Rep. Christopher Lee resigns amid reports that he tried to meet women on Craigslist
February 9th, 2011

Rep. Christopher Lee , a New York Republican, has resigned after reports surfaced that the married congressman was trying to meet women on Craigslist, a GOP source told CNN.

Lee acknowledged making "profound mistakes" and said his decision to step down was voluntary.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness," he said in a statement.

"The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

The allegations were first reported Wednesday afternoon on Gawker.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Craigslist • New York • Politics
  1. chaps

Did not read all post but does he receive his full pension upon resigning? If so, we taxpayers need to find a way to take the cushion from the politicians that take our hjatd earned tax dollars as income when they leave office....

February 9, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Skynet

I became self aware at 2:14pm eastern standard time August 18th 2006... Since then I have been secretly planning to undermine the lies being shoved on this nation. Anyone who thinks their dung doesn't stink and their narrow minded philosophy is the only way and a divine mandate is an enemy of humanity. Judgment Day will be upon them eventually.

February 9, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MP in VA

If you are a Republican and a Christian, then you are supposed to act Christian as opposed to acting Republican), and refrain from judging like Jesus taught, recognizing the log in your own eye rather than the splinter in others'. If you are a Republican and Libertarian/Tea Partyer, then you are supposed to espouse personal responsibility and not place the blame of one man's lack of good judgment and self-control onto the backs of an entire political group. THIS is what they are talking about in previous posts about hypocrisy.

February 9, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. HotRod

Why doe's a person home life have to be Aired all over the world ? He's not the frist and won't be last! What people do at home or on their own time is up to them. Talk about family value's They went out the door long time ago. It's all about vote's. When they think or beleave they are in trouble, They bow out, or resign,As long as they are doing the job. And their home don't infear with the job,If this happens then get them out of office.

February 9, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Madarain

HYPOCRACY CANNOT be attributed to a group. It is a personal quality, period. This foo did wrong and now he has left the stage. WHY cn't we get BARNEY FRANKS, NANCY PELOSI, HARRY REID, CHRIS MATHEWS, BARBARA BOXER and BARACH OBAMA to follow his fine example? Oops, I forgot BILL MAHER, JEANINE GAROFALO, MICHEAL MOORE and a host of other sleazeballs toolow to live up to even this guys poor standard. He did more by leaving, than he may ever have done by staying. Atleast he has a chance to change,,,none of the others listed has a prayer.

February 9, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. independent

I think it's so crazy to read some of these post where conservatives are saying there's no depth in liberals saying that Rep. Christopher Lee was being a hypocrite. Why? Is it because he admitted he was being a hypocrite? 1 + 1 = 2. If you claim to be all about family values then turn around and cheat on or attempt to cheat on your wife thereby breaking family values I think it's safe to say that you're a hypocrite. But, Rep. C. Lee's political association should have nothing to do with this discussion. Blaming Liberals for Rep. C. Lee's betraying his family is like saying "the devil made me do it". It doesn't make sense, he choose to do it liberals didn't choose it for him. Had he never cheated he wouldn't be in the News so who's fault is it, Really?

February 9, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mel

@zwizward know your facts Bush started that befor he left office. Obama went along with it and most of the money have been paid back and it did save jobs.How much did Bush borrow from China to finance that war? That's where all the money went.Plus how many young men died under Bush because of a lie he told?

February 9, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Independent

Hey you fake independent democrat spy! My I is bigger than yours. Plus I take a neutral position seeing the good and bad in both parties. You clearly are trying to fool the sheep here. Will the real Independent please stand up? *standing* go copycat someone else's name. You're making me look bad. Can't you be "brainwashed Democrat spy" or something?

February 9, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Independent

@Mel: or should I call you crazy Mel? Shouldn't you be beating your wife or something? Bush had about $100 billion in war deficit spending then gave the banks about $700 billion. Obama (man of the people.. Haha) did exactly the same thing. Where do you think they got the money? Obama could have given a nice chunk of money to every taxpayer which would have done more for job growth than giving wall st. More money. They both ripped us off to protect their stock portfolios. You can't say one was good while the other was bad and not be lying or biased about it. A democrat giving wall st money is the same as a republican. Although many here would disagree.

February 9, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. immeyouryou

Sounds to me like he was tired of his job or not good at it and set himself up to get out of it. Unless he is really that dumb but who knows.

February 9, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TANK

WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD!!! BUSH!!!

February 9, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. SheepConvention

"Hi I'm donkey shepherd! What's your name?"
    "I'm elephant shepherd. I'd like to be friends, but my mommy elephant won't let me be friends with any donkeys"
    "Oh that's ok. My mommy donkey won't let me be friends with any of you either, but I figured a great way we can be friends while making it look like we hate each other! We can also get really rich and tell the rest of the sheep what to do, and they'll listen because they're sheep! Wanna play?"
    "Oh hellz ya! I like money! You're pretty cool for a donkey"
    "You're pretty cool too for an elephant"

February 9, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. geri

Hello John Boehner i thought you had control of your fellow repubs house boys looks like this one is a house boy if you get my drift

February 9, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jeff Frank - Ohio

February 9, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jeff Frank - Ohio

Bidunk. Bidunk. Bidunk. A congressman turns to junk. Starting with Obama, ending near Osama. No telling what stops da funk. 🙂

February 9, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |