Girl Scouts booted from cookie corner - founder's historic house
Girl Scouts, seen here near Atlanta, smile despite challenging times during cookie season.
February 28th, 2011

Girl Scouts booted from cookie corner - founder's historic house

It's hard out there for a Girl Scout.

After someone complained about a Savannah, Georgia, troop selling cookies at a busy intersection in town, the city forced the girls to move away from the money-making location, according to the Savannah Morning News. The demand to move broke decades of tradition because that corner - Oglethorpe Avenue and Bull Street - is in front of the historic home of the founder of the Girl Scouts organization, Juliette Low.

Savannah zoning administrator Randolph Scott said the problem was that the girls were setting up their sale table on a public sidewalk, which violates a city ordinance, the Morning News reports. Scott tried to help, calling for a survey in the hopes that the property line near the home had private space. No such luck.

The Scouts are taking it on the chin elsewhere in Georgia and around the country. Recently in Villa Rica, Georgia - about 35 miles west of Atlanta - Girl Scouts were told they could no longer peddle their Thin Mints at a strip mall. (Watch how a cop nearly booted the Scouts from their favorite spot. "He was scaring us," one of the girls said of the officer.)

And in this economy, the governing body of the Girl Scouts in Texas is adjusting sales methods. At least a dozen troops across the country are offering only six varieties of cookies rather than the usual eight, according to KVIA TV in El Paso. The price of Samoas and Tagalongs has gone up in some areas to $4 a box, the station reports. It's still a little too early to tell how well newly introduced cookies - "Thanks-a-Lots" and "Shout Outs!" - will sell or if some troops' use of new eco-friendly boxes will boost sales.

At least one girl has not been deterred from her cookie mission. Lydia Johnson, 7, and her mother, Susanne, of South Florida, have reportedly sold 2,053 boxes this year. "We're like twins," Susanne Johnson said. "People like it, and it is fun."

The Scouts are selling cookies until March 20.

Post by:
Filed under: Girl Scouts
  1. ThomasD

What a disgrace to our nation. Are state and local officials so bored they have to pick on little girls and dictate where they can earn money? The girl scouts is a time honored tradition in our country where young ladies are taught self respect and dignity. The sale of these cookies is one of the few ways they support the organization. Whats next? Maybe run in a few cub scouts for stepping across someones property line while hiking. What sort of bigoted b@stard complains about a group of little girls doing the best they can in this ugly world we adults created for them? Way to go Georgia.

February 28, 2011 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
    • termlimits

If the cookies were any good I'd agree with you!

February 28, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
    • displeased

So it's ok for young ladies to ignore ordinances while everyone else has to comply? What exactly does that teach them?

February 28, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • al

the true disgrace is that adults use kids to sell expensive cookies at a high profit margin so they can make a large income. the true leaders of any scout group are the volunteers but the money all goes to the paid scouts. if this was truely for scouting would thy charge so much for uniforms and bottuns etc. oops another high priced money maker for the highly paid professional scout leader. shame on these organization boy and girl scouts

February 28, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • David Grant

Let me get this straight. You think that because YOU agree with the group's aims they should be allowed to break the law. Exactly how does this teach good citizenship?

February 28, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • gale

When you are right, you are right. How disgusting to do something like this to a bunch of little girls who always look forward to cookie selling. The city should be ashamed of itself and any place that would act like this. The cop, well, he should be real happy that he can bully a bunch of little girls. I know his momma must be proud. Jerk.

February 28, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Are u serious

So the laws should only apply to some people. And girls couts are going to learn about civic duty by ignoring the law and watching the scales of justice be tipped

February 28, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Brad

I'll bet if there was a tax on those cookies they would be allowed to sell them there! BTW, I'm sitting here right now eating a Girl Scout cookie – they delicious!

February 28, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris Cook

why dont girl scouts ACTUALLY make the cookies

February 28, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Sorkin Milayui

termlimits: The thing is, they ARE good
      al: Citation needed

February 28, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mcaswell82

The idea that these kids broke a zoning law is retarded. Lets worry about the little kids selling cookies on the street corner. But the 15-16 year old girl selling herself on the street corner that's ok. Or the thugs selling crack and meth to little kids and getting em hooked for life let them stay open? Lots of laws exist in this country that are never enforced for much more serious offenses. I wonder how many people on this forum have kids who have had a lemonade stand or tried to sell something door to door. Your kids were breaking the zoning laws then and they didn't have a business permit so they should get in trouble. Since they're minors though it should be you facing charges. Girl scout cookies are delicious anybody who says otherwise is lying to themselves!!

February 28, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • nick

Joe... Please! hahahah calm down 🙂

February 28, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

They do this kind of thing. I remember trying to run a lemonade stand when I was 13 or 14. They shut it down because "you have to have permits, health reason you know"

February 28, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

Note: The Military allows them to sell cookies at the BX/PX

February 28, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eclipsin

Al,
      I would like to know where you get your information from on these so-called "paid leaders." I worked for Girl Scouts for several years and never made more than $10.50/hr, much lower than I made working elsewhere. To be honest, I think you are making things up.... NO ONE is getting rich off little girls selling cookies. The employees have set incomes and do not engage in profit-sharing.

And what do the Boy Scouts even have to do with this? They are a totally separate organization.

Back to the topic at hand, I applaud Mr. Scott's efforts to find a way for the Girl Scouts to continue to sell in this historic location, but the law is the law. Even though it seems silly to pick on a group of little girls, if their sales were really disrupting the flow of traffic and causing danger, they really should not be selling in that location. If I were a parent or troop leader in that situation, I would completely support that decision.

February 28, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

Sec. 4-1001. To be used for public purpose only.
      No person shall use the streets, sidewalks, lanes or squares of the city for private purposes of any sort. They shall be used only as public ways and for the public purposes for which they are intended. Have a few questions on this. I read in this article, it stated that at this location, decades of Scouts have sold cookies here. Its not like they just suddenly appeared and started to sell them. They've been there for decades. Were they vulgar and causing a public disturbance? So why all of a sudden, someone has a problem. If it were truly for the girls safety because this intersection has gotten busier over the years would be one thing and understandable. But it wasn't instructed to these girls like that. So does this ordinance also apply to someone using chalk on a sidewalk to play "hopscotch" because its not what the intended use of the sidewalk was for? So let me ask this. Why would someone have such a burr up ones @#@#@ to go after a bunch of Scouts. I'm sure that the person who complained has led such a spotless lifestyle themselves. If they know all, then fix health care, get jobs back to those who need one and get a life.

February 28, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aeromechanic.

Al, did you get rejected by a girlscout? You asked her out on a date and she said no? Are you diabetic and can't eat the cookies, so you don't want anyone to?

Why the hatred?

February 28, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really???

It is more likely that the local businesses are behind the push to remove the kids. They see every dollar the Girl Scouts earn as potentially theirs, even though the scouts are seasonal. Girl scouts do not hold their fundraiser throughout the year. My suggestion is to strictly fine every merchant that does a sidewalk sale, tables, or signage to be fair if they insist on this. We should check google earth frequently & report the snotty merchants over the summer.

February 28, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • 20 Year Veggie

There's a reason you don't have a gaggle of spastic little girls leaping around a busy intersection. I was a leader for six years, and I spent 99% of my time at booth sales telling the girls to stop freaking out, yelling, chasing each other, harassing people who didn't want to buy, knocking over our displays, using inside voices, etc. They were good little girls, but they were hyper little girls. I wouldn't have taken my troop anywhere NEAR moving traffic!!! It was like wrangling cats!

March 1, 2011 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
    • 20 Year Veggie

Al is not full of hatred–Al is dead on, and as a former leader for many years, I can second what he's saying. A mere 10%, approximately, goes to the troop. The other 90% goes up the food chain until it reaches a very well-paid national administration. Everyone else takes a cut along the way. The girls are out in traffic, the weather, subject to being robbed, and are OFTEN verbally abused by opinionated customers–both mentally stable and not. Furthermore, the ingredients on many of the cookie varieties are already proven to be so unhealthy that entire cities are banning them from restaurants. If the troop orders too many cookies the troop has to pay the council for the cookies, or the non-paid volunteer leaders will be taken to collections and their credit damaged. I know, because last year, it almost happened to me when we accidentally overordered and they would not take any back–even though other troops had been shorted. We had to personally deliver our cookies to those troops–some over two hours away. So Al, you're dead on. INSTEAD OF BUYING COOKIES, GIVE THE MONEY DIRECTLY TO THE TROOP. That way, you're not supporting an unhealthy product and a bloated administration.

March 1, 2011 at 3:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. RabiaDiluvio

They make this sound like meany-pants thug cops are picking on girl scouts. in fact, there is an ordinance against sidewalk sales like this that is INTENDED to protect the children from running into traffic and etc. If there had not been problems in the past, there would not have been a need.

February 28, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • What?

Here's something to think about–we don't NEED the Government to protect us from everything, here in America. We really don't. It is only the extremists that think we do and they are ruining our country.

I feel bad for those Girl Scouts. Both the Girl and Boy scouts are great organizations and I'll gladly donate money to them each year before I donate it to other, more worthless charities.

February 28, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • TomDenver

Protect kids, yeah right, you go out there and try to sell something, you'll find yourself spending the night in jail. All the 'free market' talk is for people who can pay a landlord (now you got a partner). Public Property is not for you (us, me, poor people, homeless) to use and those laws are all over the country, the girl scouts are only the victims when some authority figure get a fat head and is not smart enough to avoid some bad press.

February 28, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Owned

Of course we don't need to government to protect us.. until one of those little girls gets hits by a car. I guess it's just more $$ for the scouts if that happens.

February 28, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really???

So do children have no right to walk on a sidewalk for their safety too? It makes as much sense. This is being pushed by the merchants association probably, because THEY want that money!

February 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Laura

Girl Scouts is a joke. Nothing but a huge money maker for the manufacturers.
    I remember being a Girl Scout, and will not allow my daughters to be abused in the same way. We did nothing but sell cookies, and we learned nothing of supposed leadership. We were pressured to make money. And all we got out of it was a little pin or patch. It's a disgrace how the adults use the girls like this.
    I do not buy their cookies. As much as it hurts to say no and disappoint them, I will not support further abuse of the girls. Same goes for all the school "fundraisers". I regularly give the school monetary and supply donations, but I won't spend $10 on some cheap trinket so the school gets a penny.

February 28, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

You are my hero. Stand tall!!!!

February 28, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim King

I agree 100%

February 28, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Tiffany

I was a Girl Scout and thought it was valuable. I learned a lot, we went on camping trips and did other things that were worthwhile, and we didn't worry about cookies. It was your leader's fault that they made such a big deal of it. It's not like there's a quota that needs to be met or anything.

February 28, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Amused

"I remember being a Girl Scout, and will not allow my daughters to be abused in the same way" ABUSE? Really!!?? Were they whipped and locked up in dark rooms? Did the girls wear leg irons? Did they starve them until they sold 1000 boxes? What on earth are you talking about? Are you mad at the scouts because they didn't let YOU run the troop and have YOUR way? In my very long experiece with both Boy Sout troops and Girl Scout troops, the biggest problem by far is usually THE PARENTS! They tend to be egotistical self-serving maniacs who try to live out their own failed childhood through their children. They insist that THEIR child should get all the badges and awards regardless of actual deeds or accomplishments... You sound like you are one of them! I hope your daughter does not grow up to be as bitter as YOU! ...

February 28, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • HeatherM

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. My daughter is a Daisy and we love the weekly activities we do together with the troop. Our troop does not push us about cookie sales. Sounds like you had a bad troop leader and that is unfortunate. To say that all the troops are only after cookie sales to get a badge is a unfair comment to say about the whole organization.

February 28, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Get involved

LOL. You do realise that the vast majority of Scout leaders (Boy or Girl Scouts) are volunteers, right? In my experience, there is a good correlation between the kids that get the most out of scouting and the effort that their parents put into supporting it. So you had a bad experience (did your parents get involved?), and instead of learning from it, you're running away screaming loudly.

You're denying your kids the opportunity to do something GREAT because you're scared of getting involved and doing things right. Well done.

February 28, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Sorkin Milayui

Citation needed, Laura

February 28, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stevie J

You are a true American idiot.

February 28, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mcaswell82

Yeah I was an Eagle Scout and we did fundraisers like the Girl Scouts but we were never pressured to sell. It was well known that we were competing but we didn't have to if we didn't want to. The Eagle Scouts taught me about teamwork and basic survival skills. I learned how to make snare traps in the wild for catching food and how to tie 8 different knots. I learned how to identify clean drinking water in the wild. We learned how to avoid dangerous wild animals in the wilderness as well I learned how to lead and how to be lead. I made lots of friends some that I know to this day 20 years later so stop bagging on girl and boy scouts. They serve an important role in helping young boys and girls become young men and women!!!

February 28, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • SRC

Sorry your troop was a bad one. I learned alot from my troop and have many fond memories from scouting. Hope your life is not ruined from your disappointment from your scout troop.

February 28, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • andrew

Laura... you probably an ugly old cranky SOW... No one would eat your cookies so now you are mad? I feel for your kids.. but then they are likely ugly like you.. inside and out.

February 28, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • mrsmarvel

Things I learned in Girl Scouting that I still use today: compassion, friendship, leadership, sharing, taking care of others, tolerance, patience, trust; how to tie a bowline and a square knot, directions & navigation, cooking, sewing, poise and pride of self. I'm sorry that you had a very bad experience. For every great group there is always a bad example to bring them down. We didn't have to sell cookies and frankly I hated to do it, but I helped out because my whole troop would benefit from the sales, not just for myself. We always had a goal that we were saving up for and then we went on a trip. You don't have to love the Girl Scouts, but as someone else said, it sounds like you got a raw deal. Girl Scouting was the activity that helped me through a lot of rough times during the 70s. I hope that your kids will have the opportunity to participate in *something* that helps them too.

February 28, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maverick

FINALLY someone who can tell what the girl scouts actually are...a group whose only aim is to make money. I have yet to see these "scouts" do anything productive in society and exist only because there is a "boy scout" organization (and don't get me started on THEM!).

They may teach compassion, friendship, leadership, sharing, taking care of others, tolerance, patience, trust...poise and pride of self as mrsmarvel alludes, but I have yet to see adults who were scouts live by those creeds.

And THAT'S The Final Word!

February 28, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tracy

Wow Laura, I'm very sorry for your experience but that's not at all what Girl Scouts is about. I am a volunteer leader of a Brownie troop I've had since they started Daisies. We regularly give back to our community, collect dues to help with food baskets, military phone cards, etc and I teach the girls things that will help them in their lives.

When I was a girl, I was a scout and I don't even remember selling cookies. It wasn't the focus of my troop and still isn't. What I do remember is dancing to Michael Jackson with my friends and campouts and slumber parties and flag ceremonies.

I'm hoping that my girls will remember all the fun we've had and all the help we've provided in our communities as well. I think you should check out your local Council and see what you're missing.

February 28, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really???

I remember learning how to campout at the girl scout's Camp Inawendawen. We had grand times... learning how to build & cook over an open fire, going on hikes, telling scary stories at bedtime, singing songs, & making s'mores ( yes that is where they were invented) around the council bonfire. I became a First Class Scout, the equivalent to an Eagle scout. My sash was filled with patches because I had every patch in the book, including the one for martial arts( rare for the 70's). As a Senior scout I was invited back, as one of the counselors at the camp, training to be a leader. Two of us had a troop of brownies ( little girls) to teach what we had learned. We did not have paid leaders except the camp permanent staff. We used the money we raised selling cookies to pay for food & camping supplies. The better we did, the longer that years camp trip could be.
      As a current member of 2 historical groups & 1 fantasy group that camp out in a primitive fashion, I use the skills I learned in Girl Scouts yearly as a camp cook. We have camped rough regularly for 30 years now for up to 3 weeks at a time. I can cook for 8 or 80, roast an entire deer & make 4 gallons of stew or porridge! I also have never had a single case of food poisoning, or sickness because of the Girl Scout lessons in camp cleanliness & sanitation.
      Damning All Girl Scouting because you had a poor local experience is poor spirited. If you do not like the local chapter volunteer to create a better one. Change occurs through action. I have fond memories of Troop 5 myself.

February 28, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brownie Leader

To quote Yoda, "You will find only what you bring in." Barring a really sick, twisted troop leader (admittedly a possibility), your reaction to Girl Scouting says more about your character than Scouting.

I have four daughters–three have been Scouts and one can't wait to turn 5. Having been a Leader and Cookie Manager, I have nothing but praise for the program and its leaders. Cookie sales are not just a money-making venture. I see shy, tentative girls who never spoke above a whisper develop confidence and a strong voice saying, "Hello! Would you like to buy Girl Scout cookies?" I'm sorry you had such an experience, but I fail to see how 8 weeks a year translates to "We did nothing but sell cookies." I'm sorrier for your daughters who will be deprived of such a wonderful opportunity.

February 28, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniele

I agree!!!

February 28, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristina M

Reading these comments makes me sick. NO ONE is getting rich off of selling these cookies. Sidewalk problem or not, all of you talking trash about little girls trying to earn their way to camp and to go on educational field trips, should be ashamed of yourselves. I am a volunteer troop leader and my girls learn TONS of stuff. Laura, you obviously didn't get anything out of your girl scouting troop experience, because you might not be such a bitter disgrace to the human race. If you people don't want to buy cookies... no worries. Plenty of intelligent, non conspiracy-theorists are very willing to help fund the organization. In a world so full of terrible things and selfish, mean people.. isn't it nice to know these girls are part of something that teaches values and life skills?

February 28, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • 20 Year Veggie

And you know what they did THIS year???? They added a candy sale at the beginning of the school year to boot!!!! As if hucking cookies in the cold and having people be rude to them over and over as they passed by wasn't enough once a year. I am sorry I got my girls into it, I will advise them NOT to do the same when they are older. There are any number of ways to broaden your child's horizons, and you don't have to be rich to do it.

March 1, 2011 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jeff

Maybe if they would quit ripping us off each year by raising cookie prices and giving less cookies I would be up in arms. I havent bought a box of cookies for 2 years now because they are teaching greed and building a corporate cash cow. Welcome to zoning laws for your multi-million dollar business. Suck it up scouts...

February 28, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Brownie Leader

And all the other consumer goods you buy haven't gone up in price?

February 28, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • GS MOM in ND

Then don't buy gas or milk or eggs or chips or laundry detergent either... less product that costs more money. Only difference is where that money is going. Feel free to tell the girls they don't have a permit and have no right to harass people to buy their stupid cookies, but let's pay no attention to everything else we are over charged for.

I WOULD RATHER BUY SOME COOKIES AND KNOW THESE GIRLS WILL BE DOING SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE THIS SUMMER, THAN PASS THEM BY BECAUSE OF A FEW BUCKS.

I spent more on the gallon of gas to get to the store than I would on a box of cookies that may help one girl get to camp, or earn a badge.

March 1, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Googler

I can't feel sorry for the children that sell overpriced cookies.

February 28, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Those cookies a THE BEST you jackwagon. They are girl scouts would you rather they run in gangs?

February 28, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Are u serious

It's a FUND RAISER – The cookies are supposed to be expensive. I buy cookies because I want to support the Girl Scouts not becasue I want to buy the cheapest cookies. Duh

February 28, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Sally

@Googler – yeah, they girls all meet up and consipire to raise the price to rip off the unsuspecting consumers. Wow, what misplaced blame! It isn't the girls fault! They're just trying to raise money for their troops so they can go on outings and they get a pretty small cut of that $4.

February 28, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • a little sad

It is a fundraiser, so you would expect the cookies to cost more than a box of, say, oreos. (I'm not sure they actually do unless the oreos are on sale.)

That being said, I just LOVE the tag-alongs. If commercial oookie makers made anything near to them, I would buy them when it's not GS cookie season, but they do not.

In terms of supply and demand (at least my personal chocolate covered peanut butter cookie demand) the market worked perfectly and they have not exceeded a price that I am willing to pay for them. I just need to get myself to the level of maturity and discipline that those boxes are not actually meant to be single-servings.

I guess I'm lucky they are not available year-round.

February 28, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • EmptySkull

But it's a good life lesson so they know what to expect in the real world when they grow up!

February 28, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • vonspoo

typical walmart mentality. if it's not nearly free and the size of your head, then it's over priced or too small. same type of people who cavort around with knock off hand bags because real ones are a "rip off and over priced".

February 28, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Griffin

The cookies are a steal when compared to the garbage at the grocery store like Chips Ahoy and Keebler. If you want to stuff your face with large amounts of terrible low quality crap then go right ahead, I would rather pay an extra dollar for cookies that taste many times better. Girl Scout cookies are the only "hard" cookies I buy because the grocery store ones are so incredibly disgusting, for soft cookies I go to the bakery section which Im sure Googler thinks are also overpriced compared to preservative ridden soft cookies in the cookie aisle.

February 28, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • KLM

@Sally; And there in lies the problem, I have nothing against the girl scouts schools etc, but they sell high priced merchandise to friends and relatives who fell obligated to buy, and actually the kids see very little of that money (usually pennies on the dollar). I would glady donate money to the children or school, but I take offense at the fact that the send children out begging. For those who will say the most money is generated by the one seling outside the store think again, the garuanteed income is from the nuber of Kids * Friends and family.

February 28, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tagalong

The only thing overpriced are the Tagalong rip offs from Reeses, they give you less cookies, less peanut butter on the cookies, and they cost more while tasting worse. And dont even get me started on the Keebler tagalongs, those are a joke.

February 28, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just My Opinion

@Googler, you can still fell sorry for those girls and not buy the cookies. That's your right. But those cookies are good.

February 28, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brownie Leader

@KLM

The troop gets $0.65 per box, not bad considering the quality of the product and the logistics of selling a year's worth of product in 6 weeks.

February 28, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniele

I agree.. free labor!

February 28, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • KLM

@Brownie Leader; 0.65 a box That is better than most, but still does not account for the majority of the profit. I worked many years in logistics and manufacturing I doubt the GS pays more than 1.50 a box 2.00 max with all cost included. For the sake of argument say profit margin is 2.00 at best the troop is getting 32% of the Sale the other 68% going to GS Corporate. Heck of a margin considering the girls and their families / friends do all the work of actual marketing selling and final distribution. Also my main point was "the guaranteed income is from the number of Kids * Friends and family.". I am not picking on the girl scouts or boy scouts, or even the schools, just pointing out facts.

March 1, 2011 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. George

It's our right on public space to not be bothered by people clogging up the streets asking us to buy cookies, if you want to sell something sell it at a store like everyone else has to, people don't like homeless begging for change on the street, girl scouts are just just dressed up begging for you mooney, with the economy being bad raising the prices on cookies is going to make me buy even less because I can't afford them. So of course sales are going to be much lower this year.

February 28, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

You call yourself American perhaps your the one clogging up the streets. People there is NO conspiracy these are only little girls in the Girl scouts what the hell is your problem. If you have money buy some cookies if not DON'T for crying out loud.

February 28, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • GS Troop Parent

"clogging up the streets"? Seriously? How can you even walk? This must be a serious problem in your area.

February 28, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maverick

George has it right! They are outside the entrances and exits to stores hawking "Hey, wanna buy some cookies?"...not even a "hi" or "good afternoon". They are peddlers trying to make money off pity and hard-sells, rather than simply being and letting people approach with no fear of being bombarded.

Besides, why buy them when the recipes are available on-line?

February 28, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really???

Are you that much of a curmudgeon that you begrudge these children a fundraiser for a limited time. I bet you report kid's lemonade stands for not having a $500 business license too! What a grump!

February 28, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jim King

It is a scam anyway. A tiny amount goes to the troop. The vast majority goes to pay huge salaries at the national organization and the well connected cookie manufactures.

February 28, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

You have WAY too much time on your hands.

February 28, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • RabiaDiluvio

Do you have sources or are the voices in your head telling you this?

February 28, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • a little sad

"well-connected cookie maunfacturers"

Do they have a direct line to the elves?

February 28, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • displeased

Rabia, there were several articles posted a few years ago about the excessive salaries of the Girl Scout Corporation and the low percentage of the cookie proceeds that go back to the troops. I would point you to some links, but I'm too busy to dig up articles for you.

February 28, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Sorkin Milayui

Jim King, citation needed

February 28, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brownie Leader

Get your facts straight!

The CEO of Girl Scouts of the USA (Kathy Cloninger) makes $435,352 per year. The overwhelming majority of positions in the hierarchy are unpaid volunteers. 90.5% of all revenue is spent on program expenses (i.e., for the girls). Administrative overhead consumes 7.5%. Fundraising costs 1.8% or $0.26 per dollar raised. These are very respectable totals for any charity, especially one with such an extensive presence.

Now keep quiet until you know what you are talking about!

Source: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=6551

February 28, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniele

I agree. Kids are free labor and it's super annoying to be harassed going in and coming out of every supermarket and store. Makes you not want to shop. Or go in threw the back door.

February 28, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • 20 Year Veggie

The more I read about the paid vs. unpaid hierarchy of the Girl Scouts, the more it reminds me of how Scientology is set up, frankly. Not that the girls are brainwashed, but the paid people at the top are sure geting a lot of bang for their unpaid labor. And Jim is right, he's not a grump. Google it, there are huge legions of unpaid workers supporting the highly paid people at the top AND yes, to be a Girl Scout cookie baker, you have to be approved. Furthermore, the cookies are often shipped and prepped for shipping from volunteers at warehouses. So maybe you'd call Jim a grinch, but he didn't say a single thing that was factually inaccurate.

March 1, 2011 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. Walt

We need to start publishing names and addresses of people who file complaints like this in the paper. After a few of their friends and neighbors visit them to apply some behavioral modifications then I believe will see this kind of BS stop. Why didn't the city just respond to the complaint and say we have looked into the matter and see no problem. Are they afraid of someone who is a nobody. What kind of people do you have there?

February 28, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • George

so your suggesting we use abusive force because someone has a problem with someone breaking a zoning law, sounds like someone needs to go to your house and slap you with the law book and make you read it

February 28, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Awesome idea Walt. Lets teach the gir scouts mafia style violence. You have any other gems you would like to share?

February 28, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Are u serious

So the girls scouts shouldn't have to obey laws. I'm not sure that makes a child appreciate civics or civic duty which are the basic principles Girl Scouts. Civics takes precedence over fund raisers

February 28, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Griffin

This would be a great thing for gangs, theyd be able to track down all the snitches who reported their operations.

February 28, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Anna

The biggest lesson I learned in Girl Scouts was reliance on your parents to sell for you, and the Start Selling Date was for suckers. Another girl in my neighborhood always violated the start selling date by at least a week, and my parents refused to take orders at work. Guess who didn't have enough cookie credits to go to camp?

February 28, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • samadams

So it's like life.

February 28, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  10. Amy

You are all absolutely right. Let them sell where they want to sell! It causes a distraction to driver's you say? They are little girls and those complaining should be publicly vilified! So what if one of them gets hit by a car or blocks a walk way? It is an American Tradition!!!

February 28, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • George

I could say it's an old American tradition to own a slave but you don't see me trying to chain up a black person now do you

February 28, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Amy

I was hoping you would understand the sarcasm...

February 28, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Are u serious

Little girls have to follow the law just like women and men. That is an American tradition

February 28, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • HeatherM

George- How do I know your not because you tell me??????

February 28, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniele

ha ha.. Amy! That was good. Sorry George you didn't get it. 🙂

February 28, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • 20 Year Veggie

...along with slavery and not allowing women to vote, for a very long time! I got your sarcasm, Amy!

March 1, 2011 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
  11. KRG

What this article does not state, is that the year before they had girl scouts running into the streets to collect money and filed for that ordinance to prvent it. A rookie police officer handled it poorly by scaring the girls. The head of the police department publicly apologized and is giving the girls a pizza party and a tour of the department. 🙂

February 28, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Are u serious

"Scaring" the girls.... Please do explain...

February 28, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. A Parent

Are you serious?! Here's a thought if you don't want to buy any cookies just say no. Secondly, if you have a problem with Christian scouts, go find a non- religious, group to help teach your children what most parents ARE NOT teaching their kids; evident when I am at any mall, or school function where kids gather. I have never seen so many rude and inconsiderate kids as there are today. In case you forgot, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts were started with the teachings of the Jesus Creed...Love God and Love others. What goof thinks someone should have to change their teachings to accommodate non-believers? I would never presume to walk into any other religious or non-group and tell them to give up part of what their founders created because it offends me. I would be smart enough to say this group probably isn't for me. Stop being the mindless victims of political correctness. Your negative views and experiences drive your poor opinions. I feel sorry for your children who you are teaching to be just as negative and cynical.

February 28, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

My wife loves thin mints and Samoas don't quit selling those!

February 28, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Amy

How did this become about religion?? it is about selling cookies on the sidewalk....

February 28, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Jen

I have some "Christian" friends and their kids are the rudest and worst behaved of any I have seen. It is PARENTING that dictates the behavior not RELIGION.

February 28, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • 20 Year Veggie

You're right, Jen. I am constantly told over and over again how kind, sweet and well-behaved my little agnostic children are. I don't say this to brag, because nobody knows who I am on this thing–I'm not going to get any props from this in person. But the fact is, my children are focused on how to treat people here and now, not continually hurting others and getting off by asking for forgiveness. Instead of trying to get to some afterlife, they work hard on making their world better today, right around them.

March 1, 2011 at 3:33 am | Report abuse |
  13. averyoldscout

This girl scout cookie business is a scam. It is grossly overpriced. Pushy and aggressive mothers do the selling. They expect us to buy out of guilt, especially office colleagues. The troops and the girl scouts don't get much/anything out of it. The manufacturers benefit the most.
    What are we teaching these kids?
    I have boycotted this year. I am sure several people are realizing now that this is indeed a scam. I am sure the kids can learn skills in various other ways than peddling cookies.

February 28, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave M

very true!

February 28, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

You just stupid...I am a sucker for a girl selling me cookies, but I can still say no as for mean Mother selling cookies your still a retarded fool. I have come across many girl scout mothers all are nice and Great examples for their daughters.

February 28, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Are u serious

It's a FUND RAISER. Why would the cookies be cheap. The idea is to help the girl scouts not for them to under cut Wal-Mart

February 28, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • a little sad

Not that this is anything moer than my own limited experience, but when I buy my cookies, it is usually in front of a grocery store with tables out front. The closest I have run into a "pushy" mother is the ones who encourage their somewhat shy scouts to speak up. Nothing rude or heavy handed.

I've been getting my cookies this way for many years.Never ran into anyone I thought wasn't nice.

February 28, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Coriolana

What a bunch of sour-minded people!

February 28, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  15. denny

My only wish is that they had resisted more forcefully. There's nothing better than to watch tasered kids, especially in those cute little uniforms, on the morning news running around screaming. I am grateful, however, that they didn't set up at the airport.

February 28, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |