Rep. Christopher Lee resigns amid reports that he tried to meet women on Craigslist
February 9th, 2011

Rep. Christopher Lee , a New York Republican, has resigned after reports surfaced that the married congressman was trying to meet women on Craigslist, a GOP source told CNN.

Lee acknowledged making "profound mistakes" and said his decision to step down was voluntary.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness," he said in a statement.

"The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

The allegations were first reported Wednesday afternoon on Gawker.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Craigslist • New York • Politics
  1. Brian Moreau

Apart from the fact that he is married what is so wrong with that? The only people intrested in this are the media, the average man on the street couldn't care less. Note the use of "trying" because you can't meet real women on Craig list most are fraudsters and spammers.

February 9, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • kburgoyne

So you're saying that conservatives who claim to be for "family values" couldn't care less that this guy just trampled family values? From that I can only conclude that conservatives are actually lying about being for "family values".

February 9, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. EvilEmporer

Goooodddd.. Yes.... Let the hate flow through you... Divide and conquer!... Gooooddd... All of you are blind hypocrites!.. With every post you make yourselves my servants!!!!... Goooddd... Ahahahaha! Oh I'm afraid your rebel friends will not take down the corrupt government anytime soon.. Ahahaha!! Unlimited POWER!!!

February 9, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kburgoyne

I find it terribly amusing the number of "conservatives" who claim they are for "family values" trying to defend a guy who just trampled family values. I don't run around defending what liberals like Edwards did. I'm a left-leaning centrist that no longer supports Edwards for what he did. If conservatives want to be taken seriously, they need to stop trying to defend what this guy did.

February 9, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. 00Dave

As I'm sure Dr. Phil would ask, "what were you thinking"?

February 9, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. independent

Soo... If you want accountability by both parties you're either a right wing nazi or a flaming left liberal depending on whom you want held accountable? Wonderful logic. I voted candidates from both major parties, so what does that make me? I want accountability in both parties, so... Yeah... I'm amazed you people can even type.

February 9, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. zwizard

The debt blamed on Obama is the 700 billion giveaway to his banker buddies that didnt create jobs of do anything that was promised except add to the debt ane the Obama care that he lied about raising cost and taxes that will cost taxpayers trillions. Want to know more? More than any other president ever. Period. No Exceptions. I guess the right is always wrong in spite of Clinton's indisgressions and McDonalds 100 thousand bribe money hid in the freezer and another tried to sell a seat on the senate of our great country. Oh just blame it on the republicans. Better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt. Just becasue you can remain anonomous on this blog some people think they cans say anything. What if your friends found out the things you say? How many are y ou talking about behind their back?

February 9, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JJ

He resigned really fast. Gotta wonder what else he might be afraid will come out. Embarrassing eitherway, especially a party that has become the mouth of Right Wing Christians. It won't do. It won't do at all. 🙂

February 9, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bill(1stBlackPres)Clinton

Well at least he didn't get on national tv and lie to everyone about it after he was clearly caught. Boy if I had a time machine... Heeyuck heeyuck.. Oxford did wonders for me. *twanging the banjo*

February 9, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mr.Me

After seeing the reaction from both camps I can conclude that you're all biased clowns.

February 9, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Independent

Okokok... I got it. The liberal take on muslims is not all of them are terrorists, ergo we shouldn't judge an entire religion based on the actions of a few, but an entire political party is bad because of the actions of a few philanderers! Got that.. Now the right fans the flames of anti islamic sentiment while defending christianity because we can't judge an entire religion based on the actions of a few pedophile priests. K got that. So you're both tarded then? Got that too.

February 9, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ayesha

Im stumped..!! How can this guy be so foolish???

February 9, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Hoosier

ok....the ironic part is obviously that he his a member of a party that touts moral superiority. They do not support family values, unless your family looks like the one they are trying to shove down everyone's throats. This is the party of smaller government, except when the government regulates reproductive rights, who marries whom and prayer in school. Dont you get it? And please do not off Reagan as the paragon of perfection. Was he still married to Jane Wymann when he knocked up Nancy before marriage? Please.

February 9, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Independent

@zwizard: Oh both parties ran up the debt. Neither one will take responsibility for it though. Apparently spending $ like drunken sailors actually builds up a surplus budget.. Google Bizarro world for more details on Bizarro spending.

February 9, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. guitarharry

The GOP leaders must have given him his packing orders so early because there is more to this scandal; I wonder if he also was interested in meeting guys?

February 9, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Scott

Sad. Convenient remorse, eh? Not too moral. Wasn't upset with what he did, just getting caught. It only seems like it's always the republicans. Sinners all. Just that the republicans claim to live by strict values and they just don't. I live in a state that is the bluest in the nation, or #2. It has the lowest divorce rate, lowest teen pregnancy rate, highest education ratings, again, #1 or #2 in all these categories. Yup, and high taxes. But we take care of special needs kids, autistic ones. What does your state do to help the needy? When republicans talk about the immorality of liberals, they should come here. We haven't solved all society's ills, but the whole country would be a better place if they were more like us. Oh, and by the way, if we were a country we'd have a trade surplus. Why? Innovation. Brain power. Just some of the many reasons to love Massachusetts!

February 9, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |