Girl Scouts booted from cookie corner - founder's historic house
Girl Scouts, seen here near Atlanta, smile despite challenging times during cookie season.
February 28th, 2011

Girl Scouts booted from cookie corner - founder's historic house

It's hard out there for a Girl Scout.

After someone complained about a Savannah, Georgia, troop selling cookies at a busy intersection in town, the city forced the girls to move away from the money-making location, according to the Savannah Morning News. The demand to move broke decades of tradition because that corner - Oglethorpe Avenue and Bull Street - is in front of the historic home of the founder of the Girl Scouts organization, Juliette Low.

Savannah zoning administrator Randolph Scott said the problem was that the girls were setting up their sale table on a public sidewalk, which violates a city ordinance, the Morning News reports. Scott tried to help, calling for a survey in the hopes that the property line near the home had private space. No such luck.

The Scouts are taking it on the chin elsewhere in Georgia and around the country. Recently in Villa Rica, Georgia - about 35 miles west of Atlanta - Girl Scouts were told they could no longer peddle their Thin Mints at a strip mall. (Watch how a cop nearly booted the Scouts from their favorite spot. "He was scaring us," one of the girls said of the officer.)

And in this economy, the governing body of the Girl Scouts in Texas is adjusting sales methods. At least a dozen troops across the country are offering only six varieties of cookies rather than the usual eight, according to KVIA TV in El Paso. The price of Samoas and Tagalongs has gone up in some areas to $4 a box, the station reports. It's still a little too early to tell how well newly introduced cookies - "Thanks-a-Lots" and "Shout Outs!" - will sell or if some troops' use of new eco-friendly boxes will boost sales.

At least one girl has not been deterred from her cookie mission. Lydia Johnson, 7, and her mother, Susanne, of South Florida, have reportedly sold 2,053 boxes this year. "We're like twins," Susanne Johnson said. "People like it, and it is fun."

The Scouts are selling cookies until March 20.

Post by:
Filed under: Girl Scouts
  1. LB

Here you go, follow the link below. This is a fundraiser, so you pay a little more, so what. If you do not want the cookies, just make a donation. What do you say when your kids bring home the fundraiser thingy from school?

February 28, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. Publius 13

Usually, it is the Boy Scouts who are being booted from something by the PC police. But now they are going after the Girl Scouts too. Both organizations are terrific, actually and demonstrably build character (in sharp contrast to our youth sports programs) and we would be much the poorer as a nation without them. It is a shame that we cannot allow GSUSA to sell their cookies on a street corner. Likewise, the constant assaults on the BSA by atheists and gays is short-sighted a narcissistic. BTW, while BSA is a religious organization according to its own by-laws and literature, it is not Christian. In fact, a plurality of BSA units is chartered by the Latter Day Saints (a/k/a Mormons), and there are a substantial number of Jewish and Muslim units, along with thousands of non-Christian Boy Scouts in all kinds of different units. The BSA respects all religions. "A Scout is reverent" is the twelfth point of the Scout Law.

February 28, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. deanne

obviously this was not safe for these girls to be selling or pedestrians to get by or there would not have been complaints. We all have to obey the law including girl scouts no matter how muvh the cookies are and who gets the most profit. I was a gs once and today would not buy a box I dont think letting girls sell overpriced cookies on sympathy is teaching dignity for themselves. The idea of gs is great too bad greed from leaders has again ruined a great vision

February 28, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. GS Troop Parent

I did a search on the house address Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace, National Historic Landmark
    10 East Oglethorpe Avenue, Savannah, GA 31401 in question. There appears to be PLENTY of room for a table and cookies besides plenty of room on both sides and in front for practically a car to drive on the sidewalk besides.
    Take a look. Copy and paste. Do a search and look at the property. Someone is out of whack in Savannah on this, especially since it's the birthplace of the founder of the Girl Scouts. Unbelievable.

February 28, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jinda

I want to buy cookies from that little robot girl from the TV show "Small Wonder."

February 28, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. guy

The Girl Scouts get penalized more than big business...those cookies are SO good...go for it girls..... we need more entrepreneurs to get us out of this economic mess!!!

February 28, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cookie Monster

This news makes me sad.

February 28, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. GS Troop Parent

I did a search of the address in question based on the information in the article and there appears to be plenty of room for a table and cookies and even enough room for a small car to be on that sidewalk besides. There are even two sets of steps to the house. Do a search. Look at pictures of the house. Someone in Savannah is whacked in the head to make an issue out of this, especially at the birthplace of the woman who founded the organization.

February 28, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pat

I noticed in the vid of the officers talking to the GS that there were 6 illegals watching them...it is ok to be illegal but not to sell cookies one of the worst things to do is sell cookies 20 years to life....BOOK EM DANO

February 28, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Gigiastro

About time. If they want to sell cookies, they should get a business license, pay and insure their peddlers according to labor laws and collect sales taxes. I am always happy to donate money to the girls scouts ,which is a great organization, and I want them to keep 100% of it, but ti do not want to buy a product by whoever makes the cookies and exploit children to sell its products.

February 28, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Former GS

Al: As a former GS I can personally tell you that the profit margin is low on the cookies. The troops only get 25 cents per box sold. The remaining money goes to the bakery that produces the cookies.

February 28, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • GS MOM in ND

The troop gets 50 cents a box now and the girls get 15 cents per box to personally spend @ the GS store. From there another percentage goes to the GSA then the left over goes to the cookie company. My daughter has brought in over $500 for our troop this year. It makes a huge difference when there are activities to pay for or badges to earn.

March 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Brian

So the fact is the girl scouts were removed for violating a city ordinance.

February 28, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really???

The fact is they were there for decades. I smell business association involvement.

February 28, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tyhouston

If there are codes, and regs they gotta follow them to. Besides, they promote unhealthy eating and I swear they are like hobos begging for change sometime.

Not to mention Boy Scouts need to fund their troops as well, and they seem to never have sales go well....why? Someone buys 20 boxes of cookies and don't get the idea that doesn't go to ALL scouts.

February 28, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Deb Green

I was a Girl Scout. My mom didn't sell the cookies for me at her office. I sold them door-to-door. Yes, I know times were different, however, I will not buy overpriced cookies from mothers who put a form in my office and just expect you to purchase from their offspring ... even though you've never met their children. The only thing this exercise taught me as a young girl is that I am not fond of rejection, I didn't want a career in sales and I certainly don't appreciate the smug expressions of the other girl scouts who sold so many cookies that the badge was simply bragging rights. What are we teaching them, again?

February 28, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Howcomenoselltome

I'm a dad and I was walking in a store the other day alone and some Girl Scouts were selling cookies, the girls were pretty young 7 to 12 maybe. But they didn't ask me if I wanted to buy any LOL One girl was blocking the hand held baskets and I had to say excuse me to get one and at that time a lady walked by and the little girl asked her if she wanted to buy some cookies. I guess they had a only female sale that day!

February 28, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |