Dollars & Sense: $1M sports car eyes U.S.; Madoff's rebuttal
Zero to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds -- yours for the low, low price of $1.1 million.
February 16th, 2011

Dollars & Sense: $1M sports car eyes U.S.; Madoff's rebuttal

A roundup of today's CNNMoney news:

$1 million Italian supercar headed to the United States: The 700-horsepower Pagani Huayra is named after the ancient Andean wind god Aymara Huayra Tata. It is powered by a 6-liter twin-turbocharged 12-cylinder engine produced by the AMG division of Mercedes-Benz.

$300M for lawyers in Madoff mess: An organization that provides financial protection to investors has paid more than $290 million to law firms and consultants. They are tasked with tracking down and recovering Bernard Madoff's stolen assets. The ponzi schemer, meanwhile, is claiming banks "had to know" about what was going on.

Illinois governor proposes borrowing $8.7 billion: A month after Illinois lawmakers approved a massive tax increase, Gov. Pat Quinn unveiled a $35.4 billion budget. It increases spending and slashes programs for the elderly, the poor and the disabled. Meanwhile, the Connecticut governor is proposing sweeping tax hikes. The general sales tax rate would increase to 6.25%, up from 6%, raising an additional $461 million.

College students socked by budget cuts: States are slashing funding for higher education, forcing many colleges to eliminate majors and entire departments. The cuts are forcing many to alter plans, change majors or even switch schools.

Angry birds escape digital realm: Manufacturers like Mattel and Spin Masters are creating games and toys based on popular apps and websites.

Post by:
Filed under: Dollars & Sense
  1. RUFFNUTT

my camaro is almost that fast.. im saveing up for a nitrous kit.. and then they'll never catch me..

February 16, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mohamad

Oh yes Ruffnut I think I like your car. Camaro you say. So sorry it is not in my famlys fleet. We only have luxury cars like lexus or mercedes maybe cadallic. Have fun in your camaro. Come to Yemen one day and I teach you to dreive sports car yes??

February 16, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy

Oh yeppers, those family "sports cars" of yours will certainly beat the pants off of Ruffie's Camaro. NOT!

February 16, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeff Frank

$1 million italian sports car with 700 horsepower. Yeah right. Quick put one on my Platnum Card. Most cities and townships have a "street legal" 500 horsepower limit in place, making these kinds of cars impractical and illegal in this country, unless you have a trailer to show it off, from place to place. Back to work... later 🙂

February 16, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

is that at the flywheel or at the wheels?

February 16, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. RUFFNUTT

700hp is not really that good of a deal for 1kk$

for that much you could get a 2011 zr1 vette and have it tuned way over 700hp and could take the extra 800k$ and build a shelter for the rehabilitation of ferral cats..

February 16, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

Ruffie, you are really a silly man! Don't ever change!

February 16, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cesar

@banasy, I'm with you on our crazy RuffNutt-the real RuffNutt. I have spotted fake RuffNutt a few times. Anyway, Raven is in Alaska. I am in Texas. Would you mind sharing which state you are from? RuffNutt how about you?-State?

February 16, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Scottish Mama

This is one ugly car.

February 16, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RUFFNUTT

I live in south kansas city missouri..

February 16, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cesar

Mo, never would have guessed. I live in south TX.

February 16, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. RUFFNUTT

the cat is back.. but im ready tonight if he tries anything.. i have some cat mace and a sling-shot.. he pee'd on my camaro last night.. and left a bunch of cat-man-doo all over.. i have a theory that cat dont have 9 lives and im going to test it tonight..

February 16, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy

I live near Chicago, Cesar.

February 16, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. AmericanMuscle

A Corvette ZR1 has a 0-60 of 3.3 seconds and a top speed of 205, for one 10th the cost. Of course anyone with $1.4 million to drop on a car only wants it for the price tag. The foreign supercars have beautiful interiors though I give them that.

February 16, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

that comment sounds familiar,, oh yeah that was my idea.. 🙂 that zr1 is awesome..

February 16, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy

Are you sure it's a *cat*, RUFFNUTT? Not an angry ex? Y'know, a ticked-off p uss y y?

February 16, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. RUFFNUTT

im not sure what it is but it in cat-form.. i should have never ate mushroooms and droped that white blotter then watched cat-people..

February 16, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |