Rep. Christopher Lee resigns amid reports that he tried to meet women on Craigslist
February 9th, 2011

Rep. Christopher Lee , a New York Republican, has resigned after reports surfaced that the married congressman was trying to meet women on Craigslist, a GOP source told CNN.

Lee acknowledged making "profound mistakes" and said his decision to step down was voluntary.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness," he said in a statement.

"The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

The allegations were first reported Wednesday afternoon on Gawker.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Craigslist • New York • Politics
  1. Bob

They are all hypocrites. No matter what party, they all suck.

February 9, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Nurse Lisa

Who would believe it – a GOP scandal involving lascivious details but this guy actually resigns rather than denying his culpability ad nauseum? Hope his wife and family are ready for the trolls.

February 9, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Gary

oppps

February 9, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. John Haskins

Now he can go to the strip clubs with his buddy, Michael Steele.....What a bunch of losers.....Well that's one way they can cut the deficit.......they don't have to pay this creeps salary...

February 9, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. GTL

@Joel: Yup.
    @Nathan: Yup.
    @Those asking if he's married: Remove your genitals, so the rest of us aren't stuck paying for your choice to breed little moron versions of yourselves.

February 9, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. GB

yea, where are all the family values these Repubs and conservatives hipocrites keep claiming they have, not seeing them. I'd have more compassion if they proclaimed to be like real people who make mistakes. Sorry, I just can't swing to the Republican side. what an idiot.

February 9, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Al

He graduated from where?

February 9, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Criminy

If someone wants to serve the public, he should be honest and upstanding. He should get the First Annual John Edwards Award.

February 9, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jeff

Let me get this straight, Teddy Kennedy could kill his gf in that car wreck and serve another 30 years or more, and this guy resigns over this???? Clinton could bone a number of women and remain President and this huy resigns????

February 9, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ

The problem is his party preaches "family values".

February 9, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • emily

I don't think Clinton boned several women – just played around. And he wasn't a GOP member running around insisting that everyone have high moral standards, like this dude !! He probably resigned because he's too big of a wuss to handle the stress of the results of his actions!

February 9, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Slsgal

There was a story on a gossip website at 2:30 this afternoon. By 6:00 he resigned which was first reported by Fox News by the way. He is a multimillionare & doesn't have to be a politician for a career.

February 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. TJ

I loved him in those horror flicks!!

February 9, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. leonard

He is too stupid to be a congressman. To humiliate his wife like that is really sad. At least he was a republican so it's normal for them and the wife was probably happy he was not trolling for men!

February 9, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • zero74

Yeah just like that no good dirty jon edwards. Can't believe those republicans... Oh wait he was a democrat. To think one side has higher ethical standards than the other is an illusion.

February 9, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Raxtich

Unless he's one of those loud "family values" Republicans caught in his own hypocrisy, I really don't see the big deal. People cheat all the time.

February 9, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. American1st

This is just the beggining. Wait to the rest of these nuts that just got elected start to crack.

February 9, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. blake

It is disturbing to see the number of Americans (and politicans) who do not see the connection between leadership and character. This became apparent to me for the first time during the Clinton presidency. Absolutely this kind of inappropriate behavior disqualifies a person for public service, Republican or Democrat. Let's get rid of the rif raf. I want people of integrity leading this nation.

February 9, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • emily

Open up your history books and learn about the MANY presidents in our history who have had extramarital affairs, and even fathered children with their mistresses. We are all human, and we all make mistakes. We just hope that our politicians, particularly the ones who go running around trying to insist upon higher moral standards, don't do stupid stuff like this. But they do. Sad.

February 9, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. zero74

Wow, he's up there with the lady who tried to mail the cat the other day... No one is this dumb. He probably was involved in a conspiracy and this is what he had to do to get clear.

February 9, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |