Rep. Christopher Lee resigns amid reports that he tried to meet women on Craigslist
February 9th, 2011

Rep. Christopher Lee , a New York Republican, has resigned after reports surfaced that the married congressman was trying to meet women on Craigslist, a GOP source told CNN.

Lee acknowledged making "profound mistakes" and said his decision to step down was voluntary.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness," he said in a statement.

"The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

The allegations were first reported Wednesday afternoon on Gawker.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Craigslist • New York • Politics
  1. Bleh

Right on, Bill!

February 9, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. nfvn3

HAHA! What a moron!!

February 9, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ctkwilson

Somewhere over the last 200+ years in this country politicians went from being the noblest, brightest, intellectual people to a bunch of sleazy used car salesman.

February 9, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. TripleA

What a twit. Lee is too stupid to serve in our government. Then again, maybe he’s not.

February 9, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. calvin Kimbugwe

Oooppssss "They" did it again! I want my "family-values" back. This is the party of Regan!

February 9, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Observer

A Republican who is caught in an adultery scandal - that's not news. A Republican who resigns after an adultery scandal - that's news. He didn't follow the example of Craig, Sanford, Ensign, and Vitter. The "family values" hypocrites roll on.

February 9, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MA

Zowee, nice peks!

February 9, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Big Al

Larry Craig, Mark Sanford, Sarah Palin, Christopher Lee...family values.

February 9, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • kburgoyne

Now that's really not fair about Sister Sarah. Sarah successfully taught her daughter to start a family very early in life.

February 9, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sunnydee

The big news here is that he was seeking women. He must be a RINO.

February 9, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • kburgoyne

Every Republican qualifies as a RINO in the eyes of some other Republican. When you're in a party dedicated to being intolerate towards others, eventually you end up intolerate toward your fellow party members.

February 9, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. LeeCMH

Te he he ha ha. It is so gratifying to see our "family values" folks being found-out.

February 9, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. emily

Well, now that the man's career is ruined, maybe he can start appearing on reality shows with Illinois' former governor. He does have some fairly nice pecs – maybe he can be on Survivor or something.

February 9, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Hiruu

This is just more propaganda by the "bias liberal media"...lol...oh wait...notice how the normal riff raff who post are missing...so refreshing!

February 9, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jeff

Nice biceps.

February 9, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. sardukar

Man...he looks good..I hope he finds what he is looking for..stepping down is overkill..and Im liberal .

February 9, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Will

Hey, this resignation could be the biggest move of Lee's political career! Now, he can lead from the sidelines like Sarah Palin. Perhaps the two of them just became the perfect match for the 2012 ticket! And just in time too!
    Personally I don't care what our politicians do, or don't do, so long as they keep their heads about them when it matters. However, when some voluntarily resign, spontaneously, upon getting caught in an embarrassing situation, I say don't question it, encourage it. The reason is, that if someone, who has only had the job for two years could be so intimidated by their own personal problems that they feel overwhelmed, then obviously they cannot handle matters of State on top of that.
    I hope that he gets help, because I hope all people get the help that they need.
    In the mean time, I look forward to the Palin – Lee ticket. That would be hilarious; a "momma grizzly, and a low-down-dog.

February 9, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |