Girl Scouts booted from cookie corner - founder's historic house
Girl Scouts, seen here near Atlanta, smile despite challenging times during cookie season.
February 28th, 2011

Girl Scouts booted from cookie corner - founder's historic house

It's hard out there for a Girl Scout.

After someone complained about a Savannah, Georgia, troop selling cookies at a busy intersection in town, the city forced the girls to move away from the money-making location, according to the Savannah Morning News. The demand to move broke decades of tradition because that corner - Oglethorpe Avenue and Bull Street - is in front of the historic home of the founder of the Girl Scouts organization, Juliette Low.

Savannah zoning administrator Randolph Scott said the problem was that the girls were setting up their sale table on a public sidewalk, which violates a city ordinance, the Morning News reports. Scott tried to help, calling for a survey in the hopes that the property line near the home had private space. No such luck.

The Scouts are taking it on the chin elsewhere in Georgia and around the country. Recently in Villa Rica, Georgia - about 35 miles west of Atlanta - Girl Scouts were told they could no longer peddle their Thin Mints at a strip mall. (Watch how a cop nearly booted the Scouts from their favorite spot. "He was scaring us," one of the girls said of the officer.)

And in this economy, the governing body of the Girl Scouts in Texas is adjusting sales methods. At least a dozen troops across the country are offering only six varieties of cookies rather than the usual eight, according to KVIA TV in El Paso. The price of Samoas and Tagalongs has gone up in some areas to $4 a box, the station reports. It's still a little too early to tell how well newly introduced cookies - "Thanks-a-Lots" and "Shout Outs!" - will sell or if some troops' use of new eco-friendly boxes will boost sales.

At least one girl has not been deterred from her cookie mission. Lydia Johnson, 7, and her mother, Susanne, of South Florida, have reportedly sold 2,053 boxes this year. "We're like twins," Susanne Johnson said. "People like it, and it is fun."

The Scouts are selling cookies until March 20.

Post by:
Filed under: Girl Scouts
  1. Brickell Princess

Why don't they get with the times and sell those cookies online and year round? Evolve you freaks!

February 28, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. badskippy

i have been to this house and been on the tour.

if they girls cannot "sell on the sidewalk", why not take a bit of the money, it wont cost much, and have a stone or cement area, next to the sidewalk, JUST FOR THE GIRLS TO USE WHEN IT'S COOKIE TIME? Why not?? it doesn't have to be big. And while we are at it – why not sell them ON THE FRONT PORCH? Buy a couple of boxes and then go into the museum? Can the museum itself not work with these girls??

February 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Uh huh

What a load of hooey. One complaint from a bloody curmudgeon and years of tradition is thrown out the window. Losers.

February 28, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rational Atheist

I'm always amazed how religion tends to be churned out of thin air no matter the issue especially from my fellow atheists who are supposed to be rational, but yet hardly ever present any rationality.

February 28, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. John

The girls where released after posting bond; 4 boxes of thin mints each. Except of course for Tiffiany, whose bond was set at 6 boxes of thin mints. Tiffany is accused on attempting to bribe the arresting office with 2 boxes of shortbread cookies.

February 28, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniele

Ha! That's too cute!

February 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Shneeky

Frankly, I'm tired of walking into grocery stores, malls and other places and being confronted by these junk food peddlers. They need to follow the laws just like everyone else. I wonder how long these places would allow me to set up a table and try promoting my business??? Not long I'm sure. Just because they're cute little girls doesn't allow deviation from the law – sorry, life's tough sometimes! Lesson learned.

February 28, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniele

that is so funny I said the EXACT thing a second ago!! My comment was:
      Good. Those girl scouts get away with a lot because they are kids selling cookies, oh how cute. They are in every exit and entrance to every Wal-Mart and grocery store. Honestly I feel harrased. If I wanted cookies I would have bought them in the darn store. I wish they'd go back to moms and dads selling them in the office. I work from home and would never have to deal with it.
      With that being said-well done! My thoughts exactly!

February 28, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Amy

I was a Girl Scout once. I wanted to do stuff like the Boy Scouts did, but no, we were stuck with the "Happy Homemaker" badges and stupid activities like crafts. What a waste of time and energy. I'm so glad I have boys.

February 28, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Daniele

February 28, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. TRUCKER

THEY HAD NOT PAID THE POLICE AND THE REPUKE POLITICIANS OFF OR MADE A BIG CAMPAIGN DONATIONS

February 28, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Linda

OK, first this is a new city ordinance. These girls have been on that corner selling cookies for decades. So who complained? I would love to know. America is changing and not for the better! Greed and more Greed. Permits for lemonaid stands you got to be joking, health department is concerned. BULL, that is why we allow China to send us cheap and dangerous materials. For those who say it is the law and if the girls were allowed to stay on the corner "what is that teaching them" I tell you , just because some idiot passed a stupid law does not mean you can not change it! That is what Americans are suppose to be about, stand up and make changes, take care of our own, fight for what we believe in. The people who blindly follow make me sick............

February 28, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. charmedaz

Times change..people just do not like this stuff anymore. At the office, on the street corner, at our front doors in person and by trash left hanging on the doorhandle..and EVERY time we walk in our out of a grocery store, SOMEONE is begging for you to buy something. Candles, cookie dough car washes..the kids do not even think its fun. This weekend going in to the grocery store a table of GS was set up with 2 little girls standing by the exit SQUEALING a saying over and over and over while the moms were sitting at the table texting or playing something with their phones..
    Some of these things need to change with the times or phase out.
    Break room at work always has some clipboard with cookie dough orders, candles..etc from everyones kids..multiples of the same stuff. In addition to that, the grown women are always pushing something, Avon, candles..Jewlery parties..gah

February 28, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Texan

perfect

February 28, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim Davis

@Chardmedaz. You sound just like Ebenezer Scrooge ! Don't forget though, he finds Redemption and Happiness in the end.

February 28, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve rustingle

Perhaps the Lockheed Martin hourly employees are going on STRIKE next Monday, March 7, 2011 as SOLIDARITY for their favorite cookies no longer being sold? Perhaps even those there in Marietta, Georgia, NO COOKIES or Planes, satellites, etc.

February 28, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • El Kababa

charmedaz has a point. The whole purpose of the United States and its citizens is to not annoy him. Let us all change everything so that he approves. The next time you see a girl scout selling cookies, why don't you taser the little snots.

February 28, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • ABC123

Well said Charmedaz. I

February 28, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

I agree a billion percent. How's this for an idea? If you want your kid to go camping or be involved in activities or go to a soccer/baseball/basketball/football/etc. tournament somewhere far away or anything else, YOU pay for it and leave the rest of us alone. I'm a liberal democrat and I love Hillary Clinton, but it does not take a village to raise your kids. It's your responsibility and yours alone. If you cant afford to give your kids the things they want, either adjust what they want or don't have them in the first place.

February 28, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • well said

well said indeed. I have a daughter in gs and I agree 100%. And to Michael I agree with you as well and most of the time we are paying for it anyway so who knows where the fundraiser money goes.

February 28, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • JD

I never did like these cookies so why buy something when the grocery store cookies taste better. If I want to give to a charity I'll give to one of my choice and where I can get a tax deduction. Not buying their cookies does not make me heartless unless I'm rich and can afford to buy something I'll throw in the trash. I'm not rich.

February 28, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • gnghtmoon

good call lumping Girl Scouts and Avon representatives together....totally driven by the same intentions

February 28, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • jake

It's called free enterprise morons. thats what your pathetic country is based on so deal with it. Sounds like a bunch of old broom riding hags got their britiches stuffed.

February 28, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alan

If you don't want to buy the cookies, then don't buy them. It is their right, just as you have yours, to sell cookies if they want to. But to deny the GS a spot they have been selling at for decades is sorry. This is not about the law, this is about someone grinding an axe with the GS.

The city officials should be ashamed of themselves. I personally will make sure that my family avoids savannah this summer on our way to FL.

February 28, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • GS Leader

I don't think the general public realizes what the purpose of selling Girl Scout Cookies does for millions of girls. If you actually take the time to pick up a box turn it on it's side you will find out!
      "The Girl Scout Cookie Program promotes financial skills such as goal setting, decision-making, customer-service and money management."
      It's not just about selling cookies and earning a buck. This is one of the best ways girls in this day and age can get a head start on learning the ins and outs of business. Many famous women were once a Girl Scout ... Abigail Breslin, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Martha Stewart, Barbara Walters, Mariah Carey, Dakota Fanning, Sheryl Crow, Susan Lucci, Cheryl Tiegs, Star Jones, Katie Couric, Lynda Carter, Mary Tyler Moore, Lucille Ball, Carrie Fisher, Peggy Fleming, Marlo Thomas, Shirley Temple, Kathleen Turner, Wynonna Judd, Candice Bergen, Chelsea Clinton (like mother, like daughter), Jane Pauley, Sandra Day O'Connor, Dr. Sally Ride, Cathy Rigby, Debbie Reynolds, Blythe Danner, Dionne Warwick.
      I don't see how any of the schools' fund-raising ventures teach the kids anything except get people to buy stuff, but if done to its fullest, selling Girl Scout cookies are laying a foundation that will help them as an adult. Just remember the next time you see a Girl Scout cookie booth or a Girl Scout knocks on your door, you may be saying "no" to the first female President of the United States. Help our girls ... but also help funding for our schools come from somewhere else. Girl Scout cookies have been sold a lot longer than selling silly stuff from the schools.

February 28, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • robkoz

Is this what it has come down too? Cops picking on little girls? Well I guess that's easier than policing an intersection or chasing down criminals. Glad to know the streets are safer now that the Girl Scouts are off our streets!!

February 28, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • MaryB

GS Leader, I was also a Girl Scout for many years, all the way up the Seniors. I sold many boxes of cookies over the years, and yes I did learn some valuable lessons. However, these days, the little girls are not doing the selling, their parents are. The girls have little or no idea of the lessons they are supposed to be learning. Mom and Dad take the cookie sheets to work and get co-workers to buy. When I do see a stand outside of a store, the girls show little interest; it is generally the mothers doing the selling. Of course, a big part of sales when I was a child were going door-to-door. In this day and age, that is not a good idea. However, there are still many other ways for the girls accomplish their goals in their own, which they don't seem to be doing anymore.

March 1, 2011 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

Here's a hint: DON'T BUY THE STUFF. Learn to say, "No." No one is forcing you to buy the stuff that you are complaining about.

March 1, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Todd

I'm wondering if the strip mall who booted the girls allows the Salvation Army to place a bell ringer in the same place. If so, they are saying it is ok to beg for money to help the needy, but young women can not sell cookies as a fundraiser. This is where our country has turned upside down.

February 28, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • well said

different concept. girl scouts are selling cookies to fund a large corporation, a bell ringer is collecting money to HELP people in need. not all homeless are what you think they are

February 28, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oh brother!

"Girl scouts are selling cookies to fund a large corporation." Seriously? You actually think the girls get nothing out of the process. You think the girls that sell the cookies don't help people? Stand up – walk away from your computer – and get out more often. Just walk away.

March 1, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
    • 20 Year Veggie

Well said is absolutely correct. The leader of the Girl Scouts made over $400K last year, and this on the backs of unpaid children and moms. The troop keeps around 10% of each box of cookies sold. That's it. If you want to fund the actual girls, don't buy the cookies, just donate to that troop.

March 2, 2011 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  13. Willie12345

Shame, shame, shame. Put the city will support Planned Parenthood, without question.

February 28, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • sara

That has nothing to do with nothing...troll alert!

February 28, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim Davis

@Sarah, so any opinion that doesent meet your approval, is now called Trolling? Now isn't that convenient for You !????

February 28, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • No, Jim

Jim, I believe she was complaining at the hijacking of this conversation by the original poster. She took the discussion from Girl Scouts to Planned Parenthood. That makes her a troll.

February 28, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephen

This is a story about the city not allowing the Girl Scouts to sell cookies on public sidewalks because there is an ordinance in place forbidding it.

It has nothing to do with Planned Parenthood. They rent private offices on private land.

February 28, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • El Kababa

Hopefully Planned Parenthood will be there to help some of those girl scouts in ten years. Whether you support abortion rights or not, surely you support the availability of safe, reliable contraceptives for anyone who wants them.

February 28, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lee Stewart

It all started to go downhill when they took the Lords Prayer out of schools. I am old and remember when Girl Scouts selling cookies was a normal yearly event and would not spark debate about it's legality..It was just the Girl Scouts selling their cookies.So sad that this is where we have ended up...We fight for Gay Rights and we dis the Girl Scouts...Really Sad.

February 28, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Perspective, please!

Lee, I think you're blowing things a bit out of proportion. We're talking about one area that made a silly decision, and you're saying that a lack of prayer in school is to blame? That's a stretch that Stretch Armstrong would be proud of.

February 28, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

The "Lord's Prayer" was NEVER in schools. At least not in public schools in this country. Remember, the division of church and state? Please stop making things up.

February 28, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • B.L. Zbub

Do ANY of you idiots know how to use the "reply" button. As the name implies, it allows you to REPLY TO A POST instead of creating 400 misinformed, useless, disconnected single posts on seven different subjects. Either learn how to use the internet or STAY OFF OF IT.

February 28, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Willie12345

Shame, shame, shame. But the city will support Planned Parenthood, without question.

February 28, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |