3 teenage boys among 7 Somalis facing death in Malaysia piracy case
Piracy suspects are escorted from a magistrate's hearing in Kuala Lumpur on January 31.
February 11th, 2011

3 teenage boys among 7 Somalis facing death in Malaysia piracy case

Seven Somalis, including three boys under 15 years old, could face the death penalty if convicted on charges of firing on Malaysian armed forces while attempting to a hijack a merchant ship.

The seven appeared before a Malaysia magistrate in Kuala Lumpur on Friday to hear the charges against them. They did not enter a plea and were transferred to a prison to await the next court action, set for March 15, the Malaysian national news agency Bernama reported.

The charges stem from an attack on the container ship Bunga Laurel in the Gulf of Aden on January 20.

Malaysian authorities say the seven suspects fired on Malaysian navy commandos who were trying to rescue the Bunga Laurel from pirates. Three suspects were injured in the gunbattle, and the ship and its crew of 23 were rescued, according a report in The Star.

The Bunga Laurel was registered in Panama, owned by a Japanese company, crewed by Filipinos and chartered by a Malaysian company, according to news reports.

Prosecutors argued Friday that the attempted piracy endangered Malaysia's national security, providing legal authority for the seven to be tried in Malaysia, Bernama reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Malaysia • Pirates • World
  1. Barbarossa

The anti-piracy laws are the oldest international laws. In short, when captured, pirates could be summarily hanged before reacing port at the discretion of the capturing captain. These dudes are lucky that they have the luxury of stepping on dry land one more time.

"During the 17th and 18th centuries, once pirates were caught, justice was meted out in a summary fashion, and many ended their lives by "dancing the hempen jig", or hanging at the end of a rope. Public execution was a form of entertainment at the time, and people came out to watch them as they would to a sporting event today."

February 11, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Indymid

You did say 17th and 18th centuries didn't you. You really feel we should go back to the laws of those days? By the way the Salem Witch trials were around 1690!!!

February 11, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bitewell

Hang these filthy Somali buggers. It should be a blessing for them 'cause they'll be spared the misery of living in that miserable sh**thole of a country! Hoist em up, mateys! Aaaargh!

February 11, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • hunnykins

@indymid – 1600-1699 = 17th century. Salem witch trials commenced February of 1692, ended in May of 1693. I'm from New England, I've been to Salem. Interesting place. Don't go on Halloween, unless you love huge crowds. It's like Mardi Gras, for the young goth set.

February 11, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken in TN

IT was not a form of entertainment, public execution sent a strong message to the people – do like him, die like him. How many street thugs do you think would DARE if they could witness their future if they took on a life of crime?

February 11, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • fearlessdude

Remember, piracy is a British invention; they built special pirate ships to capture Spanish ships (and gold). The Spaniard sailers feared them because the British killed everybody on the captured ships.

February 11, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Who said Americans find Iran barbaric when under Sharia law children are hanged there? Ain't hippocracy just so weird.

February 11, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Didyourdadtellyounottokillpeople?

where is the hypocrisy?

February 11, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • malibu1369

Ken, Ken, Ken (In TN)... Public Executions between 1650 and 1800 were actually a form of public entertainment. They didn't stop people from committing crimes, and weren't designed to. These executions created a public fair on the day and allowed merchants to make more money (ie. pay more taxes) and allowed the public to, for a while, forget the sordid existence that they typically suffered. Social Anthropology, man, you need to do your research. Never has any death penalty been a deterrent. Even when (claimed) people were hanged, then strangled, then dismembered, then drawn and quartered. Brains...use them

February 11, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. justme

aaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

February 11, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • nfvn3

shiverrrrrrrrr me timbers!

February 11, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. seastate

I didn't know priates had birth certicates.

February 11, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hypo Gore

Birth certificates? Pirates – yes, Presidents – no.

February 11, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aubrie

Hypo... LOL That speaks volumes doesn't it?

February 11, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trash

Volumes about how stupid you both are.

February 11, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hypo Gore

Trash,
      Let me guess. You are either a child, a union member, or unemployed.

February 11, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ned

Ha ha. He's the President and you're still a loser. What's that birth certificate get you now. Maybe you should have tried a degree instead.

February 11, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hypo Gore

Ned,
      Ha ha. I think my 2 degrees and 1 term of Obamanation are enough for me thanks. I guarantee that you use technology that I have helped create during the last 2 decades, so I kind of enjoy that you think I'm a loser. Somehow I think you can't say the same about your accomplishments in life. Enjoy paying your union dues, I don't need people to negotiate for me.

February 11, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Didyourdadtellyounottokillpeople?

You should really cite your work Hypo, if you can.

February 11, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Didyourdadtellyounottokillpeople?

I also know a guy with a history degree and a philosophy degree. He used to work for me when I graduated high school and was a retail manager. That was pretty funny because his history degree was a Masters. Now that I have my Ph.D. in Engineering though I don't really see much of him. I think he works at a bank though.

February 11, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hypo Gore

Yes I should cite my work ... but I won't. There is no upside in today's highly partisan environment, where character assassination is the norm, for me to highlight any more than I already have. I did indicate that my work is technological in nature. Both of my degrees (BS, MS) are too. This forum doesn't mean enough to me and I'd prefer to remain relatively anonymous.

February 11, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • malibu1369

Hypo Gore... A Sheep in Wolf's Clothing...

February 11, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. cencoastdave

I hope they do in fact get convicted and put to death. They are useless to society and need to be used as an example to other pirates.

February 11, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sash

kinda harsh feelings here

February 11, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • jbcal

Right, because we all know that those pirates sit around watching tv during their spare time.

February 11, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. NuclearPower

Kill them then drop a thermonuclear weapon on Somalia. There will be no more pirates.
    From there Nuke Iran and make it clear if you screw with the superpowers we will evaporate your homeland.
    Eventually everyone (left) will do what we say.

February 11, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duffey

Your assine responses make you irrelevent.

February 11, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Garbo

yarn...

February 11, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • DL

You are a neandertal. Go nuke yourself.

February 11, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • PraiseThLard

Sieg Heil !!!!

February 11, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • jake

Bombs are too messy. A nice biological weapon would do the trick.

February 11, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Adolf H

Black... guilty!!

February 11, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • AMERICAN CITIZEN

Adolph......stupid!!

February 11, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. somuchfor

Different culture. Different maturity rate. They knew what they faced and are not "children" by other cultures' definitions of children.

February 11, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Indymid

They never got the chance to be children!!!

February 11, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • somuchfor

@indymid: That may be but it doesn't change anything.

February 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. gabriel

Why don't you put them to work for Society for the rest of heir life... Why need to excute them when you can get free labour from them..

There is not benefits from killing or jailing them... Make them slave to society doing jobs which no one want to picking fruits or vegetables that no one want to do... Imagine the untap labour force that is in our prison!!!

February 11, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Duffey

These are not typical 15 year old kids. They are 15 gong on 50!

February 11, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mike

Cttnmth420: Rico is right and you are wrong. International law is what it is. It is not in US jurisdiction. We are NOT the police men of the world!

February 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JIMIATLAS

For once, justice that is undeniable and understandable.

February 11, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Indymid

Undeniable, understandable, for who?

February 11, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • UmptySquat

Understandable for the pirates. Umm, I think they will perfectly understand when the noose is put around their neck's or head on a chopping block. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

February 11, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Justice

Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out.

February 11, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Indymid

Does that include yourself?

February 11, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • EV

Exactly my feeling on how we should handle Republicans.

February 11, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MIKE

Hey if they can carry and shoot a gun then they should die for their crimes.

February 11, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ohhiya

Malasyia is a Sharia law country after all. What does Sharia law say about pirates?

February 11, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aubrie

Sharia "law" would probably award them with medals.....

February 11, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Brett

What a surprise, they're black (you know, cause their from Somalia).

February 11, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |