Stepmom indicted in N.C. girl's death
February 21st, 2011

Stepmom indicted in N.C. girl's death

Elisa Baker, the stepmother of 10-year-old Zahra Baker, was indicted Monday on second-degree murder charges in the girl's death, a Catawba County, North Carolina, court clerk told CNN.

The family made international news late last year after the freckled-faced young girl went missing from their home in Hickory, North Carolina.

The girl lost part of her left leg at age 5 and lost hearing in both ears while being treated for cancer.

Police found Zahra's remains on November 11, just over a month after she was reported missing.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • U.S.
  1. FreeYourMind

(Correction in capitals)
    The words of Jesus: "But whoso shall hurt one of these little ones which believe in me, it would be better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea...woe unto the world because of offenses, for it must be that offenses come, but WOE to that man (or woman) by whom the offense comes...take heed that you despise not one of these little ones, for I say unto you, that in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father who is in heaven...it is not the will of your Father in heaven that one of these little ones should perish." Matthew 18

February 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. RUFFNUTT

SAD... maybe we will get lucky and the mom will have an accident..

February 21, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Debbie

I pray for justice for this poor little angel. I am still in shock no charges have been brought against the father. In the very least, child neglect seems appropriate. He admitting to knowing about the abuse and did nothing to prevent it. Mothers are being charged now, rightfully so, and this "fatther" needs to be too.

February 21, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. RUFFNUTT

anyone notice the mom looks like the evil witch from snow white..

February 21, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Eric B

I cannot see any parent hurting their child, even if they're step children, enough to cause death without some sort of mental defect being involved. I don't even have children, just nieces and nephews, and if I even think about hurting them I get nauseated. After speaking with my dad after that Texas mother drowned her children he expressed to me how no one could do that to their children without being COMPLETELY insane. As in, not having an ounce of sanity to them.

February 21, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

I really hate the fact that there are people on Earth who are so self-absorbed that they would think a child's life has so little value that, if they are an inconvenience, they just do away with them. Worse still are the ones who deliberately hurt kids for fun or s-gratification. I don't think every one of them are insane....sick, certainly, but not insane...but *all* should be prosecuted and punished as severely as possible under the current laws. And yes, some of the laws need to be changed to reflect the severity of what is being done to these poor children. I just regret that sometimes these useless beings are still sharing the air decent humans breathe...

February 21, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ThomasD

@banasy. Couldn't agree more. As most parents would agree, I would die a horrific death if it meant my childrens safety. From that mindset it is unimaginable this cold, heartless treatment of children we read about so often these days. But it seems a sickness that is spreading.

February 21, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ava

Harming a child is the worst imaginable thing that a person can do. What makes this story particularly disturbing is the fact that this little girl had overcome so many obstacles in her short life & really fought so hard just to be able to live. For people who she depended on & trusted to take care of her, to do this, is unfathomable & physically sickening. People who hurt or kill children should just be killed themselves & put out of their misery, instead of spreading it around, victimizing others. They contribute nothing to society except evil.

February 22, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  9. angel

death penalty for that bi**h

February 22, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  10. Field reporter/correspondent

This just in ; banasy is a Hermaphadite / breaking news flash.com

February 22, 2011 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  11. Field reporter/correspondent

This just in : banasy is a Hermaphadite / breaking news flash.com

February 22, 2011 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  12. RMS

Every time I see this little girls face I feel unimaginable pain and sorrow for a little girl who could have taught us so much. Why is it that I can feel so much hurt for a child I have never met and yet her "parents' threw her away like trash. I really hope to understand this one day.

February 22, 2011 at 5:25 am | Report abuse |
  13. ed bailey

Mike, I feel sorry for you. Being open minded and not doing a rush to judge is one thing.come live in Utah, you will either fit right in or grow up.

February 22, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |