Woman rescues husband in tiger attack
A Malaysian Tiger at the National Zoo in Kuala Lumpur.
February 14th, 2011

Woman rescues husband in tiger attack

A villager in Malaysia has his wife to thank after she charged a tiger that had pounced on him in the forest, according to the Malaysia Star.

Tambun Gediu, who is in his 60s, was hunting for squirrels Saturday morning when he heard some rustling in the leaves, he told the Star.

He said the tiger was upon him so fast he didn't have time to react, according to the paper.

“My first instinct was to climb a tree but the tiger pounced and started clawing me,” he told the Star. “I had to use all my force to push the tiger’s mouth away from my face while shouting for help.”

Han Besou, 55, who was several feet away, heard the screams of her husband and charged the tiger with a large soup spoon, bopping it on the head, the paper reported. The animal fled.

The attack happened in the Gerik Belum Forest Reserve, where the aboriginal Orang Asli people reside. The attack was unprecedented in the village, the Star reported.

The villager, who suffered wounds to his knees, head and neck, was in stable condition Sunday after being transferred to Hospital Raja Permaisur Bainun, state Wildlife and National Parks Department director Shabrina Mohd Shariff told the Star.

Wildlife officials were awaiting a permit Monday to chase the tiger farther into the jungle, the director told The Star.

Post by:
Filed under: Malaysia • Tigers
  1. Wisdom4u2

Typical husband – blundering around with his eyes wide-SHUT – getting into trouble then screaming like a lil bia tch for his wife to come rescue him!!
    Not surprising!!

February 14, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sue

@Collins61 –
    It's "Abracadabra," not "Abre Cadaver"
    It's "taut," not "taught"

Please learn to spell.

February 14, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • SugaMartini

I think "Abre Cadaver" was more funny 😉

February 14, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. steve c

If I was the tiger I'd tea bag the woman for hitting me in the head with a kitchen utensil. I would have another tiger buddy on hand to take a picture for facebook of course.

February 14, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. CYNTHIA RUTHERFORD

A lot to be said for the wife.YOU GO GIRL.SOME OF THE COMMENTS ARE SO DUMB.SOME OF YOU SHOULD BE SO BRAVE AND SO LUCKY.SQUIRRELS CAN BE EATTEN.NOT MUCH TO EAT BUT ARE A FOOD .HUMANS HAVE TO STOP TAKING THE ANIMALS SPACE.JUST LIKE HUMANES WHERE ARE THE ANIMALS SUPPOSE TO GO WHEN THEIR HOMES ARE TAKEN? HUMANS CAN BE SO STUPID.PEOPLE LOST THEIR HOMES .. WHERE DO THEY GO???? WHERE EVER THEY COULD.

February 14, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sockness Monster

Why are you yelling ?

February 14, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • JackieInDallas

Number one, you'd probably get more agreement from people if you would stop using all caps, which is stupid. One word for emphasis....OK, I do that, but not the majority of your post!

Number two, it is properly "humans" NOT "humanes." Humane means "characterized by tenderness, compassion, and sympathy for people and animals," which you have to agree, does not describe all humans (and doesn't have a plural form)!

February 14, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tammy D

I stopped emailing my lover at AT&T. downstammy@ymail.com

February 14, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. NYPrincessTt

Amazing how many people on here are questioning why he was hunting squirrels/what they were doing on the nature preserve. They live in a small village in MALAYSIA! An ABORIGINAL village! Yes, they hunt and eat squirrels. No, they do not have iphones or internet, or McDonald's drive through. Get your heads out of your bums before hitting the "post" button, please!

February 14, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Big Al

She will NEVER let him live this down!

February 14, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sockness Monster

Calvin needs to keep a closer eye on Hobbes
    always up to no good !
    Heck Calvin probably put him up to it !!

February 14, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sockness Monster

Be very quiet
    im hunting wabbits...............

February 14, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. SHOOOOOO

I just farted! Shooooo! : )

February 14, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jim

I thought the headline was about Tiger (pro golfer) attacking someone after he was fined for spitting (see other CNN story).

February 14, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Burbank

Watch out for irate women with cooking utensils!

February 14, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dachief

I think he got what he deserved... squirrel hunting... I guess the ultimate irony is him being hunted by something bigger than himself.. I only wish he couldve lost a limb to remind him not to hunt... Hahahahaha

February 14, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlotte

whiat kind of clueless ignoramus has issues with aboriginal people hunting their food? It isn't like they can go to the corner supermarket. Nothing wrong with hunting if you need the meat and if you're going to use what you kill. This also goes for the tiger, by the way.

February 14, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aeromechanic.

Have you ever eaten squirrel? It;s good enough to risk being attacked by a tiger.

February 14, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jj

i bet she keeps him from lion too.

February 14, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Susan

She must not have had life insurance on him.

February 14, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |