling to handle life under pressure, that's all. Of course, this stops when criminal or abusive activities are taking place in that struggle. We loose many good people who have learned how to serve this country well because zealots feel personnally embarassed of their vote when they slip.
    If Rep. Lee was a good congressman for his people, I hope they elect him again in the future.

February 9, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

I think his struggle is with his stupidity

February 9, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bleh

@zwizard: you're absolutely right. What a lovely man Lee is. He should be commended for his actions. DUH!!! This is a blog!!! Wth do you think we were going to do, applaud? Pat him on the back? Hi-5 him? If I give you a dollar, will you buy yourself a clue?

February 9, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jeff

a republican that doesn't go after boys.Thats a first

February 9, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. John McFadden

so they should give him the First Annual John Edward
    I thought that would goto the dem. politician that got a woman pregnet while his wife was fighting cancer.

February 9, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • kburgoyne

Edwards didn't campaign pretending like Democrats are for "family values" and Republicans are not. There are also plenty of liberals who no longer support Edwards for what he did. What Edwards did does not eliminate this guy having to take personal responsibility for his actions.

February 9, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Baba Cool

On the plus side, he's not a bad looking guy.

February 9, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

true I'm sure many a manly man will print the picture for lonley late night use

February 9, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kaptin_kma

Lol. The party of family values. 🙂

February 9, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Georgia

Why only Craiglist and not also on you tube and red tube.com, but is he not married? Now that he resign, who will tell the ex-congressman to chech out Red tube.com. there he see exactly what he was not getting at home, there he will got the whoe thing unfilter. why always from New York? common GOP, Common former congress man, you work is waiting for at red tube .com. check it out for you satisfaction, i mean a click will convince him.

February 9, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |