Wednesday's intriguing people
Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels is keeping the rhetoric civil.
February 23rd, 2011

Wednesday's intriguing people

Mitch Daniels

Although he does want to limit labor unions' influence, Indiana's Republican governor has not taken the hard line of his colleagues in Wisconsin, Ohio and Michigan.

Daniels has told GOP members in Indiana's General Assembly that they need not push a bill to ban forcing non-union workers to pay dues in union shops.

And when Indiana's Democratic senators, like their Wisconsin counterparts, fled the state to avoid a vote on it, he didn't rip them in the media. He said the tactic was "a perfectly legitimate part of the process," according to the Indianapolis Star.

"Even the smallest minority has every right to express the strength of its views - and I salute those who did," he said.

David Fields

For almost 28 years, the tax commissioner of Cherokee County, Georgia, loved his job - until his doctor told him it would kill him.

The 62-year-old resigned this month due to insomnia, acid reflux and crippling depression brought on by the stress of foreclosing on homes.

"I was foreclosing on the homes of people I have known my entire life," he told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Monday.

Fields oversaw the foreclosure of nearly 100,000 homes in 2010 alone in the foothills north of Atlanta.

"I would talk to somebody or deal with something, a foreclosure or a lien, and I would just have to step out of the office to regain my composure," he said.

"I'm pretty tenderhearted," he added. "I guess I just wasn't crusty enough."

Chip Gamble

Gamble is a firefighter with the Los Angeles County Fire Department Search and Rescue unit. He is among more than 70 Californians now in Christchurch, New Zealand, trying to save people trapped after this week's magnitude 6.3 earthquake.

The unit has extensive experience in rescue and recovery - Haiti, Hurricane Katrina and 9/11, to name a few instances.

"To be able to take this mission to an international country, that's something special," Gamble told CNN affiliate KTLA.

1. King abdulla rules you

king of kings and his princes rule. Any doubts about that? The cheny quadaffi was a poor second fiddle. All bow down..tea baggers..internet vaporware liberals. Drive and spread the driving freedoms as we are loyal to the kings of trickle up and trickle down. Hail to the king abdulla of western freedoms for all. We are the future of the young and talented drivers of freedom.

February 23, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mexico is a free country

looks like freedom is irritating to many americans. Remember ReaganGorbechov..."tear down your wall" amnesia and senility are the hallmarks of kings. More freedom anyone? King abdulla is surely the winner.

February 23, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. queen amadala

Shut up, morons! I command you to shut up!

February 23, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. princess jasmine

The Queen has spoken. Be quiet, or face the wrath of the mighty, mighty bosstones!

February 23, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rahmbo

Listen up you blak motherfukkers Rahm is coming to town and he hates your azz so prepare to go back to slave time

February 23, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

you better watch out...
      you better not cry..
      you better not pout im telling you why..
      rahmbo is comming to town...

he makeing a list..
      checking it twice..

February 23, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

Yep, Daniels is back-pedalling now that he is seeing how Wisconsin is turning out. Keep in mind that Daniels' name is being bandied about as a possible GOP POTUS candidate; he's not going to do anything too crazy. I applaud that he has backed down re: collective bargaining, but I wonder just how sincere he really is!

February 23, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mmmmm

mitch daniels is an egg head. you should remove a section of your cranium to relieve some of the stupidity building up in your brain...maybe then you can get some relief from the duh-zone

February 23, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. cindyrichter123

If you are planning a mortgage refinance then you should search online for 123 mortgage refinance before you decide they found 3.25% refinance with bad credit history and also did instant analysis of my mortgage.

February 24, 2011 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  9. Cesar

Never new bankers could become stressfully ill foreclosing homes. This is news to me.

February 24, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dodie

I find Mitch Daniel's approach refreshing. We don't all have to agree on everything. This article makes me want to read more...

March 22, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Float friend

Anyone whose known chip for half their life like I have knows that he is an awesome human being . Saving people is what drives him. Chip – I'm so proud of you!

March 25, 2011 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
  12. Bill Best

We had dinner in Santa Cruz at Bankok West a few months ago. I didn't realize then that I was rubbing shoulders with such a Humanitarian. I've had fun keeping up with you or trying to these past couple of months through your very proud mom. Congratulations on all your well deserved success!

April 2, 2011 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |