Arizona countersues feds over border security
February 10th, 2011

Arizona countersues feds over border security

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer says she has "no other choice" than to sue the federal government for what she calls Washington's failure to secure her state's border and enforce immigration laws.

Brewer and Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne, who is taking the lead on the countersuit, announced the state's plans Thursday outside a federal court in Phoenix. Arizona's move is an attempt to strike back at the Obama administration for a lawsuit blocking parts of a controversial law Brewer signed in April. It authorized police to identify and help deport those suspected of being in the country illegally. The measure sparked protests in Arizona and around the country.

"(Arizona) did not want this fight," Brewer said. "But now that we are in it, Arizona will not rest until our border is secured."

Department of Homeland Security spokesman Matt Chandler called Arizona's court claim a "meritless" one that "does nothing to secure the border."

"Smart strategies, dedicated law enforcement personnel and strategic partnerships with state, local and tribal governments and agencies do," Chandler said. "Not only do actions like this ignore all of the statistical evidence, they also belittle the significant progress that our men and women in uniform have made to protect this border and the people who live alongside it."

While vocal opponents of the immigration law continued to chant and wave banners, Horne detailed the five-count suit that included claims the federal government failed to protect Arizona's borders from the "invasion of illegal aliens" and costs associated with "jailing criminal immigrants."

Brewer has promised only private funds will pay for the suit and launched www.KeepAZsafe.com to collect donations.

Fighting to hold back tears, Brewer thanked supporters, who she noted had offered prayers amidst personal attacks she said she has endured. But she bounced back, saying, "If you know one thing about Jan Brewer, you know that I’m not a quitter. Arizona is doing its duty."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Courts • Immigration • Lawsuit
  1. tomcat

raven...btw Steve Martin....I believe? The Jerk?

February 11, 2011 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. raven

Hi tomcat! Was gonna crash but I started watchin tv. and yes ! very good ! k what about this one : mmm,juicy fruit...

February 11, 2011 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. tomcat

hmmm...rings a bell...another hint please.

February 11, 2011 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. raven

I also met some nice Mexicans when I lived in Az . And youre right ,they were hard working people and decent . I just wonder why the govt is so reluctant to let Az. control the border when they say its such a critical issue ,yet they know what theyre doing now isnt working . I really dont know what the govts argument is . Maybe Cesar is right when he says its a diplomatic issue ?

February 11, 2011 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  5. raven

K,how bout : We just wanna watch the GAME !! (i dont wanna make it too easy )

February 11, 2011 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  6. tomcat

It is a socio/ economic issue and Cesar is correct. "One flew over the cuckoo's nest"....I think one of Cesar's nome de plumes said it...lol

February 11, 2011 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. raven

Or how bout : well you boys dont look so crazy to me ...

February 11, 2011 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. raven

Very Good tomcat ! Ill hafta wrack my brain to stump you too , I see .

February 11, 2011 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  9. tomcat

foul,foul..I answered before last hint.....

February 11, 2011 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  10. raven

Yes you did ,you get credit fair and square !

February 11, 2011 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  11. tomcat

Thank you.....Another thing for those that do not live in a border state to ponder....I have lived in Texas for over thirty years....I have been through the "hat, buckle, boot" days to the to the yuppie cali days.....now everything is written in English and Spanish.....this includes city and state services to going to the grocery store. So, where does the government start? Do you continue to enable those that do not speak English? Or, do you just put your foot down and say "this is America"? Well, that is racist and goes against what America is about. Hence, the problem.

February 11, 2011 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry L

Please press one for English, and Two for Spanish.

February 11, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. tomcat

I apologize for getting on my soap box today, but I do not post here as much due to the "clones". Like Cesar, I too have been a victim of someone posting with my name. I realize imitation is the greatest form of flattery, but give me a break.

February 11, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  13. James

Its a shame Arizona has to put up with this! The federal gov. must step up to the job. I do not blame the governor for her actions. At least she sees the problem and wants to do something about it. Secure the border!!

February 11, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  14. armchairpolitics

Two words to consider in regards to your questions;
    Voter Fraud.

February 11, 2011 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  15. tomcat

@James..."its a shame Arizona has to put up with this". Hello....check, check....what about the US as a whole? If any Juan, Pablo or Maria can just waltze across the border and set up house......who the heck is stopping one of bin laden's friends? If the government was so concerned the borders, they would and could have been closed. BTW...while we focus only on the Mexican border, remember that small border we share with Canada?

February 11, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |