1.7 million baby monitors recalled after 2 infants strangled by cords
The Consumer Product Safety Commission advises against placing cords or corded cameras within 3 feet of a crib.
February 11th, 2011

1.7 million baby monitors recalled after 2 infants strangled by cords

A voluntary recall was issued Friday for 1.7 million video baby monitors, after federal regulators probed reports that two babies had died in the past 11 months after being strangled by electrical cords.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission issued the announcement in conjunction with Summer Infant, the Woonsocket, Rhode Island, company behind the monitors, which are made in China and sold at retailers nationwide.

The federal commission noted that at least seven babies and toddlers nationwide have died since 2004 after being strangled by monitor cords, the last two involving Summer Infant items.

That includes a 10-month-old girl from Washington, D.C., killed last March after being strangled by a cord from a Summer Infant monitor that had been placed atop her crib rail, the commission said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Consumer safety • Health • Recalls
  1. raven

You do everything to keep your baby safe,then THIS ? I feel bad for the parents .

February 12, 2011 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. Prom night dumpster baby

well thats just sad.

February 12, 2011 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. Parent

My sympathies for the parents, however, should every item with a cord be recalled? I have a corded monitor that sits safely out of harms reach in my infants room. imagine if every item in our life's with a cord were recalled, technology would cease to exist. A little intelligence and precaution goes a long way sometimes. Parents have to stop blaming cooperations and start putting the responsibility of their child's safety back onto their out shoulders, where it belongs.

February 12, 2011 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Susan

I agree. I do feel terrible. We had the exact monitor ourselves. We mounted it and rigged the cords to the wall for that very reason.... people have to start thinking and stop blaming.... It's getting so out of hand.

February 12, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sharday

All i gotta say is yoll need to stop doing dumb stuff cause going to jail aint even worth it so yoll need to chill,sit back and relax

February 12, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. mom

My sympathy to the families. But why was the monitor on top of the crib rail? Put it in a safe place out of reach of the child. Hide cords out of sight out of mind for youngsters who grab in curiosity

February 12, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  6. leeintulsa

Yeah. Among the first rules of raising kids is thinking ahead and not leaving dangerous things where they can get them.

February 12, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. Gradius

These parents sound like the type to give their babies plastic bags to play with. It's sad, but parents should be a bit smarter. If the monitors burst into flames then I could see a recall.

February 12, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. Lilo

Too bad *parents* are not subject to recall.

February 12, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  9. ****Waldo****

Gradius right? I know it. Bags to babies is bad.

February 12, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  10. ****Waldo****

Good one lilo. But if the parent's r recalled where do u think they would go too

February 12, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. Lilo

I know where I'd LIKE them to go, lol!

Remedial parenting classes for a start!

February 12, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Leon

If any one sues I hope the Judge throws both the Lawyer and the parents in Jail. I'm sorry if you lost a child but
    please THINK. 1.7 million recalled = ridiculous

February 12, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. People R Dumb

Are you guys kidding me? What is the next recall going to be for things made of Wood cause it could give you splinters? Or maybe paper cause it can give you paper cuts. Yeah it's too bad that people are stupid enough to put monitors with cords near babies... but really? It's called Baby proof your stuff people, Don't be stupid and demand a recall because you left a potentially dangerous item near your kids and your kid just happened to die. If anything they should throw the parents in jail for neglect and the lawyers should get disbarred for lack of common sense. The real Tragic thing is now the company is probably going to have to lay off a bunch of people all because of retarded parents.

February 12, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. RUFFNUTT

another excellent product made in china..

February 12, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Gradius

I do love how CNN threw that subliminal jab at China. Like American made electronics don't have cords. I don't like China any more than the next guy, but it's unfair to suggest that being a foreign product somehow made the cord reach around the baby's neck like a tentacle.

February 12, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |