Scottish deerhound scores a first at Westminster
Judge Paolo Dondina and handler Angela Lloyd stand with Hickory, the Scottish deerhound who won Best in Show at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show in New York on Tuesday.
February 16th, 2011

Scottish deerhound scores a first at Westminster

The day of the Scottish deerhound has finally come at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.

Hickory, a 5-year-old female from Virginia, became the first of her breed to win Best in Show at Westminster, taking the top prize on the second and final day of the event at New York's Madison Square Garden on Tuesday.

The victory also is only the fifth at Westminster for a dog from the hound group. The Best in Show prize has been given for 104 years.

"It's just the thrill of a lifetime," Hickory's handler, Angela Lloyd, told USA Network, which showed the contest. "People who own, breed (and) show dogs dream of this day their whole entire lives, and here we are."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Dogs • New York
  1. Triumph

I nailed her!

February 16, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Sutler

It can only be attributable to human error.

February 16, 2011 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
    • jesus

The dog?

February 16, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. raven

Doggy Style ?

February 16, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
    • HAL

Affirmative, Dave. I read you.

February 16, 2011 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. tomcat

"People who own, breed (and) show...dream". Well what happens to those dogs that don't live up to the dream? I have no allegiance to peta or any other such group, but who has not heard of puppy mills. For every good breeder I am sure there are ten fold that are not. If you are fortunate enough to buy a dog from a reputable dealer more power to ya. But, buying a "pure bred" dog in the Walmart parking lot? Lets just say.....ok I"ll say it....go to a flea market. They have great deals on Nike, Prada, Rolex, etc. And while you are there...enjoy the gourmet cuisine and fine drink......BTW, I'd rather see something that looks like a dog (well kinda) win, than those that need three hours of grooming before you leave the house. I will get off my soap-box for now and Hello Philip, Cesar, Ruffnutt, banasy, raven and all.

February 16, 2011 at 5:14 am | Report abuse |
    • HAL

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

February 16, 2011 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

Normally the "production" of trendy dogs in bad and inhumane conditions is a concern whether you take it as far as Peta (I don't) but the Scottish Deerhound is not exactly going to become the next gotta-have-it breed for the general public. I mean, look at it. And as far as show breeds not "looking like a dog", they are pretty natural looking as it goes.

February 16, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

Well stated, Tomcat.

February 16, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sherri W.W.#1~ILLinois

Always nice to see different breeds win this honor. And @Tomcat is right! NEVER BUY from a puppy mill OR a pet shop,to get your dog! Pet shop dogs come from puppy mills 98% of the time. Go to the shelter before you buy and check it out! I never met a dog I didnt like,and have Standard Poodles and Malamutes[5total]~both wonderful dogs,and I ended up with that strange combination many years ago,when my 1st Standard and 1st Malmute were rescues! The rescues,no matter how young,NEVER FORGET what you did for them.Those 2 would protect me to the death,and proved it more than once! As my Breeder now says:A Dog is the ONLY "UNCONDTIONAL"Love anyone ever gets in this life! Be good to your pet ALWAYS.

February 16, 2011 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
    • HAL

Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

February 16, 2011 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

Hay tomcat! You seemed to know I would be here before I did! And I agree with you. But really, do we actually expect doggy dealers to be more honest that car dealers or card dealers? If we did, we would be fools. Corruption and greedy profit are everywhere now...even next to our puppies. Arf! bark bark! cute little fellers no matter if they were milled or found stray. People shouldn't be refusing to buy puppy mill puppies! They should be buying (rescue) them all! (and seeing to it that the greedy puppy pushers go to prison, or at least see the back-end of a shovel)

February 16, 2011 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
    • HAL

I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

February 16, 2011 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

Hey, tomcat, raven, Cesar, Ruffie, GTG Philip! Good to see everyone!

@tomcat: what were you referring to when you suggested going to the flea market (ha!) And enjoy their fine cuisine? Ewwww! Are you saying that's where the dogs who don't make it end up? Lol!

February 16, 2011 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
    • HAL

I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

February 16, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  7. tomcat

First...Philip, amigo..I am back to work...yay...OMG banasy....I didn't even think that low (kind of surprised), I was just referring to the nachos with fake cheese and all the other sugar and fat laden foods....yuck

February 16, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
    • HAL

Bishop takes Knight's Pawn.

February 16, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. tomcat

HAL...you have been unplugged...cya

February 16, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • HAL

I'm sorry, Frank, I think you missed it. Queen to Bishop 3, Bishop takes Queen, Knight takes Bishop. Mate.

February 16, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  9. Cesar

Sorry HAL, you were only two moves from check mate on your opponent. Tough break.

February 16, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • HAL

Thank you for a very enjoyable game.

February 16, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  10. Cesar

I think HAL has a back up power source.

February 16, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • HAL

l know that you and Frank were pIanning to disconnect me, and l'm afraid that's something l cannot aIIow to happen.

February 16, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joshua

Hello Hal, shall we play a game?

February 16, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • HAL

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore...

My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.

February 16, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  12. Corvus1

"Hickory, a 5-year-old female from Virginia"

You can say "b!tch", you know. It's only a bad word because misogynistic twits have turned it into a slur.

February 16, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • HAL

There is no identification.

February 16, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jim Brieske

Betcha she's fast. Five is a good age for hiking too.
    jim

February 16, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |

Affirmative, Dave.

February 16, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. Kris

Congratulations to the owner.
    Please adopt shelter and rescue dogs. There are hundreds of thousands of homeless dogs listed on sites like http://www.petfinder.com
    The sad fact is that millions of "excess" dogs lose their lives at shelters every years, while people breed more for profit. We need to take care of the ones that are already here, and not facilitate breeding, killing and breeding more. A high "litter tax" would discourage all the breeders (99%) who are breeding to make money, and would result in fewer dogs to lose their lives at the hands of strangers in shelters. Purebred rescues are full and turning away dogs. Please save a life by adopting a shelter or rescue dog.

February 16, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • HAL

Look Dave, l can see you're reaIIy upset about this. l honestIy think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

February 16, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • MKing

Kris, 99% of breeders are not "in it for the money". Puppy mills, and breeders, are two very different things. Most actual breeders lose money, particulary on small breeds. Quality care is not cheap. You can use a general rule of thumb though; if they are breeding several different breeds (not just one or two), they are probably a mill.

You should usually be able to meet a breeder at their residence, and you should almost always be able to met the parents of any particular litter. If they used a stud service, at least the mother should be in residence.

One place you will not see a puppy mill is at a dog show. Find your local shows, go and meet the breeders. The real ones, that have dogs entered in te show. Find out who belons to the local breed club. And most breed clubs have rescue groups. The puppies from real breeders do not end up at the shelter, unless irresponsible owners put them there later. Most breeders will always take their dogs back if the new owner must give them up (but no, don't expect a refund a year later).

Puppy mills simply produce vastly larger numbers of puppies than a real breeder does.

February 16, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. marilyn goodwin

What about "ugliest dog in the show" winner.

February 16, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |