Stepmom indicted in N.C. girl's death
February 21st, 2011

Stepmom indicted in N.C. girl's death

Elisa Baker, the stepmother of 10-year-old Zahra Baker, was indicted Monday on second-degree murder charges in the girl's death, a Catawba County, North Carolina, court clerk told CNN.

The family made international news late last year after the freckled-faced young girl went missing from their home in Hickory, North Carolina.

The girl lost part of her left leg at age 5 and lost hearing in both ears while being treated for cancer.

Police found Zahra's remains on November 11, just over a month after she was reported missing.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • U.S.
  1. Amy

I hope justice will be served.

I am still feel alot of sadness from reading and hearing the story over and over again.

R.I.P Zahra (aka: Earth's Angel)

February 21, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • buffy420

Sad thing is most likely they will rot in jail. They will have three square meals, excersize and solcialization with the other inmates. They do not deserve to live and I sure as HECK do not want to have to pay for their upkeep with my taxes.

February 21, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

I really feel she wont even go to Prison for what she did to this Angel. She was charged with second degree Murder because The DA (J. Gaither) made a deal with Elisa and her attourney (Lisa Dubbs) not to give her daeth for her to tell them where the Body was. Most of her parts were put in trash bags and threw them in dumpsters around the area.. I live in the area, and although I did'nt know Zahra, I have shed many tears for her. For two weeks, Adam Baker claims he knew nothing. I believe he helped her. Our DA has never won a murder case and I feel he wont win this one either. I raised three (2 girls & 1 Boy) by myself and I WOULD have known if somthing wasn't right with one of mine. I have been to her memorials and vigils and feel that I now know Zahra. Every photo and video, she's smiling. After the charges were read, I said I was going to stop thinking about it, but it wont happen. I still cry everytime I see her face. She is on my mind every night before I go to sleep. I have read many articles on it in Austrailia. Her Biological mom is not what she seems. When she was here she joked and laughed about starbucks and Bojangles. She never went to the area where Zahra's remains were found. She spent the night with Neighbors of the Bakers. She laughed and Joked about her sleepover. She told on an earlier newsreel that she didnt know Zahra or want her. She had two more. She was on Drugs before and after Zahra was born. She never inquired of the Bakers in Austrailia as to where Zahra was. She told all of this in Comments with other posters. They have released Adam to leave the state. We ALL KNOW this Evil Witch did not Butcher this Child by herself without him knowing what was going on. No, I am so afraid these people are going to get by with killing this Angel. My Nephew works with Elisa's other Daughter, and they dont know exactly what is going on. "Rick"

February 27, 2011 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mike, TX

There must be a special Hell for people who harm and kill innocent children.

February 21, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Yeah, it is called Hell. There isn't a different Hell for pickpocketers as opposed to murderers.

February 21, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • NYPrincessTt

Chris- you go to hell for pick pocketing? But not if you are heartily sorry for it, right? Boy, this whole God loves everyone/ God hates pick pocketers as much as child murderers is sure confusing!

February 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • FreeYourMind

The words of Jesus: "But whoso shall hurt one of these little ones which believe in me, it would be better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea...woe unto the world because of offenses, for it must be that offenses come, but who to that man (or woman) by whom the offense comes...take heed that you despise not one of these little ones, for I say unto you, that in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father who is in heaven...it is not the will of your Father in heaven that one of these little ones should perish." Matthew 18

February 21, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • JesusFreaksInJeansAndSneaks

pick pockets and pray to jesus!

February 21, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • WhatsInaName

In the gospel of Thomas (vetoed from the Bible for obvious reasons), Jesus himself kills children:

"3 The son of Annas the scholar, standing there with Jesus, took a willow branch and drained the water Jesus had collected. (2)Jesus, however, saw what had happened and became angry, saying to him, 'Damn you, you irreverent fool! What harm did the ponds of water do to you? From this moment you, too, will dry up like a tree, and you’ll never produce leaves or root or bear fruit.' (3) In an instant the boy had completely withered away. Then Jesus departed and left for the house of Joseph."

February 21, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Loretta

This woman and her husband should both be given the worst punishment permitted by law for what they did to this little girl. The horror the child went through must have been unimaginable.

February 21, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Betty Phillips

I pray that Zahra is resting in the loving arms of Jesus. Lets have no doubts that the good Lord will make sure that the Stepmom and father will spend the rest of their lives paying for the horrific crimes they have done to one of Gods little Angels. Shed no tears for Zahra, she is at peace, which we know she never had on this earth. Remember her smile and the little bible saying "Jesus loves the little children. God bless Zahra..... Betty

February 21, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. KATHY TN

what about dad? Lock him up too... this was a horrific story... haunting !!

February 21, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SmarteeC

Wow, I hope this is justified and that that woman goes to prison for LIFE!!! I cant imagine anything happening to my little ladies:/

February 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. LH

It is so sad..I agree with Amy, this story just rips your heart out every time you read it. The cruelty of people. Now she will not have to endure such cruelty and pain. I still wonder where was Dad and what was his involvement..As a parent, you can sense if someone is hurting your child. For Zahra's sake, I hope justice is served. RIP little one.

February 21, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Marcia

I can't beleive that law enforcement did not charge the father with the same thing! He was living there and HAD to know something about his daughter. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE

February 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joan

It certainly took long enough for some justice to be brought to this poor child's death. This has just made me sick, the way this whole child's life went down. I know she is now in eternal happiness and finally able to laugh and play. There is just not enough punishment for the horrible crime that was done!

February 21, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mike

We don't know that she was murdered, she had cancer, it could have been been a "natural" death, so don't rush to judgement. If it turns out they did kill Zahra, then burn them at the steak or something suitable, but lets not convict them before the trial.

February 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • NYPrincessTt

"If it turns out they did kill Zahra, then burn them at the steak or something suitable..."

"Steak" is too good for these baby killers. They should eat green balogna until they die. Let's burn them at the "STAKE" instead, if that's okay with you!

February 21, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Zeta

Dang, Chris, why are you such a d!ck?

February 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dan Robinson

There are countless homes where infertile couples would give anything they had to love and let this little girl be part of their family. What a tragedy.

February 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy

Maybe it took this long to build up a case against the stepmother...rushing to arrest someone without evidence to take to trial means risking that the person charged with the crime may go free because of the lack of it (whether that person charged is actually guilty of it or not.)

In any case, that little girl went through so much in her short life. May she be at peace now!

February 21, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Nette/ca.

GOD looks out for babies, pets, and fools. I'd be one any day! You just don't mess with His! ......Don't cry....When the LORD saw her, His heart went out to her and HE said, " Don't cry"....Luke 7:13

February 21, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. melissa

Finally. It is good to know what we all have known all along. Justice will finally be served for Zahra. I hope that stepmom and I use the term "mom" very loosely, spends the rest of her life in prison. She deserves so much worse. Maybe in prison she will receive on a daily basis, from other inmates, the penelty for hurting a child that had already been through so much at her young age. She needs to be reminded everyday that what she did was unforgivable. There is no punishment great enough for what she has done. I know in the end she will meet with what she deserves, and spend the rest of eternity paying for it.

February 21, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |