February 28th, 2011

4.7-magnitude earthquake hits central Arkansas

A 4.7-magnitude earthquake struck central Arkansas just after 11 p.m. Sunday (12 a.m. ET Monday), the United States Geological Survey said.

There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

The quake's epicenter was 37 miles from Little Rock, Arkansas, USGS said.

CNN affiliate KARK received calls from a number of viewers who reported feeling the impact of the quake and seeing items on their walls shake.

More than 700 quakes have hit central Arkansas since September.

Why is Arkansas having so many quakes? Scott M. Ausbrooks of the Arkansas Geological Survey tells KARK's Gary Dee the latest quakes are on a previously unknown fault.

Post by:
Filed under: Arkansas • U.S.
  1. banasy

To anyone who would like to fukk just post your name, I'm banasy the bloghorr, I'm very cheap but I need the money so pls fukk me

February 28, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. The Sun

Wake up people. The more and larger solar flares. The bigger and more frequent earthquakes we will have. Notice how after they always post a story about a huge solar flare within days they will have some huge earthquakes.

February 28, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. Wolfgang187

This is the preamble to Yellowstone national park being blasted into orbit and the super-volcano reshaping the planet. So... hopefully we can get 1 more football season in before the extinction event. GO PACK GO!

February 28, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. Peace Love of God

Yes I know, you have been made to feel inferior and you resent that. Ignore the proud arrogant religious folks who look down at anyone not like them. Who treat religion like a bragging trophy, yet show no love and kindness toward others. If one is wise enough to have devoted themselves to their Faith, then they must see that they should teach others with kindness and compassion, rather than be judgemental and mean. You must find a way to come to terms with God before your time is up even if it means to sit quietly by yourself and pray for enlightenment and understanding. Try it!

February 28, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. Servant

Oh My Lord thy God, your light has shined on my soul, able to scorch the unseen in dark places, I shall harken to your commands to Love thy self and others and to forgive others debts. Behold the KING of kings, woe to those who think Not, behold the creator of all heaven and Earth and all the universe the One who dwells from within. May God bless the USA ! and teachers,union workers,Israel.

February 28, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  6. Servant

JOHN it is not wise to speak blasmephous of the most high.

February 28, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  7. Peace Love of God

JOHN, the reason you need to be saved is so that when you pass into the next life you will be protected from the forces of darkness that may try and claim your soul. Only through love and recognition of. God can you call upon the holy angels to protect you. Evolution will not help you there my good friend. Please take heed! I am glad you are a good person and I do not judge you. I just want you to know that Christ loves you just because you were born and if you don't have enough understanding to call upon him for assistance, then what shall become of you when your time comes? We must all face that someday. I hope all be at peace and joyfulness!

February 28, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. NewMalthus

Is this associated with the New Madrid falt ? It is overdue for a major quake.

February 28, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  9. Steve

The Mississippi River is a pretty big fault line......

February 28, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. Pashathetonk

2012 – here we come! Let me watch the movie again, just to make sure I know the sequence of events..... At least when I go, I can tell myself I knew it was coming.

February 28, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  11. Buzz

I believe there is a major event predicted for around March 15th, in the area of the New Madrid fault. Just saying.

February 28, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  12. realitybites

Seriously, This is called nature which has existed, proven by scientist who have a better idea of the universe around us that those of 2K years ago, long before religion even existed b/c it took humans to concieve the idea of Gods or God. Come one people. If anyone of you knows anything about the forces of nature you'd realize how really insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things. Yes. Life is a MIRICAL b/c the chances of a planet being situated at the right locatiion around a sun to be able to allow it to exist I'm pretty sure may not be common. Then again, we are just beginnig to get an idea of how many planetary systems exist. Sorry to inform you but, the earth and the universe don't really care if the human race actually exists just like they didn't care if any other now extinct lifeforms existed longer than we have. I'm all for the spiritual belief in God and in the bliefe in the spirit but, humans feeling like they are the the only true focus of his attention is still a little midevil in its vanity. The awesome destructive powers of nature make just like knats waiting for the temperature to change and wipe us out. We're special b/c we EXiST, period. That we can thank God for but, as for claiming that the rapture is coming b/c we'be been bad or good is extremely nieve. The earth will not care if we are here anymore when we're gone, Our devine belief that God put us here to inherit her speaks more to our being good shepards of our home which we've trashed like a bunch of spoiled kids @ frat house during a kegger. An ice age is more likely the next big thing to affect us if we don't do something to ourselves first. By the way, we're well overdue for one of those as well as a major quake in the Mississippi Valley. Ice ages are more the norm in Earths natural history than the short, warm, lifegiving reprieves like the one we enjoy today. Pray all you want, Nature is neutral, not good or evil. A 4.2 magnitude earthquake in AR is insignificant to what awaits us or maybe not us but someone or something else. We, as individuals, have more to fear amongst ourselves. My grandparents saw two world wars and major epedemics and lived to tell about it just as their ancestors saws major upheavals in similar fashion in their worlds. It's amazing to think that most of us us are lucky enough to the the relatives of those who escaped the plagues. They were screaming about the end of days too. We live today in testament to their being wrong and the luck they had to survive natures fury. Nothing more. Thank you God for my chance to EXIST however long or short it may be.

February 28, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  13. McTrigger46

Over the past few years, there has been a HUGE increase in the amount of natural gas drilling in the area around and north of Greenbrier. I've been through there and the place looks completely different - there are gas wells EVERYWHERE. You can't tell me that doesn't have anything to do with the insane increase in the amount of earthquakes in that area.

February 28, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  14. goss

Wasn't an earthquake....just the Duggar family having another baby.

February 28, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • shut up already

Wow! Did that use ALL of your brain cells just coming up with that stupid statement. Don't hurt yourself....

March 1, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. KyleXR8

The ignorance of basic earth science shown on these boards is nothing short of breathtaking.

February 28, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Rock

yeah yeah yeah
      Go cook a hot pocket and watch the CNN page for something else you can get book smart on in a hurry...and then move out of your parents house once and for all. No more WoW for you either.

February 28, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |