3 children dead, 1 missing after being swept away in Kentucky creek
The bodies of three of four children who were swept away in a creek were recovered, authorities said.
February 25th, 2011

3 children dead, 1 missing after being swept away in Kentucky creek

The bodies of three of four children who were swept away in a creek swollen by storm waters were recovered early Friday morning, authorities in Kentucky said.

The children were traveling with their family in a horse-drawn carriage on a flooded street in Graves County when the carriage flipped over Thursday evening, said Jerry Beasley, a Kentucky State Police spokesman.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Kentucky
  1. Charlotte Morris

We live in North West TN about 40 miles south of where these Amish families live. We had a total 5/12 inches of rain yesterday and tornado warnings around the time all of this happened. Not only the rain but we had very strong straight line winds as the storm went through about the time the accident happened. It is hard for a car to stay on the road in those conditions. We had TV and Radio warnings, but we do not have tornado sirens here in the country. These Amish families do not have any warning or headlights on their buggies. They have lanterns. If they were going home and got caught up in the storm, they were not to blame. It can be clear and turn to stormy with out notice here in our part of the country. The storm came up fast. We have been to the houses of these Amish families around Mayfield, KY. They are very nice people. They do not have lights and electricity. They are hard workers and love their families and the Lord. I pray for tis family. The road they were on was a very rural country road. We have not had any rain to measure in a long time. Then you get this much rain in one day. There was water running in ditches and creeks where it had been dry for months. All we need to do is pray for this family and the Lord will be with us all.

February 25, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. mohamad

Just me you stupid american infidel you don't care about our women and children that is why everybody hates america

February 25, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. mohamad

Your planes bomb our people everyday you motherfukker

February 25, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. Al asani

Tami why don't you suk my dik so I can fuk your mother

February 25, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Al asani

Zeta you stupid motherfukker you think everybody should be the way you or you stupid americans are,respect other peoples beliefs you btch

February 25, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Al asani

Hope you all die and go to fukkin hell were the Fukkin Devil is going to fukk your brains

February 25, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Al asani

Pablo, te quieres casar conmigo?

February 25, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Uhhhhh

Uhhhhh, Al asholi, that's what Zeta was doing.

February 25, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. roni

It is disturbing to read these vile and veomous comments regarding the deaths of children. Comments for the most part by people raised in the greatest, most prosperous county in the world where they have been afforded freedom, opportunities which apparently has created small minds and hateful hearts. Btw, we hear of people driving vehicles into flooded areas all the time and these are folks who have benefit of weather alerts. Tragedy doest discriminate. I hope some that posted comments here keep that in mind.

February 25, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. raven

Well actually zeta,the natives didnt believe in ownership of land per se.they had traditional hunting grounds and out of mutual respect stayed out of each others way,unless they were at war with each other.white men came and PUT them on reservations .

February 26, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. raven

And the land they put em on was usually in the crappiest most barren regions that no one could turn a profit on .

February 26, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Zeta

I know all that, raven. The European settlers and the United States in general have treated NA very shabbily. I was just merely trying to explain the Amish, which is what the article was about.
    Undoubtably, NA have been treated worse than dogs; they certainly do not deserve the plight and the prejudice that they have. That being said, my post wasn't about NA's at all; it was trying to explain the Amish way of life. Period.

February 26, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. raven

Well,after re-reading, I see you arent the one who brought it up. In the spirit of peaceful blogging, I apologise. Period.

February 26, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Zeta

Apology accepted. Period. 🙂

(I use the period thing as others use "that's all". I probably shouldn't use it; it looks a little arrogant, which I am soooooo not! 😉 )

February 26, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ed bailey

I have the deepest sympathy for the families and none for the stupid bigmouths out there. I have been in two tornadoes in Alabama, one each in sout Chicago and new Mexico! I recognized the sound in new Mexico and screamed at evertbody to get to an interior room. I took two steps before it struck us a glancing blow. The couple of seconds warning was all we had. We were very lucky, the empty building next door was splintered into toothpicks. Nature is not something we shouldtake lightly. A woman did what she thought was right and children died. I hope she does well.

February 27, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |