Diver apparently killed by sharks
The waters off South Australia are rife with great white sharks.
February 18th, 2011

Diver apparently killed by sharks

A longtime commercial diver apparently was killed by great white sharks Thursday off South Australia.

Peter Clarkson, a well-known abalone expert, was attacked by two sharks as he returned to the surface from a dive, boat captain Howard Rodd told authorities, according to the watersport site Swellnet.

Clarkson reportedly once provided a written testimonial for an electronic device called Shark Shield. However, it was not known whether he was using the device at the time of the attack, and the Shark Shield website had no testimonial with his name on it Friday.

Divers in the shark-filled waters off South Australia often use shark cages, but Clarkson was not in a cage when he was attacked, police Senior Sgt. Mick Walsh told Adelaide Now.

Clarkson was well-liked and respected in the diving community, reports said. He co-wrote a book on cowries, another type of sea snail.

"He was a fitness and health fanatic. He was a bit alternative but he was always a decent bloke," a friend told Adelaide Now.

The abalone trade is a $50 million annual industry in South Australia, according to Adelaide Now. Abalone are large mollusks whose flesh is used in cooking and medicine and whose shells are lined with mother-of-pearl.

Clarkson is the second diving partner Rodd has lost to sharks. In 2000, his boat overturned; he swam eight miles to shore while his companion, Danny Thorpe, clung to the boat, the Australian network ABC reported. The only traces of Thorpe ever found were a shredded life vest and a battered lunchbox.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Australia
  1. Bob

I hear that a good electrical stimulus makes sharks hungry? we will have to spend a million dollars researching this? or just read the story

February 18, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Meggie

I'm saddened that this man lost his life, but at least he lived it! It sounds as though he had a fabulous life with great friends, a courageous spirit, fantastic scenery, amazing adventures, and a bad but quick death. All in all, he seems someone to envy.

February 18, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chevy14

maybe the sharks have nothing else to eat and are starving because people are over-fishing their waters leaving no prey fish.

February 18, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. surfsflatfish

man goes swimming in ocean, man gets eaten by shark, man dies. Sucks for him, his friends and family. But let me remind you. man goes swimming in ocean, man gets eaten by shark, man dies.

February 18, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sharky

mmmmm taste like chiken..

February 18, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Shark Hater

I would selfishly upset the balance of nature by killing every AGGRESSIVE type of man-eating shark in the world. Not basking sharks, nurse sharks, etc., only the ones known to attack man. Just think how much more fish there would be for more important animals, like humans.

Ahhh, what a wonderful dream!

February 18, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • OB

Important?! The number one invasive and most destructive species in the world is mankind!

February 18, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Weird Diver

Weird is the captain Rodd the same man claiming on this website AKA Rod Hartley – Director, Shark Shield. http://sharkshield.com/?/m/testimonials
      If so This has left me wondering????
      If shark shield really can save anyone. Shell diver believes that he was wearing a shark shield. Obviously capt would not confirm if he was if he was the director of shark shield. If I was a capt. dropping someone in a infested shark area, It would at least cross my mind if he was taking anything to protect himself.
      Question Should I ????
      A. Should I dive with a shark shield and be a meal with a +700$ worth of equipment
      B. Should I pay 60$ and go see a great white at an aquarium
      C. Dive in a cage and see them up close.

IF YOU ANWSER A YOU ARE A MORON!!!! I WOULD NEVER EVER PLACE MY LIFE ON A SHARK SHIELD NO MATTER HOW MUCH ITS WORTH OR WHAT IT PROMISES AND DIVE IN A SHARK INFESTED OCEAN!!!!! AT LEAST HE ENJOY HIS LIFE LIKE ALL MORON.

April 30, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Weird Diver

LESS SHARK MORE FISH 4 ME!!!!!!!

April 30, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. cicigreen

how to protect ourselves from this...
    but maybe we deserve that
    try sisizhao+com or cicelyzhao+com

February 18, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. IJB

Those who feel this is a "Darwinian thinning of the herd" are sad, sorry souls. A commercial fisherman lost his life in the pursuit of his living. Occupations carry varying degrees of hazards, in this case, being eaten by a sea monster.
    The cold, timid, cowardly fools who choose to comment in this fashion are only exposing their lack of humanity. You simpletons.
    Rest in Peace Clarkson.

February 18, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ijreilly

I wish I felt worse about this guy losing his life, BUT,in all honesty, I really don't. You go diving in one of the most notorious places in the world for having great white sharks, without a cage, and then I'm supposed to feel bad when he's eaten by, go figure, a great white shark. Sorry, but the only person who caused that guys death was that guy. The shark didn't see a human being with a family and career. He saw a dumb animal bobbing around in his turf around lunch time.

February 18, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. pseudobliss

ok guys...I'm on the other side of the world and it is very clear to me from all the news about this sort of activity in Aussie land...STAY THE H@!! out of the water! That place is dag gum crazy! Crocks in the rivers! big mean rays killing people..sharks using people as niblets! Stay on shore and fish!

February 18, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. William_Longfellows

"Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water. Our shark." "Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again." – Quint

February 18, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brody

Show me the way to go home (bum bum bum) I'm tired and I want to go to bed (rat tat tat tat)...

March 8, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Hi

Shark Shield......60 percent of the time, it works everytime....

February 18, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jesus Christ

Why couldn't this dunce stay in purgatory?

February 18, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mmmmm

Shark placing an order:

I want the diver wrapped and uh gimme a side of order raw abalons will ya! I hear the food from the locals are great.,.

February 18, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. gina bonbon

daaang!! shark even got the dude's lunch. that's just rude!

February 18, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |