Diver apparently killed by sharks
The waters off South Australia are rife with great white sharks.
February 18th, 2011

Diver apparently killed by sharks

A longtime commercial diver apparently was killed by great white sharks Thursday off South Australia.

Peter Clarkson, a well-known abalone expert, was attacked by two sharks as he returned to the surface from a dive, boat captain Howard Rodd told authorities, according to the watersport site Swellnet.

Clarkson reportedly once provided a written testimonial for an electronic device called Shark Shield. However, it was not known whether he was using the device at the time of the attack, and the Shark Shield website had no testimonial with his name on it Friday.

Divers in the shark-filled waters off South Australia often use shark cages, but Clarkson was not in a cage when he was attacked, police Senior Sgt. Mick Walsh told Adelaide Now.

Clarkson was well-liked and respected in the diving community, reports said. He co-wrote a book on cowries, another type of sea snail.

"He was a fitness and health fanatic. He was a bit alternative but he was always a decent bloke," a friend told Adelaide Now.

The abalone trade is a $50 million annual industry in South Australia, according to Adelaide Now. Abalone are large mollusks whose flesh is used in cooking and medicine and whose shells are lined with mother-of-pearl.

Clarkson is the second diving partner Rodd has lost to sharks. In 2000, his boat overturned; he swam eight miles to shore while his companion, Danny Thorpe, clung to the boat, the Australian network ABC reported. The only traces of Thorpe ever found were a shredded life vest and a battered lunchbox.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Australia
  1. Daniel

"Help me, dude!"

February 18, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. John

Shark Sheild, does it work 100% of the time? Nothing is completely full proof, it's a game of chance.

February 18, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mack. local shark

hey, didja hear about the health insurance company called shark shield? Right, medicare's an expensive meal.

February 18, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jock. another local shark

Haw Haw!

February 18, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mack, the original local shark

whatcha laughin at dumhasss?

February 18, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jock, shark etcetra

Somebody said full proof... no wonder I fee-d l-izzy.

February 18, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bartaula

“When a man wants to murder a tiger, he calls it sport; when the tiger wants to murder him, he calls it ferocity” G.B. Shaw
    I wonder if there were too many shark attacks at that time, George would replace Tiger with Shark in his quote.
    Guys, Shark didn’t go to his apartment to kill him, he went to Shark’s home. Does it make sense? I feel sorry for him and his family but what can we do?

February 18, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kristal

any1 that makes fun of a tragedy is a complete moron and saying because man kills sharks for whatever reason that a human death is payback is an idiot animals have been feeding mankind from the very beginning of mankind . get a life u bunch of uneducated bleeding hearts

February 18, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • TGLAZ

Interesting, when is the last time an animal walked up to you and said, "Here, I brought you some food!" ?

Mankind has killed animals to feed themselves sure, but for one to feed you...that would be something. I suggest also that you check your grammar, spelling and sentence structure before you insult another person's intelligence or education. You make a poor case when you contradict yourself.

By the way, you spelled my name wrong...I may just have to go cry now.

February 18, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kristal

tzlax u poor excuse 4 a human '

February 18, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Michael

Especially tragic when the person was one of the few in a world of fat lazy slobs that actually cared about their health and physical fitness.

February 18, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. The Shark

Dear humans, please send more food. Regards, The Shark

February 18, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. observer

If humans would not destroy every part of nature, we investigate, admire, research or touch nature would not be going extinct species by species, rivers, oceans & ecosystems would not be dying and as a result we would have a better flourishing environment.

February 18, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. observer

sorry I for got exploit..destroy/exploit

February 18, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ellen Hunt, PhD

Oh, well. Having been severely injured more than once (but not by sharks) I know that the initial shock just feels like tugs. And then if there's a sudden jolt of insane pain, you go bye-bye for a while. It's far more painful to recover from surgery or survive. My dad told me after a crazy thing that if he ever had to do it again he'd prefer not to survive. I can totally understand.

So RIP. There's way worse ways to die than that. Totally worse ways. He died doing what he loved, he did a lot of what he loved, and nobody lives forever. It's not dishonorable to be some other species din-din.

Now if it was me, I'd have been in a shark cage. But it wasn't and I totally respect everyone's right to take any darn risk with their own life that they want. Being always worried about surviving is boring and a waste of life.

So live everybody. I'm going to buy a round of beers tonight for Peter Clarkson.

February 18, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meggie

Excellent post.You've said what I wanted to say, but you've said with style.

February 18, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Xasthur

I'm gonna start putting , PhD next to my name too so people will read it.

February 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jon

God you people keep on posting this cruel comments just stop. it's not funny. It's every story with you people, you gotta criticize everything don't you? Don't start posting this stupid stuff just cause you think it's funny. It's really not.

February 18, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |