Girl Scouts booted from cookie corner - founder's historic house
Girl Scouts, seen here near Atlanta, smile despite challenging times during cookie season.
February 28th, 2011

Girl Scouts booted from cookie corner - founder's historic house

It's hard out there for a Girl Scout.

After someone complained about a Savannah, Georgia, troop selling cookies at a busy intersection in town, the city forced the girls to move away from the money-making location, according to the Savannah Morning News. The demand to move broke decades of tradition because that corner - Oglethorpe Avenue and Bull Street - is in front of the historic home of the founder of the Girl Scouts organization, Juliette Low.

Savannah zoning administrator Randolph Scott said the problem was that the girls were setting up their sale table on a public sidewalk, which violates a city ordinance, the Morning News reports. Scott tried to help, calling for a survey in the hopes that the property line near the home had private space. No such luck.

The Scouts are taking it on the chin elsewhere in Georgia and around the country. Recently in Villa Rica, Georgia - about 35 miles west of Atlanta - Girl Scouts were told they could no longer peddle their Thin Mints at a strip mall. (Watch how a cop nearly booted the Scouts from their favorite spot. "He was scaring us," one of the girls said of the officer.)

And in this economy, the governing body of the Girl Scouts in Texas is adjusting sales methods. At least a dozen troops across the country are offering only six varieties of cookies rather than the usual eight, according to KVIA TV in El Paso. The price of Samoas and Tagalongs has gone up in some areas to $4 a box, the station reports. It's still a little too early to tell how well newly introduced cookies - "Thanks-a-Lots" and "Shout Outs!" - will sell or if some troops' use of new eco-friendly boxes will boost sales.

At least one girl has not been deterred from her cookie mission. Lydia Johnson, 7, and her mother, Susanne, of South Florida, have reportedly sold 2,053 boxes this year. "We're like twins," Susanne Johnson said. "People like it, and it is fun."

The Scouts are selling cookies until March 20.

Post by:
Filed under: Girl Scouts
  1. Ingrid

My point exactly... Cookies are $3.50 a box and the poor girl scouts only get .50 cents for each box they sell. Ridiculous if you ask me. Why not at the minimum a $1 or even half the sales. And yes my kid did the scouts thing when she was young and I refused to sell any more cookies after I found that out... the manufacturer is the one profiting off of this. My daughters troop didn't make anything off of it. You still had other fees you had to pay to the GS Hqs or whatver it was.

February 28, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • GSMommy

The troop can get a starting rate of .65 or .70 depending on which program they take. The troop can also earn more money than that depending on how many boxes the troop sells. Seventy cents goes a long way when you multiply that by 999 boxes of cookies. Even more than that when you reach 1,000 boxes for the troop (this is easily attainable).

February 28, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. Rum Dumb

I stopped supporting the GSA when they became a political organization and started to support abortion. Does our first lady support the GSA after all cookies aren't healthy for you?

February 28, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Kate

From the Girl Scouts' website – a press release:

The Girl Scout organization does not take a position on family planning. Our membership is a cross-section of America with regard to opinions on religious and social issues and practices. We believe these matters are best decided by girls and their families.

The Girl Scout organization has no affiliation with any political organization.

Our Mission in Girl Scouting is to build girls of courage, confidence and character – who make the world a better place. We continue to be proud of our girls and look forward to showing the world what our girls can do. We thank everyone for their support of Girl Scouting.

February 28, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maverick

@ Kate,

February 28, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maverick

Let's try this again...

@ Kate:

"Our Mission in Girl Scouting is to build girls of courage, confidence and character – who make the world a better place"

Boy, did they miss the mark with the last comment. I have seen g scouts at the mall and on the street acting extremely bad, being rude and callous to people. If this "paramilitant" organization teaches those three "C"s, then they need to do a much better job of screening the applicants.

February 28, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bill

Let me help out the ignorant among you. The Boy Scouts exist around the world and include many races, ethnic groups and religions. The teach morality, hard work, and (gasp) patriotism. I know that P word is bad in today's PC do any damn thing you want environment.

They have a set of principals and stick to them. As such they produce upstanding citizens and hard workers. There should be a study done to find out how many former scouts and on welfare or indigent. By former I mean those that were in more then a few months and dropped out. I would bet that number is a lot closer to zero than the general population.

Shame on an organization for living up to it's code, teaching morals and values, showing young men and women how to be good and productive citizens. Including Hank Aaron, Gerald Ford, Steven Spielberg, and Sam Walton.

Go here for a list of famed Eagle Scouts. http://usscouts.org/eagle/bsfamous.asp

February 28, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Are u serious

Thank you. I was in the Boy Scouts and had some of the best times of my childhood and spent some great time in the woods, serving the community and getting to bond with my dad. Also became avidly involved in my local government and have cleared 6 figures for several consecutive years in my profession. I'm sure the Girl Scouts aren't much different in the quality they output. Too bad more people don't get their priorities in order and get their kids involved in these organizations

February 28, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. TBates

I bet the crack heads and working girls don't get booted off the corners

February 28, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Are u serious

Do you speak from experience?

February 28, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. MAtt

FINALLY! Someone put their foot down to the girl scouts

February 28, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • BillyBob117

U R one pathetic person.

February 28, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. Chris

I think it is a good business lesson for the girls. If they are breaking the law by doing what they have done in the past.....this is a good way to have them adapt (just like in real life you must adapt to things). For a long time I have been annoyed when I go to a grocery store because I'm accosted on the way in and again on the way out to buy cookies. IMO these girls need to be peddling their wares door to door and not sitting at a "money spot". It would teach them the lesson of working hard to sell the cookies rather than just collecting money from people who can't say "no".

February 28, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

You are "accosted" by little girls selling cookies?

February 28, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • BillyBob117

Chris, may I suggest that you seek help/advise from Charlie Sheen-–

February 28, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Sally

I don't know where you live, but in many areas, it is unsafe for girls to sell anything door to door. When I was a kid, I was expected to go around my neighborhood selling school fundraiser items, but these days, I would never let my child go door to door – even if I was with her. Its just too dangerous. If you don't want to buy cookies, just say no. It isn't that hard. Believe me, the girls get many more people saying no than yes, so don't think that everyone walking by is forced to buy. The troop leader gets permission from the store manager and they are always expected to act respectfully.

February 28, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. MAtt

The "Girl Scouts" is a front to a much larger cookie organization 🙂

February 28, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. NM

Girl Scouts shouldn't stand on street corner's selling their cookies, which are LOADED with bad fats, that cause heart disease! My oldest daughter was a girl scout years ago, and NEVER again. I hate when I walk into a grocery store, and get bombarded by Girl Scouts selling cookies. I have 5 kids, and one is of that age, but been there, done that.

February 28, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Are u serious

You should sue the girl scouts for encouraging an unhealthy diet for your daughter and also for marketing to young women product such as "THIN mints" which do not actually cause girls to become thin and also encourage unrealistic stereotypes of "heroin sheek"... Sigh....

February 28, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • BillyBob117

Sounds like you have a fatty family--–and blame it all on GS cookies---time for you to Adult Up

February 28, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • David

Yeah, get those Girl Scouts off the corner so we can build another McDonalds and have something healthy to eat! And at the same time support a worthy cause, MickeyD's!

February 28, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mike in NYC

RabiaDiluvio – Duty to God and "option"???? What Cub Pack are you affilitated with? Your local council may be playing loosey goosey with the duties ... but I can assure you that to be a member of the Boy Scouts of America you pledge "On my honor, to do my best, to do my Duty to GOD and my Country." There is nothing optional about it.

February 28, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • RabiaDiluvio

see reply above.

February 28, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  10. cookiemonster

did not the city, in allowing the girls to set up and sell there for "decades" also allow for the creation of an "easement"? I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that decades of annual selling without protest or warning or some other form of "no, no, no, you are not allowed to set up and sell here" from the city would fall under definition. they have been granted access for decades with no objection.

just a thought...

February 28, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Are u serious

They absolutely did not. There are no "easements" in ordinaces. I don't think you know what an easement is. There is no such thing as "easements" obtained by groups to sell in a public ROW. I think you are talking about when someone An INDIVIDUAL – specifically an ADJACENT PROPERTY OWNER CONSISTENTLY uses a specific location on PRIVATE property for x amount of years without a request to cease from the Property Owner. This does not in any way meet that criteria.

February 28, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  11. Bill

and a list of famous Girl Scouts.

February 28, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  12. JimBo

Selling Girl Scout Cookies doesn't teach the girls anything. At 95% of the tables I've passed in my life it was the mothers - and even a few fathers - doing all the work not the girls while the girls are goofing around somewhere nearby.

February 28, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Are u serious

They were off smoking cigarettes and drinking and hookin' up with boyscouts.... Seriously... get a life

February 28, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Jen

That is unfortunate in those troops, but I can assure you not all of us allow that. We don't allow electronics at our booth sales (phones, gaming, etc.) and the adults do NOT do the work. If there are girls not doing their share, they will be warned and then not given credit for cookies sold if they did not help sell them. It is important to teach the girls that those who work hardest reap the biggest rewards.

And contrary to another post on here, it isn't just a little pin of patch. There are a lot of incentives for the girls. This year there is a Disneyland turnaround trip for the girls who sell enough.

February 28, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ali

i had 2 boys in Weblos and i tell u..... They sold so much popcorn and did an amazing job...when some boys didnt...so the leader n parents of committy decided REGULARMONTHLY FEES....FOR EACH CHILD plus dues and yearly fees....PLUS camp outs , outtings ect... I was the secetary i havent been back since,,,, and NEITHER WILL MY SONS. Weve moved on to sailing and getting my sons into racing Lazer sailboats.... All you need is your sailboat ,water, and wind...and off u go!!! So watch out for these people...and yes its true some....alot of people ..live their childhood thru their kids!!

February 28, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Are u serious

Yes i'm sure your kids a re learning all about civil service and putting others before themselves with lazer sailboats whatever they are. And I'm pretty sure it is some sort of way you relive your childhood and teach them the importance of the individual.

February 28, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • GS Troop Parent

Girl Scouts are not the same as Boy Scouts. GS participation in fund raising is optional.
      I'm sure everyone has access to multi-thousand dollar (quick search on laser sailboats), a place to store them, transport them and a nice safe place allowed to sail them.
      Why bother getting involved with anyone except your immediate family and those others who can afford the pricey boats?
      It seems you had a bad experience with Webelos. So did I. But, don't bash the GS who are doing what they can for maybe a couple of days per year per troop.

February 28, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  14. Bill

As someone stated previously, in this comment section we see part of the problem with America. "Oh dare the girls of an organization that promotes hard work, citizenship, and leadership bother ME with a fund raising effort. My time and self esteem are too important to be hassled with the likes of you. Me, Me, Me, Me.

If you don't want the damn cookies, don't buy them. I don't. Instead go back to your house and sit on your butt and continue to make sure your children know they are the most important thing in the universe and nothing else matters but them.

February 28, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  15. skynyrt

I am sure the complaining party was a transplanted yankee, on his soapbox, again.

February 28, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • BillyBob117

Or someone from the enternally offended islamic cult.

February 28, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |