Congresswoman wants to end military's NASCAR sponsorships
The National Guard logo is displayed all over popular NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s car, cap and fire suit.
February 16th, 2011

Congresswoman wants to end military's NASCAR sponsorships

A member of Congress wants to end the military's sponsorship of NASCAR race teams, saying it's a waste of taxpayers' money.

Rep. Betty McCollum, D-Minnesota, is offering an amendment to the 2011 House budget bill to ban the sponsorships, which her office said has cost the military $100 million over the past 10 years, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

The National Guard sponsors Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s team, the Army sponsors Ryan Newman, and the Air Force sponsors AJ Allmendinger, according to HamptonRoads.com.

"I would challenge the Pentagon to give me one example of someone today in Iraq or Afghanistan who saw the Go Army car going around the racetrack and that's why they joined the Army," Bill Harper, McCollum's chief of staff, told HamptonRoads.com. "It may be the reason why they go to Home Depot but not necessarily Afghanistan."

McCollum is in her sixth term and serves on the House Appropriations and Budget committees.

"NASCAR fans are the kind of people who fight America's wars, which would put into question the wisdom of banning the military's ability to reach out to them," NASCAR spokesman Randy Poston said in the HamptonRoads report.

More than 400 amendments to the budget bill have been offered. To become part of the law, they must survive subcommittee and committee votes as well as passage by the full House and Senate, followed by the president's signature.

Post by:
Filed under: Auto racing • Politics • Sports
  1. fan

Hey palinwit do you know that your mama practices the sport of fukkin and blowin diks

February 16, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. palintwit

Big teabagging rally tonight at the John Birch Society Memorial Nascar Track. Plenty of trailer parking available. Bring your own roadkill.

February 16, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jared

NASCAR is for morons and rednecks.

Ban these sponsorships and use the money for something intelligent, such as infrastructure repair, public schools, etc.

February 16, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • TexanPatriot

Geez, can you come up with something a little more intelligent? Maybe you like synchronized swimming?

February 17, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. Hello!

Advertising/recruiting works. The most recent Medal of Honor recipient talked to a recruiter because he wanted a tshirt! You may not like NASCAR, but young adults do.

February 16, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • SCVipermad

And if you all want to keep speaking ENGLISH...We all might want to worry about those young adults!! When you're in the Army, or Navy...and you're deployed (on month #6 of who-knows-how-many)...and you see "YOUR" car on the tiny screen everyone is gathered around at 1AM (due to the time-zones)....that sponsorship has done its job!

The Democrat is a twit!

February 16, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. palintwit

Hey fan...better hurry back to your double wide. You'll miss pro-wrestling.

February 16, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  6. rayzor

I was there 2009-2010 and I was the only NASCAR fan that I knew of.

February 16, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  7. bstankersley

well – she uses the Home Depot analogy. Let's do another – I bet Home Depot has very precise marketing study numbers and can tell you very precisely how the NASCAR sponsorship affects their shopping numbers. My guess is, the government has no such study and couldn't even begin to tell you how many recruits they signed as a direct result of the NASCAR sponsordhips.

February 16, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  8. rayzor

Obye the way I don't live in a double wide beat my wife kick my dog but some times I do like to get a buzz on.

February 16, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  9. fan

Palinwit fukk you

February 16, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Adam

You're hysterical man, purely priceless! You talk a lot about moms and blowin diks, it seems like you have some sick desire to live out your twisted fantasy.

February 16, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  10. Ian

NASCAR sucks, but I'm more amazed that they let Budweiser sponsor a car. Beer and a car going 200 mph seems to send the wrong message.

February 16, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  11. Bob F.

I am a decorated Vietnam veteran. I contend that NASCAR's comment (""NASCAR fans are the kind of people who fight America's wars...") is absurd. I cannot STAND NASCAR racing yet I fought with honor in Vietnam. It's not that I don't like motor sports, it's just NASCAR. INDY 500 is fine, a good drag race is fine, Formula 1 is fine. NASCAR is as boring as spit. The drivers and teams fight to drum up fan interest because the racing is boring beyond belief.

February 16, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  12. tj

I'd rather see the tax dlaars go to NASCAR as opposed to the idiot on food stamps at the grocery store who drives a lexus!

February 16, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  13. Tacjam

If the Military wants to spend it's advertising budget on NASCAR...so what? It's the biggest spectator sport in the world...where else would you spend your money? Wow, Min..you guys have a problem on your hands...BILLIONS spent on social welfare for people that shouldn't even be in the country...but you can't spend millions on our Armed Forces advertising..

February 16, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  14. LTSully

I chuckle when I see posts from "Mike" and "Da Man" that degrade NASCAR fans and "foot soldiers' educational levels" yet both have grammatical errors in their posts. Sources considered. Maybe they're bitter because they could not meet the entry-level educational requirements to serve in the military or their (not there) marbles haven't descended yet. I am a NASCAR fan, was an Army Officer and have an MBA. How do your stereotypical models hold-up now?

February 16, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  15. palintwit

Fan... I hear you're getting that new fangled indoor plumbing in your double wide. Did they mention you don't have to pour a cup full of lye down the hole anymore?

February 16, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |