February 15th, 2011

Army private accused of rape escapes custody

Authorities were searching late Monday for an Army private who escaped military custody and is also accused of raping a 15-year-old.

Daniel Brazelton, 20, was being held in a jail in Georgia and was scheduled to be extradited to Los Angeles to face charges of rape of a minor, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said.

On Friday, Brazelton was taken from the jail in Hinesville, Georgia, to nearby Fort Stewart for medical reasons. When he was being taken back to the jail, he escaped from an Army vehicle.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime • Georgia
  1. Tomaz

He has a ssn. Stop making news for dollar from this and track him fast before its late!

February 15, 2011 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
    • goat

I don't think you realize how SSNs work...

February 15, 2011 at 4:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

I see, so the news media should access his social security number and track him with it?
      Rather than do what the news media does, which is inform the populace of something going on and hazards wandering the land?

February 15, 2011 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
    • rico

Are you really this trivial and dumb?

February 15, 2011 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. aaron

Really? What do you think there is a tracker inside his social security card? The gov't can punch up his # and it gives them realtime location? Come on think before you type!

February 15, 2011 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  3. Doug

Really.. Seriously, how does this happen.. Of course the loser that lost his still has a job.. Ohh, I need a government job!

February 15, 2011 at 5:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Well, since you needs such a job, feel free to visit your local US Army recruiter and sign up!
      I find it especially interesting that you criticize this in such a way WITHOUT ANY REAL FACTS on what happened!
      So, go get the facts! Sign up for the Army. You sound JUST bright enough to be a cook.

February 15, 2011 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Sagebrush Shorty

Join the Army, meet interesting people and kill them. It's a living.

February 15, 2011 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul

HA! You couldn't hack having a government job. Thinka government job is what you watch on Fox television? My pay and benefits are public knowledge, they get debated every year by Congress (who have no idea of what I really do to reduce threats to this country), and if I'm lucky, I get a miniscule pension and a pat on the back at the end of thirty years (no gold watch either). Meanwhile, the rest of the country has no idea what I do (because by law, I'm not supposed to talk about it), and so they envision me as some fat lazy bureaucrat, instead of the guy who works long hours for little pay and who gets to see his kids only a few precious hours on nights and weekends. I do it out of some deluded sense of patriotism; i.e. protecting thankless citizens like yourself. Trust me - you really couldn't hack a government job.

February 15, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Paul, what agency are you working for? I did 27+ years in the Army, then contracted for a bit.
      Got along GREAT with my contracting officer, as she and I had the same view: The government will get what they pay for (OK, for ME, a bit more, those kids need the best support that they can have).

February 15, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Lt. Col. Jeffrey Allen says Brazelton jumped from the van on Airport Road as it was stuck in traffic and ran toward a nearby wooded area. Soldiers chased him but couldn't catch him.
      Now, HOW do they consider him armed and dangerous? Unless he lives off post in that area and has a weapon at home...

February 15, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ourmomentofsilence

somewhere in the real world today..real people are thinking...glad it is you and not us for a change. Thanks for keeping it all american this time.

February 15, 2011 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. really?

And you folks were worried about gays serving in the military?

February 15, 2011 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
    • james

Yeah, because it would have been an eight year old boy instead of a fifteen year old girl.

February 15, 2011 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. Chox

Just a quick thought here for CNN... If it's newsworthy to post the story, how about giving us a picture of him so we can report it if we see him?

February 15, 2011 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

OK, not a problem. CNN can just go to their files of photographs of every human on Earth and post his photograph.
      If the sheriff didn't produce a photograph and the military didn't release one, I guess we should keep you happy and keep it all TS/SCI?

February 15, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. brokerbabe076

The focus should be the escape not the escapee. Rounding up the bad guys is always newsworthy, but prevention keeps everyone safe. Somebody messed up.

February 15, 2011 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mr President

I would like to thank our brave men and women on a quick capture if not for them this world would be a horrible place. I am thinking about giving them a 10 percent payraise then i hear things like this and say each one of them ought to pay me 10 percent

February 15, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  9. pebblewebble

= am for certain that after its all said and done there will be many more revelations about our soldiers abusing their authority and unjusticely killing and raping people in the middle east and trying to cover it up!! This madness is just feeding the hatred and disdain that so many people around the world have for Americans!!

February 15, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |