Arizona countersues feds over border security
February 10th, 2011

Arizona countersues feds over border security

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer says she has "no other choice" than to sue the federal government for what she calls Washington's failure to secure her state's border and enforce immigration laws.

Brewer and Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne, who is taking the lead on the countersuit, announced the state's plans Thursday outside a federal court in Phoenix. Arizona's move is an attempt to strike back at the Obama administration for a lawsuit blocking parts of a controversial law Brewer signed in April. It authorized police to identify and help deport those suspected of being in the country illegally. The measure sparked protests in Arizona and around the country.

"(Arizona) did not want this fight," Brewer said. "But now that we are in it, Arizona will not rest until our border is secured."

Department of Homeland Security spokesman Matt Chandler called Arizona's court claim a "meritless" one that "does nothing to secure the border."

"Smart strategies, dedicated law enforcement personnel and strategic partnerships with state, local and tribal governments and agencies do," Chandler said. "Not only do actions like this ignore all of the statistical evidence, they also belittle the significant progress that our men and women in uniform have made to protect this border and the people who live alongside it."

While vocal opponents of the immigration law continued to chant and wave banners, Horne detailed the five-count suit that included claims the federal government failed to protect Arizona's borders from the "invasion of illegal aliens" and costs associated with "jailing criminal immigrants."

Brewer has promised only private funds will pay for the suit and launched www.KeepAZsafe.com to collect donations.

Fighting to hold back tears, Brewer thanked supporters, who she noted had offered prayers amidst personal attacks she said she has endured. But she bounced back, saying, "If you know one thing about Jan Brewer, you know that I’m not a quitter. Arizona is doing its duty."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Courts • Immigration • Lawsuit
  1. StokeyBob

I wish Governor Jan Brewer luck but the deck may be stacked.

When I started looking into where the money was coming from to buy off the politicians and subvert the immigration laws of the world I came across what may be the root of many of our problems. Fiat Money.

No matter how much real money people can put together to build their countries the way they want there are those that can print up what ever it takes to get their way.

Maybe this will help make the danger of fiat money clear.

Imagine you and me are setting across from each other. We create enough money to represent all of the world's wealth. Each one of us has one SUPER Dollar in front of him.

You own half of everything and so do I.

I'm the government though. I get bribed into creating a Central Bank.

You're not doing what I want you to be doing so I print up myself eight more SUPER Dollars to manipulate you with.
    All of a sudden your SUPER Dollar only represents one tenth of the wealth of the world!

That isn't the only thing though. You need to get busy and get to work because YOU'VE BEEN STIFFED with the bill for the money I PRINTED UP to get YOU TO DO what I WANTED.

That to me represents what has been happening to the economy, and us, and why so many of our occupations just can't keep up with the fake money presses.

We are going to have to regain control of our government before we can regain control of our currency and regain control of our country.

February 10, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Weekendwariior

Well said

February 10, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • JimD

Very well said.

February 11, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • TBone

If these present day Illegals do apply for legal immigration
      but investigators do a background income check of applicant
      using aliases used prior
      (a felony) and find that they have been under reporting their
      income (Tax Evasion) that should be grounds for deportation
      and NO POSSIBLITY FOR LEGAL IMMIGRATION...

February 13, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. N R Ay

its about time! can we wear our holsters.

February 10, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff Frank - Ohio

Hats off to you Jan Brewer and the rest of the Repubicrats along the edge of the bun. I don't think thier going to nuke the Chihuahua border, even if you have your way. You'd be choking on the dust for days.

February 10, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. magyart

Help fight illegal immigration. Visit NumbersUSA and ALIPAC websites. We need federal E-Verify legislation to force employers to verify social security numbers.

February 10, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brams

Congrats to Jan Brewer. When you cut through all of the other junk that we have allowed the Federal government to take control of over the past 100 years, what is the Number 1 thing a government is supposed to do??? Answer: Protect your freaking borders, or you are not really a country. Way to go Arizona, stand fast!!!

February 10, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cesar

To: The People of the United States: If the Fed Gov is lax at enforcing the law on illegals, then the states will do Uncle Sam's job. By the way, where is Frank?

February 11, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. Just Sayin'

Best of luck to her. Fed enforcement of immigration policy is a joke. And when they don't enforce the law and then the state has to then they block them. A joke.

February 11, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. John P

Lets keep our fingers crossed ! Once we get our jobs back, I'll be the first in line for one of those coveted 12hr a day,$7.35 per hr,in 110 degree heat ,with no benefits positions.

February 11, 2011 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  9. raven

Why wont my comments get posted ? Anyway, I would think the govt would WELCOME Arizonas help in protecting thier own border ...what am I missing ?

February 11, 2011 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  10. Darrin G

I live in Chicago Il and what I have against illegal aliens is the shear arrogance of acting as if they are on par with Americans on one hand and act as if they should never ever be criticized. Here in Chicago there have been at least three marches and I often ask my self what would happen to these people had they marched in say China or North Korea.

February 11, 2011 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  11. Pickin in the fields

My grandparents came to this country legally and became citizens. Why can't these people do the same?

February 11, 2011 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  12. Cesar

@raven: Hi.

February 11, 2011 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
  13. raven

Hey Cesar! How ya doin this fine,early,cold morning ?

February 11, 2011 at 5:10 am | Report abuse |
  14. Cesar

@raven, Great. Thanks to you, I have been using an athletic mouth piece. Jaw pain-90% gone. Really appreciate your help. There has been someone posting my name saying yuky stuff. Ignore the troll, please.

February 11, 2011 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
  15. Cesar

@raven, yes, but not as cold as Alaska.

February 11, 2011 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |