February 28th, 2011

4.7-magnitude earthquake hits central Arkansas

A 4.7-magnitude earthquake struck central Arkansas just after 11 p.m. Sunday (12 a.m. ET Monday), the United States Geological Survey said.

There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

The quake's epicenter was 37 miles from Little Rock, Arkansas, USGS said.

CNN affiliate KARK received calls from a number of viewers who reported feeling the impact of the quake and seeing items on their walls shake.

More than 700 quakes have hit central Arkansas since September.

Why is Arkansas having so many quakes? Scott M. Ausbrooks of the Arkansas Geological Survey tells KARK's Gary Dee the latest quakes are on a previously unknown fault.

Post by:
Filed under: Arkansas • U.S.
  1. Tiss

My bed started shaking at 11:06pm last night and I didn't know what was happening and I'm in Tulsa, OK!

February 28, 2011 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. Protector

It's a terrible thing to think what may happen in many different ways. We have insurance on our cars that most of the time goes unused. Life insurance, god forbid our family may need that. I guess ther is nothing wrong with stocking up on all types of provisions should our supply chain go down. Sure hope that never happens either, I'll call preparedness steps toward life "assurance."

February 28, 2011 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. NHBOB

Great! I can't win the stinking lottery but I get to part of the rapture??? Thanks Jeezus!

February 28, 2011 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
    • AnaHadWolves

As I understand Jehovah's Witnesses, there are only 144,000 slots for the rapture, so, your place is not assured. You may be stuck. Oh, and as for the lottery? Try 12-16-17-38-39. God told me they'd be a winning combo. 🙂

February 28, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Mic4life

The 144,000 are the selected few that go to heaven and rule as kings and priests (Revelation Chpt 7). The remaining people how are not part of the "little flock", and survive Armaggedon, are the "great crowd" which no one can number (Revelation 7:9) and they will have the opportunity to live forever in a perfect world in perfect health. That is the ultimate reward for everyone else not part of the 144,000. There is no "rapture".

February 28, 2011 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Buzz

Health care problem solved.

February 28, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. Thinking7

If you check out geo-changereport.org you will see the earthquake, volcanic activity, and tsunami trend charts. Well recognized universities and research facilities from all over the world are part of this group. From the way it has been going, we're in for some big stuff. After you take a look at that, do a search for Divine Mercy Message and read about it. Then, research the three days of darkness. The signs are here. Those who choose to look at these sites with an open mind will be better prepared.

February 28, 2011 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Thinking7

Also, if you are still interested in researching, check out the New Madrid Fault line, which is in the mid U.S.

February 28, 2011 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. trixen

I wonder how many trailers were affected.

February 28, 2011 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. Brett

STOP THE FREAKING DRILLING! I KNOW THAT IT PROVIDES A LOT OF PEOPLE WITH JOBS, BUT IT'S GOING TO PROVIDE A LOT OF PEOPLE WITH SORROW IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

February 28, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Thinking7

It's true – we've really messed up with the drilling. That sea floor is about to collapse.

February 28, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  7. djd007

Funny how the 4.7 got reported by the news but the other 6 earthquakes Arkansas had over the past 2 weeks didn't. First quake was on the 16th and was a 4.1.

February 28, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  8. Khadijah

So are they Fraking in that area? (Pumping water into old oil wells at very high presure to force the oil out) It is highly suspected to have caused earthquakes East of Oklahoma City. Or is this just more from the New Madrid Fault Zone? I wouldn't get too worried, we all die some time.

February 28, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  9. ArkansasSUCKS

Ya I went in a Walmart in Arkansas on a Friday night and it was crowded people were like going there on a social trip i found that a telling look into the culture of Arkansas...

February 28, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Overby

What a moron....there are WalMarts in every state and they are all crowded, what a stupid thing to base an opinion...what does a crowded Walmart have to do with earthquakes? Is your real name Charlie Sheen? Can't be, even he makes more sense than that.....

February 28, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • jj

lmfao first I must say arkansasians hahahahahahah that is funny just arkansan sf, ca. and to arkansas sucks, keep it up we actually like when fools talk down about arkansas because it keeps the masses out. Little Rock has about 180000 people. less is more. our state is prestine and beautifull. so keep on stereotyping cause it keeps the dousche bags like you out.

February 28, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • trvlr

Just a few weeks ago I was in a Walmart in California...on a Saturday night...guess what...it was packed....YOU IDIOT....I have also been to Little Rock and Conway in Central Arkansas and found it to be a very nice...Nice homes, and more BMW s and Range Rovers then I saw in Beverly HIlls...

February 28, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  10. rick a

in the bible god asks the question who set the foundations of the earth? he is in control people your mind is like a parachute it dont work unless its open having said that dont be surprised when he returns if he is riding in a flying saucer

February 28, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  11. Arkie

It shook my house and I live in North Central Arkansas.

February 28, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  12. anita

Since were all talking about the "end times" let me educate christians and non Christians. . when Jesus said "you do not know the day nor the hour" He was talking about when the Romans came in and conquered their Jewish Territory. I would know, i did an exegesis on it. So, there is No such thing as the rapture but Jesus will come back just not like how every pastor likes to preach. You all got it wrong.

February 28, 2011 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
    • JOHN

There are so many myths associated with the story of Jesus as well as the bible itself. Jesus probably lived, taught values and passed away. No walking on water, curing the blind, water in to wine, son of a God, etc....

February 28, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Servant

ANITA behold it has been writen God will rapture his church, last chapter revelation he promises his people Because thou hast kept my word of my patience. I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation which shall come upon all the world to try them who dwell that dwell upon the earth. ch 3 :10 Remember therefore how thou hast receieved and heard, and hold fast and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch I will come on thee as a thief and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee chapter 3 ;3

February 28, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. Froog

Seems like every area that had mass die offs of bird/fish were followed up with an Earthquake. If this holds true, that would mean NorCal is set to have one.

February 28, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
    • CitizenDavid

Baltimore, too, since the Ravens bit the dust in January.

February 28, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. Peace Love of God

As a visiting Bishop from Ghana once said,"Everybody wants to go to heaven. Nobody wants to die to get there." I feel sorrow for you non-believers. Since you have refused to claim God where will your souls go upon the end? You will still feel very much alive, just no physical body. So you will be aware of what happens next. BETTER GET SAVED WHILE YOU CAN!! Or at least recognize that God exists and pray for mercy. Even us Christians! (Especially the ones who have been mislead by the devil into being mean spirited and unkind, unloving souls. May God bless all of you. And whatever happens, may you be at peace.

February 28, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • JOHN

Saved from what? I believe in the facts of evolution and i'm still a good person. I'm good because I want to be, not because a particular religion tells me to or better yet... tries to scare you in to being good.

February 28, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  15. stupid

blah blah blah blah christians suck stfu

February 28, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |