Rep. Christopher Lee resigns amid reports that he tried to meet women on Craigslist
February 9th, 2011

Rep. Christopher Lee , a New York Republican, has resigned after reports surfaced that the married congressman was trying to meet women on Craigslist, a GOP source told CNN.

Lee acknowledged making "profound mistakes" and said his decision to step down was voluntary.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness," he said in a statement.

"The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

The allegations were first reported Wednesday afternoon on Gawker.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Craigslist • New York • Politics
  1. tony

He was probably paid to quit to let Bristol Palin run in his place.

February 9, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • pockets

Well thinks like this happen with 'social' media all the time. And of course Bristol and her 'mom' Mrs Todd Palin are just a cut below this guy.

February 9, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. HahaLolUsuck

Really cheating on your wife is a sign that a person can't be trusted. He swore an oath to God (I assume) for both his devotion to his wife and the people of NY. If he's willing to destroy his family then he'd most certainly lie to voters whom he doesn't have to see on a regular basis. I don't have any party affiliation, but there are clear biases by people on both sides who condone such behavior as long as the perpetrator is in their exclusive club. It's kinda sad that we can't see the connection to honesty here when this guy's writing laws telling other people how to live their lives.

February 9, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Really? I thought all politicians lie....right? So what does someone cheating have to do with anything? He lied to get into office. Geezzz people...wake up would ya!!!!

February 9, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • pockets

You see its the "Oath to God" that did it, you see, there is no god. So enjoy your life and watch out for the social media thingie.

February 9, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

You must be an old man with old time ways for young voters and fools know nothing of the wisdom you speak about. What you say is true...

February 9, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. anonymous

Hey buddy, I really don't care if you try to pick up chicks on Craig's list.....what I really care about is how you do your job..but you blew that since you resigned for such a trivial reason.....must be somethin' else in your closet that you don't want out.....

February 9, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • I did it for the Lolz

you should take his job you seem like a upstanding guy with values ..../s

February 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. LeeCMH

That's it - gay marriage. Perhaps this is a ruse to keep us from finding out about his "wide-stance" at the airport restroom.

February 9, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Semper Fi

The crime is he thinks women would like that picture of him.

February 9, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

Nice!

February 9, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

I laughed so hard when I read your post! OMG is that funny and besides is that pose suppose to turn you on???????

February 9, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Baffled!

So the GOP does have a few straight guys, or at least one?

February 9, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bhtrump

Lol. I'm a republican and i love this comment (no sarcasm)

February 9, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • LeeCMH

Oh now. The first words out of Larry Craig's mouth after the "wide-stance" airport bathroom moment went public were, "I am not gay."

February 9, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • pockets

What happened to the married GOP in the bathroom tapping signals with his foot to the guy in the next stall? Did he finally get divorced and marry another man?

February 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. american me

As shown by Craig, Vitter, Sanford, Ensign, Foley, Gingrich, etc., the hypocritical, "family values" RepubliCONS think they are above the law. Those cretins will do and say absolutely ANYTHING to seize and remain in power. If their repulsive idea of family values consists of infidelity, adultery, child molestation, corruption, hatred, intolerance, bigotry, and debased ethics, I'm sure glad I'm not part of their gross little family.

February 9, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christie

Yes much better to be a member of the John Edwards party....now that's class.

February 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • kburgoyne

@Christie: It's the conservatives who pretend to be "family values" and try to claim the liberals are not. This shows the hypocrisy of those claims. The liberals are not the ones trying to claim liberals are "family values" and conservatives are not.

February 9, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vee

Amen! This is what happens when you base your life on passing judgement on others (Repubs), hiding behind being married and living in the 'burbs (big whoop). Sorry folks but having a green lawn and a dorky, JCPenny catalog-looking family is not a recipe for success. Its merely a fascade for a great many people to hide their perversions. Hard working people–both single and married, with less money in the bank,living in modest neighborhoods and struggle to raise their kids-, are often more principled, moral and empathetic people. Not to say that Dems are perfect cuz we're not, but we aren't as sneaky, are quicker to hold our selves accountable and admit wrongdoing than people in that other party.

February 9, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ny'er

Another example of why Social Media is not for everyone!!!!! Just imagine what must have been going on back when there was no Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, etc... this guy needs to have his head examined – especially after his wife is done with him!

February 9, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. nfvn3

Pretty jacked for a 46 year old.

February 9, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. whowouldjesusdo

Yet another Republican who ran on 'family values' and impeding civil rights is found to be cheating.The scandalous part is that a conservative was caught chasing women, for once

February 9, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. LMAO

Sooooo funny.

February 9, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. malia

Lindsay is the new "Winona" and

some pols trolling on Craigs List and

I guess Egypt is back to "normal" on this wednesday evening !

February 9, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. KickKid

Where's the beef?
    ...just sayin'

February 9, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Melissa

Ahhahahaha.....Im sorry people but this is just way too funny!

February 9, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jersey George

Christianity at its best.

February 9, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • kburgoyne

Hey, most of the renditions show Jesus bare chested on the cross. I'm sure the guy was just trying to emulate Jesus.

February 9, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • pockets

Now remember they usually crucified them nude, but religious folk do not want a naked jesus showing his junk on a cross.

February 9, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |