Teacher Natalie Munroe defends blog comments about 'whiny' students
Teacher Natalie Munroe says her blog posts griping about students were not meant for public consumption.
February 16th, 2011

Teacher Natalie Munroe defends blog comments about 'whiny' students

A Pennsylvania English teacher who called her high school students "rude, lazy, disengaged whiners" on her personal blog is standing by her comments after being suspended from her position over the controversy.

"I'm sorry it was taken out of context but I stand by what I said," Natalie Munroe told ABC's "Good Morning America" Wednesday.

The 30-year-old expecting mother said she wrote the posts on natalieshandbasket under the name Natalie M. with the intention that only friends would read the blog. The posts are no longer available on the blog but searchable in a cached version of the site.

"I was writing it not about anyone specific. They were caricatures of students that I've had over the years, things that I would say if we weren't limited in the canned comments that we're allowed to write. And again, it was partially meant tongue in cheek for me and my friends."

In several posts between August 2009 and November 2010, Munroe vented her frustrations - and shared a few positive experiences - with students she found to be "out of control" and lacking "honor and good moral character."

She has been suspended with pay, and her lawyer said she is waiting to see how the school will proceed before deciding whether to take legal action.

"It was not meant for everybody to see but if it's going to get out there, maybe it'll start a conversation that needs to be had," Munroe told ABC.

And boy, did it ever. The subject has topped Google trends and Twitter for the past two days, sparking heated discussions online and in real life over whether Munroe was out of line.

"Her comments about her students may or may not be on point. But as an educator, isn't*** her JOB to get through to these problem students and put them on the right educational track?" said one commenter on PhillyBurbs.com, the hometown newspaper of Bucks County, where Munroe teaches.

"To me, it seems as if Ms. Munroe is more preoccupied with complaining about her students than she is educating them. Her 'canned comments' look like something an eighth-grader would come up with. It's not helpful to anyone, and just illustrates how ineffective she must be as a teacher."

The controversy has also generated discussion on the timeless topic of what's up with kids today, anyway?

"She is 100% correct. There is no way she should lose her job," a Huffington Post commenter said. "When will we start holding parents accountabl­e? Perhaps if we make it a crime - a form of child abuse - to send a child to school unprepared, perhaps parents will become more engaged. If parents are fined for their child's behavior, maybe it'll knock some sense into both parents and child. I've taught in public schools and let me tell you it is hell for the teacher and any kid that really wants to learn," a Huffington Post commenter wrote.

As the controversy grew over the weekend, Munroe wrote a post titled, "Where are we going & why are we in this handbasket," lamenting that the public had latched "onto pieces of what I wrote without A. knowing any back story, and B. knowing the whole story."

She also noted that of 84 blog posts, 60 of them had nothing to do with school and work.

"Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, I didn't - and don't - feel negatively toward all students. As I mentioned in another blog that nobody chooses to talk about, there were delightful students in school, too. I fondly discussed some wonderful students who shined in the school's Jazz and Poetry Festival, and I even said that I was proud to be part of the school at events like that," she wrote.

"But the fact remains that every year, more and more, students are coming in less willing to work, to think, to cooperate. These are the students I was complaining about in my blog. The same way millions of Americans go home at the end of the day and complain about select co-workers or clients or other jerks they had to deal with, I came home and complained on my blog about those I had to deal with."

Post by:
Filed under: Education • Pennsylvania • Technology
  1. RUFFNUTT

to bad the prociple cant still sp-ank the bad kids in school

February 16, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonathan Mitchell

I fully support Mrs. Munroe's expression of her displeasure and believe she has a protected right to opine in such a manner. Often times the things which offend people most are the ones which are true. The famous phrase "you can't handle the truth!" comes to mind. Of course, there is a line to be drawn and such speech should not extend beyond what is true and observeable. All too often, however, ignorance rears it's ugly head and the "truth" can be bent, twisted, and taken wholly out of context such that it becomes an opinion on what is the truth and not the actual truth.

The reason for any restrictions on the freedom of speech have arisen because of the overly-sensitive reactions of a public who can't handle 1) the truth and 2) the responsibilities of their first amendment rights. If your kid is lazy, change the way you are raising him, don't blame or villify the teacher who pointed it out. Strive to be a better American and learn from your critics instead of simply complaining about the fact that you are being criticized.

February 16, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • lilfro22

I would compare this to talking poorly in a public forum about your co-workers. You might be right, but that doesn't mean you're intelligent to do what you're doing. She should focus on educating her students and if she needs to vent, find a proper (private) forum to do so.

February 16, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Concerned

It is amazing to me how the parents and school principles want to blame the teachers, and unfortunately, Venice is right.
      I date a teacher and the horror stories she tells me about lazy and whiny students is never ending, and if she gives them the low grade they deserve, here come the parents and their attorney, an then the principle will up the grade so they do not have to deal with the whiny parents. And we wonder why America is falling behind with our education to our children.

February 16, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • BlameTheParents

I teach, and I love what I do, but she is right. Parents have taken any responsibility away from the kids, and never let them fail. Kids need to learn how to be self-sufficient, to care about what they do, and how to take responsibility for their choices...good or bad. Teaching is a hard job, and trust me when I say that the real battle is with the parents. I worked at a school where teachers carried mace because so many were physically attacked by students, attacked enough for a few of them to spend a couple of weeks in the hospital. And what was the punishment for the kid? Only three weeks of alternative school! Oh, and if a student fails..you better be ready to get a lawyer. After all, it is never the fault of the student when a kid doesn't do their homework, or talks back, or refuses to study. That is the teachers fault! The parents want to do nothing, while the teachers are trying to teach these kids, and guide them in the right direction. Then, when we do tell a kid no, or hold them accountable, the parent shows up to tell the teacher what we are doing wrong...and if we don't back down, like I said...time to lawyer up. There is a reason teachers have to carry $10 million in liability insurance, and it is because parents are more interested in seeing us as paychecks, instead of teachers. It is pretty pathetic.

February 16, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • leftandlovinit

Teacher is 100% correct. Most students today are rude, disrespectful ,defiant, and lazy. Many of them do not value their education or the opportunity afforded them. When they show up for a parent conference with their parents, one can easily understand why the child is the way they are. We need to track students, and offer vocational training to those who are not college bound. Perhaps some students who would typically drop out might envision a more successful path in life and become productive citizens.Teachers are not parents and believe it or not, by the time the child gets to middle school, for example, it is over.They are who they are. But just keep throwing money at it, keep testing more and more and keep letting illegal immigrant students take up space and time in our classrooms. We are on a path to ruin and headng toward being a third world country. Ever wonder how we accomplished so much just 30 years ago??? We put men on the moon but it would take an act of God to address the illegal immigrant status. I wonder how the taxopayer's would feel knowing that students come into our school, mainstreamed to regular classrooms not able to speak a word of English. They cannot fail, they must be passed. They have to be in the same classroom with everyone else, if not, that would be discriminatory. Way to go Obama! You are over your head/

February 16, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Teacher

I totally agree with you, Jonathan!

February 16, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike Kennedy

Good for you about speaking your mind. Sorry parents and all you other winers sometimes the truth hurts. Todays kids are nothing but lazy crybabies; they have know idea what honest days work is just try to get them to clean their bedrooms. Mommy and daddy gives them anything they want. The first step a parent can do is take away that stupid cellphone and computer and make them do something productive. Boy you want to see some crying. Parents stand up for once in your life stand on your own two feet and take charge hold yor kids accounable; its to bad this teacher had to tell you the truth. Oh yea I forgot todays kids are sesitive give me a break thats a crock of crap. I congratulate this teacher for speaking her mind quit using her as a scapegoat; PARENTS and OTHERS grow a set of testicles and take charge say no to you kids and quit giving them what they want. Good hard work never hurts

February 16, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • david

I agree with her assessment. And no it's not her job to get throught to these trouble kids. These kids have a responsiblity as students to demonstrate a skill that was supposed to be taught from their parents an in grade school. Which I think is forgotten by the parents who think a teacher is a baby sitter and therapist. I think its a great opprotunity for a broad discussion on student responsibility.

February 16, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

I think Natalie Munroe is correct in her opinion of the kids today, its about time somebody told how the kids of today, act there are kids who are rude, disrespectful, lazy, and they are whiners, and whats more the parents probably know it. The kids of today act like were suppose to give them everything, I dont know about you but I work for everything, nobody gives me nothing for free, some kids are spoiled rotten, If the(kids) of today want something they can earn it.

February 16, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. RUFFNUTT

it's funny that you can even say the word s-p-a-n-k. so much for the first adminment

February 16, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • LEB

You mean First Amendment?

February 17, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. J

I have to agree with her to some extent. In this country where everyone is required to get an education, few students take it as seriously as they should. In countries where an education is not a guarantee people take it more seriously. What bothers me most about the educational system in the U.S. is the lack of accountability on the part of parents and students. The teacher is just one part of the equation. It really sets students up when they get to college, because in college no one blames the professor for the failures of the students. The sooner students learn to take responsibility for their education the better.

February 16, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • jreddog1

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. Any person who has commented negatively on her blog in regards to her discussing "lazy, whiny" students is most likely one themselves, a parent of one of them, or they are in no way connected to the youth culture that is present today.

I AM a teacher and my wife is a teacher, many of my friends are teachers – do you know what we discuss when we need to vent our frustrations about our jobs? Whiny, lazy students and parents who are so disengaged that they think cursing out the teacher for your child's failure is an effective way to solve anything. Being a teacher is hard. Harder than anyone not connected with education can ever imagine.

February 16, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

You don't need to be a teacher to know that a lot of what she says is true. I have numerous friends in the teaching profession, and almost all of them have experiences with terrible students, and a system that just doesn't work well anymore. It just takes one bad apple, with a parent that likes to blame the teacher for their childs behavior to destroy a classes ability to work. A student causes continuous disruptions, gets sent to the office, and the parent complains that their child is being picked on by the teacher, and threatens litigation. These individuals may be rare, but they exist, and they can make the best teacher miserable, with little recourse.

February 16, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Amy

She has a right to freedom of speech, provided she doesn't identify anyone by name (which would fall under slander, etc).

Besides, these kids probably were whiny, lazy brats. I see their kind every day, and I'm not even a teacher.

February 16, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

the freedom of speech was taken away about a year or two ago.. now we must be pc or get fired..

February 16, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • dmcgrain

it wouldnt even be slander if it was true. and technically, it would be libel. but regardless, it's neither if it's true. it would, however, be a breach of privacy as a teacher (public school, especially) cannot share specifics on their students (clients), as in any other public interaction.

February 16, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erci

It is only slander if its not true...people in this country are starting to believe that anything said about them that they do not like is slander/defamation

February 16, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • jreddog1

Students have repeatedly blogged (or posted on facebook) in a negative manner about their teachers and their right to do so has been upheld by the first amendment (in most cases). Why is this even an issue?

If she has not named names – how can she be accused of breach of privacy?

February 16, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • gucktaree

Check you info on the rights she has?

February 16, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonathan Mitchell

It is only slanderous, reprehensible conduct if her allegations are untrue. Opinions are rarely slander. If i say Suzy is lazy because I have observed her repeatedly fail to complete her assignments, I have not slandered Suzy. Truth is the ultimate defense.

February 16, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Niki

I agree with your statement the most. On the other hand, my father always said, " Everything that is true, does not have to be said". I believe the the issue is not what the teacher said, it's the forum in which is was presented.

February 16, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Angela callahan

Since when don,t we get to complain about work. By the way for anyone who has never been a teacher, you have no idea what that job requires. I suggest that before pontificating about what her job is, try it for a day or two.

February 16, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Babs

Amen, sister.

February 16, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Agree whole-heartedly.

February 16, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

The ONLY way that she should be disciplined would be if she identified the school and/or school district that she is employed by OR mentioned staff/management by name OR mentioned students by name.
      Note the trend, where the school district is identified and students are identified.
      Else, we have the loss of the first amendment, because someone was offended.
      And do we REALLY want that in this country? Were that view to have prevailed 250 years ago, we'd be singing "God save the Queen" today!

February 16, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Upright

As my father told me the world needs ditch diggers as much as it needs any other occupation. Some kids do not get school nor do they want too. There is nothing wrong with someone who does not graduate High School. I think everyone should know basic math and how to read and write. But beyond that it should be up to the individual and not the government or the public.

February 16, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erik

That would be great if the parents & students were on board, but in most cases they would not be. Post a job listing for a ditch digger on Craig's List & see how many of these lazy & disinterested students apply.

February 16, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wendy

I totally agree with you, Upright, we do need ditch diggers, and they may not like to be in school but the other 30 kids in the classroom have a right to be educated and when a lazy whining student is causing the teacher to focus all her efforts on that student that doesn't want to be there, all is lost. Don't forget our paycheck is dependent on whether or not that student passes a state mandated test and whether or not he stays in school or even comes to school. After being in the classroom for 25 years I have had to leave because of the stress. I would rather work at Wal-marts for the same pay.

February 16, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • MikefromWV

"All" students should be held accountable to adhere to the curriculum requirements of a school. If they are not willing to do so, then they should remove themselves from the school so that other, willing students, can work to obtain the education they are being offered. There has been too much grade inflation in public schools, too much fear of failing a student in a course, too much fear of disciplining students for inappropriate behavior. This must change if education in America is to improve.

February 16, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brooke

Then let those kids drop out at an early age so the kids who don't want to dig ditches can learn....

February 16, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • A

There's a huge difference between not doing well in school and RUINING school for everyone else. In many classrooms, there are 3, 5 or 10 kids out of 30 that take up 90% of the teacher's attention. You would not believe how much time is wasted on disciplinary issues or just getting kids to shut up and listen. If you talk to their parents, guess what – they're exactly like their kids and defend them! Teachers put up with a level of disrespect and disregard that is unseen in most other occupations.

February 16, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cindy

The problem is too many kids in this in this country are lacking in basic reading writing and math skills. We have fallen behind the rest of the developed world in most of these subjects because they're too busy texting or otherwise socializing. Even ditch diggers need a decent education otherwise they are barely employable and become dependents of a welfare state, in other words, a burden to society.

February 16, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Erik

The whole McCarthy-era atmosphere that has resulted in teachers losing their jobs because they make these kinds of comments or are photographed toasting a bride and groom with a glass of champagne has to be addressed. Good for her for standing up instead of backing down.

February 16, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Patty

If she wanted the comments to be between her and her friends, she should not have posted them on the internet.

February 16, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BigBill8517

I've always thought that school systems should set up honors schools....schools at each level where students would sign a behavioral code and an academic code. If you don't want to study and behave....don't go, but you won't be around students and teachers interested in education, either.

February 16, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Megan

Luckily, my elementary school had something a lot like this and I can't sing it's praises enough. It was wonderful, and challenging, offered to those of us who's teachers recognized we were ahead of the curve. I credit that early head start to my success in school and college. Unfortunately the school only had enough resources to offer it once a week, but I can't imagine how helpful it could be if it were the whole week.

You really don't have to be a teacher to agree with this woman- as a student who actually wanted to be there, the same whiny, lazy students also took things away from the rest of us.

February 16, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jesterjim

I think she should be able to speak her mind but sadly by being identified she faces potential backlash. Frankly, most kids today suck and have no interest in becoming well manned or educated. Man, I sound like MY parents did when I was a kid but the truth is kids today are angry little animals that beat the 'F'out of each other and post it on Youtube for grins. You think they give a S%$# about school? Serious? Friggin animals. Seens any good assaults at Chucky CHeese lately...look at the parents. They are just as bad.

February 16, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Roger New York, NY

Exactly J. Do you think these kids are little angels at home and then become mouthy jerks at school? The parents should be held accountable. You don't just switch personalities. The kid who says Yes please and No thank you at home is saying the same thing at school. The kid who has no rules or discipline at home is going to mouth off and come unprepared to school. My daughters are polite at home, take their plates to the sink after dinner, and clean their rooms at home. I try to teach them to be good kids, and I hold them accountable at home if they make mistakes. I hope this carries over to school.

February 16, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • momofthree

So nice to see that I am not the only parent who requires manners!!! I agree that most kids today are jerks....Jesterjim...too funny .."I sound like MY parents" LOL!!!! So sad but true..I do recess duty at my girls school...SCARY how these kids behave.....God forbid you correct them, then you have angry momma calling to tell you off for yelling at her "Angel".....cant blame the teacher one bit..allowed to vent..used no names therefore did no wrong....I m told that I am too hard onmy kids by other parents because I too require beds made, dinner plates cleared and laundry put away along the the please/thank you...I guess we are a dying breed!!!

February 16, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tina

I raised four kids and they are raising three (currently). I was a single mom, and rules had to be followed and limits had to be clear, or chaos would have ensued. The way to earn respect is in the way you show it. Teaching good manners is only the beginning of being a good parent. Your kids don't need you as a friend (when they are young) – they need you as a parent. There's plenty of time for being their friend when they've grown up and learned some about the real world for themselves. This woman spoke truths without naming names. She had every right.

February 16, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Steve-O

I'm still trying to figure out how Miss Piggy got to be a teacher?! Lazy?...look in the mirror lady!

February 16, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Tasteless. You seem to be the role model of the type of kids she complains about.

February 16, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimbo

Let me guess, you are a liberal. That is directly out of their playbook- try to disparage the person that has a view different from you. The article had nothing to do with she looks. go read something besides moveon.org before you poat again

February 16, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • ichi

Let me guess, you are a Republican.

February 16, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Margaret Wells

I guess "free speech" is only for right wingers.

February 16, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • mewpudding101

What does being a liberal have to do with anything? There's no reason to be bringing in politics into it. It's like, if you're black or if you're white, I know you'll make this comment. Who cares?

February 17, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

she probally eats to deal with the mean kids..

February 16, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • oakrode

she might, but i prefer a drink when i get off

February 16, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • No-No

No Steve-O, she is expecting a child. Read the article carefully before making your ill-informed comments.

February 16, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Who The Hell Is Steve-O

I bet he's beautiful and not fat

February 16, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • K

If you read the article you'd know she is pregnant, not lazy and fat (as you implied).

February 16, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

She pregnant! Not every women has to be a Paris Hilton pretzel to be beautiful growup RU....

February 16, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sgt Slaughter

she's a lazy lard a$$. nothing more nothing less...

February 17, 2011 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
    • firemunroe

hAhaha! She is a fat *ss - even pre pregnancy. Shoulda joined a gym to blow off all that frustration instead of sitting on her lazy whining butt blogging.

March 1, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • firemunroe

Haha she should have joined a gym instead of blogging! And yep, she was a fatty before pregnancy. Have you noticed Munroe, who refers to students as rat-like, is pig-like?

March 2, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • debra

Her looks have absolutely nothing to do with teaching skills. She has a right to express her opinion – just as you did.
      Even if you are wrong and totally disrespectful. You were probably one of those kind of kids she blogged about. Get over yourself!

February 16, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • mewpudding101

High five!

February 17, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Mandy

DEBRA, she is a Teacher not a TEEN to write comments about her students. What are you talking about? TEACHER is not JUST a person like you or me a Teacher is supposed to give the good example to the kids and not to talk bad about them. of course she has rights to talk about all what she wants, but doing so will of course have consequences as she is a TEACHER not just a person that sits in a BAR. If our President would tell on a TWITTER post 'MOST of you AMERICANS are pathetic, idiots etc" how would you like that? hmm? You would probably say, GET HIM off his chair right? So come one. Many of you here really need to read more about what a TEACHER is supposed to BE!!

February 17, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hamilton Van

@ Steve-O – You are sooo clueless. Just sit in a class for one day and have some clue about what teachers go through. In places like Washington DC and inner cities in general, teachers, especially female teachers are sometimes assaulted and intimidated by students and even worse, student’s parents pitch-in in the intimation and abuses as well. Two of my friends quit teaching because of abuse and even physical assault by students. Some students come from totally dysfunctional homes and dysfunctional parents that heap all sorts of abuses on teachers. One of the reasons America has serious problems with education is because of the large number of dysfunctional families we are dealing with. By the way, family dysfunction and decay has nothing to do with economics, so don’t let excuse makers convince you about these poor students. Poverty has nothing to do with it; it is a cultural and moral decay. There millions of families in developing countries like China, India, Nigeria, Indonesia that do extremely well in school and where teachers are respected and families support schools and teachers instead of under mining them like we do here in America. For sure there are millions of parents and communities, where teachers and schools are considered and treated as part of the community, not undermine like we see in so many urban centers. Moral decay has nothing to do with poverty, so I don’t buy the excuse that these poor students are not responsible for their dysfunctional behavior – they get it from their dysfunctional families.

February 16, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • OMG

@ Hamilton Van --> Well said.

February 16, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • chopsticks

Good post.

February 16, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • cmkc

.......and from these whiny lazy students come our future employees -– not trying to see how much and how well they can do something, but seeing how little they can do and still get by.

February 16, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

I agree with you, if these students were employees at a job giving F performances or effort they would be put on review or sacked. Maybe these employees should be able to blame their co-workers for their lack of performance and be able to get them suspended or fired.

February 16, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mario

Yea right, have you tried to fire someone these days just because they perform badly? Its close to impossible in today's corporate environment. You basically have to kill someone or harass someone before you can be fired these days.

As for this teacher, give her a break, so she went online to complain about her job, who doesn't do that these days?

February 17, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • dennis

What in the world does being a republican have to do with anything? What a closed minded fool!

February 16, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • kasey

You hit the nail on the head. It is lack of respect for the teachers and dysfunctional families. I'm not talking dysfunctional as in divorced. There are plenty of intact dysfunctional families. Not all the problems are with inner city kids, either. I live in an affluent suburb of Dallas, TX, and I see the disrespectful behavior toward authority figures in the schools here all the time.

Basically the issue boils down to this: Kids need to be taught at home that education is important, and that it is not acceptable to behave inappropriately at school. Stop rewarding negative behavior by buying little Chip that BMW (or crack pipe, as the case may be) on his 16th birthday even though he's making Ds in school. Stop going to the school and griping because your kid got the D he deserved and not the A you wanted them to have, forcing the school to force the teacher into upping the grade (this one happened to me personally). We wonder why our kids are stupid, and the stupidity starts at home. Parents need to grow up and be parents. You can be a friend to a certain extent with your child, but you cannot be the kind of parent they need if you avoid the discipline they need because they might get mad at you and kid you off their facebook. They do that, then take their iPhone, iPod touch and computer away. They dont' need them anyway. Make Chip do a little work for that BMW. Make Susie pay for those $150 jeans she has to have. Teach them responsibility and I guarrantee you they'll do better at school.

February 16, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mudkipz - Dysfunctional Families and Their Effect On Education in America

Hamilton, you're absolutely right.

I highly recommend Dr. Mudkipz report on the correlation between dysfunctional families and failiing education.

mudkipz.ws

February 16, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Team Fat Has Found A Winner

Goto at Mudkipz – Dysfunctional Families and Their Effect On Education in America

February 16, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • raphael williams

I have friends that are teachers, non of them launch personal attacks on their kids on public forums or openly argue with them.

When you openly bash your company or product to the public you get fired. When you bash The pro sportsteam, it's city you work or play for , you are gone. Her childish whiny decision to crudely and openly express her grievances exposed her incompetence and immaturity as an educator.

Its never ok to act like how you describe your pupils when you are 30 plus years old with at least one degree from higher education.

February 17, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • m

Looks like you need to get a clue

February 17, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  13. JJS

I have been saying for many years. There nothing wrong with the kids today, but the parents are out of control.

February 16, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • sherrie-berry

steve-o, i bet one of those kids she is addressing in her blog could very well be one of yours!

February 16, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Nate

Kids these days have no morals and no values, and I'm quite sure that in most cases, the parents are to blame. They have no ambition and if things do not go their way, they are quick to put the blame on someone else. They use depression as an excuse for their "hard life" and have even created cultures such as Emo, Scene-Kids, Straight-Edge, etc, to put themselves into groups. Teen suicide is the highest it has ever been. They are growing up in a false reality of video games and MTV. What happened to accountability, self respect, and respect for the fellow person?

February 16, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • DredWulf

It died in the 30's as well as Nazi Germany.

February 16, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • MIke

"It died in the 30's as well as Nazi Germany."

Ummm...

February 16, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tina

Reminds me of Mother Lecture #1: Responsibility AND Accountability ..

February 16, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • LEB

If kids these days are so lacking in ambition, drive, discipline, etc etc, then explain why there are more millionaires in their early 20s than ever before?

February 17, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  15. Danny A. Moose

Certainly, Ms. Munroe ought to be able to speak her mind on her blog. I simply wonder why, with all the antipathy she feels towards her students and their parents, she even wants to continue teaching. It must suck to go to work every day thinking, "Whee! I get to teach a bunch of snot-nosed brats today!"

February 16, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |