Rep. Christopher Lee resigns amid reports that he tried to meet women on Craigslist
February 9th, 2011

Rep. Christopher Lee , a New York Republican, has resigned after reports surfaced that the married congressman was trying to meet women on Craigslist, a GOP source told CNN.

Lee acknowledged making "profound mistakes" and said his decision to step down was voluntary.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness," he said in a statement.

"The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

The allegations were first reported Wednesday afternoon on Gawker.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Craigslist • New York • Politics
  1. Ha-ha

LOL. Not blond, but grey. Trying to escape the reality into illusions...

February 9, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mark Struthers

Character does affect his ability to do his job. If he can't live up to his commitment to his wife, how can he live up to his commitment to the people of NY. Especially when Republicans say vote for us we have family values and the Dems don't. I am not a Dem or Repub but I hate hypocrites.

February 9, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Hypocrisy aside, did he really say "classy"? He is in great shape but not sure if this is classy.

February 9, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. john

Why is it a scandal??

Look at the pix.

It wasn't women this guy was trying to meet.

February 9, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Humanelement

This is very good news because it adds more tarnish to the Republicans. There more of them we can take down the better for the good of the country.

February 9, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chip lover

I understand everyone's concern here, but that doesn't change the fact that this guy probably should have just enjoyed a bag of chips. Chips seem to make everyone happy.

February 9, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dan

the only morals these "moralist politicans" really have are the ones they pull out to get elected. Clearly they could care less about it when it comes to the direction and decision making for their OWN lives............whoaa big guy, I preach the stuff but I don't follow it. Now that would be downright boring. Well, no kidding!!

February 9, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ???

Ah! the party of family values...

February 9, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Enitan

Here we go again!! Family value slogan bite the dust.

The Republican Party proclaim they are the party of family value, one by one their hypo is been exposed

Family value, they do not know what that is if it hits them on their bloody face.

February 9, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bleh

Wasn't it the repubs that were pushing to impeach Clinton because he got a b j on the side? All elected officials should be held up to the same moral standards, not just the GOP. God, the hypocrisy!!!!!

February 9, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bringiton1

@George,
    George , George , George, where have you been living ? The GOP and their family values don't accept anything less than purity. Only puritans need apply, but the reality with that is no is pure not even them. The ir closets are just as full as the next person's Just ask Gingrich about his attacks on Clinton during the Lewinsky period while he himself was having an extramarital affair.

February 9, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Raymond

Republican trash. Just like the rest of them rednecks.

February 9, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Pat

He's from NY, nobody expects him to be a Republican. They expect him to spend only 99% of what a NY Democrat would spend. Being from NY, he'll vote down the Democrat party line anyway. But one bill a year, he won't.

February 9, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MW

Oh for Pete's sake!

February 9, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dan

BTW, I dont' think he was looking for ladies. He didn't quit so quickly because he was looking for women. Just a thought 😉

February 9, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Paula

Yes, it is a character flaw. It makes me think what kind of people are being put into office. He wasn't smart enough to know that his life is public now. We cannot do anything without it being known especially on the Internet. He just got caught, there are many more out there.

February 9, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |