Arizona countersues feds over border security
February 10th, 2011

Arizona countersues feds over border security

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer says she has "no other choice" than to sue the federal government for what she calls Washington's failure to secure her state's border and enforce immigration laws.

Brewer and Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne, who is taking the lead on the countersuit, announced the state's plans Thursday outside a federal court in Phoenix. Arizona's move is an attempt to strike back at the Obama administration for a lawsuit blocking parts of a controversial law Brewer signed in April. It authorized police to identify and help deport those suspected of being in the country illegally. The measure sparked protests in Arizona and around the country.

"(Arizona) did not want this fight," Brewer said. "But now that we are in it, Arizona will not rest until our border is secured."

Department of Homeland Security spokesman Matt Chandler called Arizona's court claim a "meritless" one that "does nothing to secure the border."

"Smart strategies, dedicated law enforcement personnel and strategic partnerships with state, local and tribal governments and agencies do," Chandler said. "Not only do actions like this ignore all of the statistical evidence, they also belittle the significant progress that our men and women in uniform have made to protect this border and the people who live alongside it."

While vocal opponents of the immigration law continued to chant and wave banners, Horne detailed the five-count suit that included claims the federal government failed to protect Arizona's borders from the "invasion of illegal aliens" and costs associated with "jailing criminal immigrants."

Brewer has promised only private funds will pay for the suit and launched www.KeepAZsafe.com to collect donations.

Fighting to hold back tears, Brewer thanked supporters, who she noted had offered prayers amidst personal attacks she said she has endured. But she bounced back, saying, "If you know one thing about Jan Brewer, you know that I’m not a quitter. Arizona is doing its duty."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Courts • Immigration • Lawsuit
  1. Cesar

@raven, I gather you feel the fed. gov't would like for Arizona to protect their border from illegals, yet they don't. "What am I missing;" makes no sense I know.

February 11, 2011 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. raven

I really wasnt being sarcastic. I feel like Im not understanding something. Why would the govt not want that ? I mean what is the govt's argument ? Does it have to do with money ?politics ? I feel kinda dumb .

February 11, 2011 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. raven

Hey Cesar, I tried ta stump ya with a movie quote the other day ,did ya catch it ?

February 11, 2011 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar

Who knows. Your guess is as good as mine. My guess is that the White House doesn't want to strain relations with Mexico. There must be other reasons why they make it hard for states to enforce immigration laws. Sadly, the judicial branch isn't helping.

February 11, 2011 at 5:48 am | Report abuse |
  5. Cesar

"We don't need no stinking badges."

February 11, 2011 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
  6. raven

Just now saw your post bout your jaw ...Im so glad it helped . I know how agonizing that can feel,so yay you !

February 11, 2011 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. raven

Yeah, That was it . I'll think on it and try ta stymie ya with another good one .

February 11, 2011 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
  8. raven

Well Im not arguing about straining relationships with Mexico, but you'd think with our citizens getting murdered over there right and left (falcon Lake ) they wouldnt be so worried about bein polite when it comes to the border. Im not too awfully bright but that baffles me .

February 11, 2011 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |
  9. Cesar

Sadly, politics seems to be a priority over human life. Mexico gets offended so easily by the truth. Americans get killed here too by illegals like that rancher in AZ. When will the Fed Gov't see these criminals as a threat?

February 11, 2011 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  10. Cesar

We don't need Mexico, they need the United States.

February 11, 2011 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. raven

have they gotten any more info about that whale in HI ? Another article took its place on my phone and I havent seen anythin bout it since the first one .

February 11, 2011 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. raven

Hey Cesar, I got one for ya : ' I was born a poor black child ....'

February 11, 2011 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  13. raven

I gotta crash but ill tell ya tomorrow if ya dont already know . Have a good morning and Ill see you later. And thanks for never makin fun of what I dont know Cesar, youre a nice person .

February 11, 2011 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. tomcat

Hello Cesar and Raven...This is a very difficult issue for me. Being bi-lingual I have gotten to know many Hispanic people. This is where I am torn. The Hispanics, much like the Irish and Italian families I grew up in, are very hard working and family oriented people. Because of this I have embraced them and their culture. Now the issue......I have no problem with legal immagrants being in the US. But the ones that are here illegaly are hurting our schools, jails and hospitals. The jobs are a mute point...the people collecting a check from the taxpayers won't even do them. So, I hope you can understand the predicament this puts me in...... I feel the government does not want to lose the influx of money that is spent by these people.No offense, but you been to Walmart...or the pulga ( flea market)? I don't get involved in these type of issues, but this hit home.

February 11, 2011 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. Cesar

OK, see you around. Thanks for not poking fun at me for not knowing stuff either. Later!

February 11, 2011 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |