Rep. Christopher Lee resigns amid reports that he tried to meet women on Craigslist
February 9th, 2011

Rep. Christopher Lee , a New York Republican, has resigned after reports surfaced that the married congressman was trying to meet women on Craigslist, a GOP source told CNN.

Lee acknowledged making "profound mistakes" and said his decision to step down was voluntary.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness," he said in a statement.

"The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

The allegations were first reported Wednesday afternoon on Gawker.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Craigslist • New York • Politics
  1. jlo89

Liberals are so pathetic. They bring up the "family values" card while they themselves support abortion and gay marriage and could care less about family values.

February 9, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • dan

well duh, of course we support the right to choose, the right to pick your partner without the government telling me how to live while you sit around spouting crap about family values. What values are you talking about?

February 9, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • ???

It isn't like we liberals advocate pro-choice and then are found out to be secretly picketing Planned Parenthood.

February 9, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ike

I think you are missing the point. They are bring up the fact that all these conservatives are running on the family values ticket, yet their values don't follow past their campaign...

February 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • jlo89

Posting on Craigslist and looking for booty calls is perfectly consistent with liberal values. Why the uproar?

February 9, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • jlo89

Ike when did Christopher Lee fervently advocate family values?

February 9, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • kburgoyne

If the conservatives weren't so self-righteous about being "all about family values" and trying to pretend like liberals are not, this wouldn't matter as much. Conservatives set themselves up for things like this.

February 9, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • julie

Wow... gay people come from families. My guess is most come from loving supportive families. One might call that a family value.

No woman ever goes "Horray! I get to exercise my right to an abortion today!" Most decide to have them because they recognize they are in no position to support a pregnancy (far more expensive than abortion – out that in your Obamacare), or a family. I'd say deciding when is the right time to start a family is the ultimate in Family Values.

Why are Republicans all about their freedoms when it comes to carrying a gun but not when it's about my body or who someone marries? Double standard anyone? "Freedom to those who agree with me"

February 9, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • jlo89

Again, when was Christopher Lee are fervent advocate of family values? Liberals are bashing and hating based on their mental caricatures of conservatives, if it were one of their own the would care less.

February 9, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • rico

Its funny how the conservative is for government stepping into the abortion debate, into our marriages, and yet have a problem with government stopping the raping of the american people by insurance companies.

February 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • jlo89

@jlo89, since you need it spelled out for you, the whole reason "liberals" pull the "family values" card is because there are constantly situations where it comes down to "do as I say, not as I do" when politicians (usually Republicans) come under fire for committing acts that are in stark contrast with their policy.

February 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jersey George

Abortion's the law of the land, and where do you or any government have the right to "intrude" or "impose" your will on any women's right to choose. You tea baggers and/or Christian radicals are all alike, complain that government is treading on your freedoms and liberties, except for when it suits your ideology.

February 9, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • jlo89

@"jlo89" (thanks for stealing my name)

This representative was not a fervent advocate of family values. Prove otherwise.

Again, liberals are projecting their own caricature of conservatives to bash them. These values do not even coincide with so-called liberal values.

February 9, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • CBKWit

It's not that he's cheating on his wife. It's the hypocrisy of running on a platform of "family values" and using it as a club to bash democrats that's the issue. It'd be like if republicans ran on a platform of reducing government spending and the federal deficit, and then oversaw the largest expansion of government in history and turned a surplus into a huge debt. Oh wait...

February 9, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dan

republicans, party of fiscal respons.....um, wait. No, we're the party of family val.....um, no, not that either. We're the party of NO! Yeah, that's it, um, wait..........we can't keep it in our pants so are we really the party of NO? Oh, right, we're the party of NO FOR EVERYONE ELSE, better known as NFEE. Yeah, that's it. We say YES for ourselves, but NO for everyone else. That's it! THat's who we are.

February 9, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. duh27

Craiglist?? Once again it has been proven that brains is not a prerequisite to be a GOP member.

February 9, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • trinity5910

Yeah, cause sticking a cigar up an interns keyhole is classy. Funny how libs forget Slick Willy

February 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Well, to be fair, Bill Clinton didn't pretend to be a "family values" kind of politician.

February 9, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sean

Since he's a Republican, shouldn't he be on Craigslist looking for men?

February 9, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gerber

He probably was. The only person who forwarded their emails to Gawker was a woman. But he could have been corresponding with men too.

February 9, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bhtrump

At least he didn't lie under oath about it. Clinton anyone?

February 9, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • kburgoyne

Stop trying to shift the blame. This Republican screwed up on his own. This does not involve Clinton.

February 9, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Adnan

I don't get what he did wrong, aren't you allowed to meet women if you're a congressman. Heck nowadays we even have gays in the military.

February 9, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ruby

He's married....

February 9, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. cas

As expected, Faux News tried its best to not make this story stand out....just checked their website. The main page is another "fear the government" story of blackbox proposed for cars. While this story is put in the same category as that of Lindsey Lohan.....I wonder what importance it will have taken was this a democratic congress man.

February 9, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bereal

He admits to making profound mistakes cut him a break. Sometimes it takes events like this to realize who you are is not who you would like to be. I wish him great success in self discovery after he sits down and questions how he's lived his life. While my mistakes were not as profound as this, they were definitely big enough for me to spend 2 years alone finding out who I am. A gift all people should be lucky enough to experience.. Good Luck dude!

February 9, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • dan

well said.

February 9, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rachel

Good Lord what an idiot. Anyone who holds a public office and then posts pictures of himself online trying to get laid should resign for being too stupid to serve.

February 9, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cabazon

LIKE.

February 9, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. AG

this guy wanted to get caught, but why?

February 9, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. max

Its good to know how much the Republicans respect family values.

Just another Republican who could have easily cheated on his wife.

February 9, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Will

Palin – Lee 2012!!
    Momma Grizzly – Low Down Dog!
    Cheerleaders from the sidelines together.

February 9, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. King Tut

I bet he finds himself a date after all of this.

February 9, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bob

Aare you sure he was trying to meet women with that photo? As a gay man, I can say for certain that's not the kind of photo guys looking for women post on Craigslist.

February 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lesley

I was thinking the same thing (not that there's anything wrong with that)! but why resign?

February 9, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

I thought the exact same thing before I read the article.

February 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. HaHaHa

I see all the GOPsters are whining like the lil palins they are oh no we got caught being human wwwwhhhaaaaaaaa! Get a life and stay out of mine!

February 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |