Girl Scouts booted from cookie corner - founder's historic house
Girl Scouts, seen here near Atlanta, smile despite challenging times during cookie season.
February 28th, 2011

Girl Scouts booted from cookie corner - founder's historic house

It's hard out there for a Girl Scout.

After someone complained about a Savannah, Georgia, troop selling cookies at a busy intersection in town, the city forced the girls to move away from the money-making location, according to the Savannah Morning News. The demand to move broke decades of tradition because that corner - Oglethorpe Avenue and Bull Street - is in front of the historic home of the founder of the Girl Scouts organization, Juliette Low.

Savannah zoning administrator Randolph Scott said the problem was that the girls were setting up their sale table on a public sidewalk, which violates a city ordinance, the Morning News reports. Scott tried to help, calling for a survey in the hopes that the property line near the home had private space. No such luck.

The Scouts are taking it on the chin elsewhere in Georgia and around the country. Recently in Villa Rica, Georgia - about 35 miles west of Atlanta - Girl Scouts were told they could no longer peddle their Thin Mints at a strip mall. (Watch how a cop nearly booted the Scouts from their favorite spot. "He was scaring us," one of the girls said of the officer.)

And in this economy, the governing body of the Girl Scouts in Texas is adjusting sales methods. At least a dozen troops across the country are offering only six varieties of cookies rather than the usual eight, according to KVIA TV in El Paso. The price of Samoas and Tagalongs has gone up in some areas to $4 a box, the station reports. It's still a little too early to tell how well newly introduced cookies - "Thanks-a-Lots" and "Shout Outs!" - will sell or if some troops' use of new eco-friendly boxes will boost sales.

At least one girl has not been deterred from her cookie mission. Lydia Johnson, 7, and her mother, Susanne, of South Florida, have reportedly sold 2,053 boxes this year. "We're like twins," Susanne Johnson said. "People like it, and it is fun."

The Scouts are selling cookies until March 20.

Post by:
Filed under: Girl Scouts
  1. Sean O

First off let me state that I am an Eagle Scout, once an Eagle Scout always an Eagle Scout. Secondly, now that I have a son that is old enough to join scouts, I have joined on as volunteer leader. I do not get paid out of the sales of anything and I donate my time because I enjoy scouting. Any fund raising done by a pack or cub scouts or by a boy scout troop is to help offset the cost of camping trips, replacing gear as needed and for planned larger trips that sometimes require a couple of years planning and fundraising to afford. The portion of sales not retained at the unit level pays for the cost of the product and goes to the district to help support the training of leaders, upkeep of the camps and insurance to cover the boys while on scout funtions.
    This article is about the girl scouts losing a location of use that has historical meaning to them. It is sad to hear that the girls have been forced from this location, however conditions change and the safety of everyone using the walkways need to be taken into consideration. Store fronts are a slightly safer location as drivers hopefully are more observant when driving in parking lots. Besides it's only for a few weeks each year and not a year round fund drive.

February 28, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • robkoz

If only towns were this diligent kicking out illegal immigrants that abuse taxpayer funds without even saying 'thank you.' Long live the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts!

February 28, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Diane

Does anyone when CNN News posted a message about financial donations? Did it state that someone could now donate up to 10 million dollars and use it as a tax write off and not using a IRA or after death? Does anyone know what is the maxium you can write off each year if you have a little to give? What if someone wanted to donate $500.000 to an organizaiton to build a fitness center for the youth in New Jersey can they write that off at the end of the year and get credit for the full amount?

February 28, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann

First the donation needs to be made to a 501c3 tax exempt organization. Donations to an advocacy 501c4 are not deductable. You can deduct 100% of your donation as long as you do not recieve anything of value from the charity. If you purchase raffle tickets or a table at the annual dinner you cannot deduct the "fair market value" of what you received. The charity is required to provide you with a tax receipt letter for any donation over $250, it will tell you if any portion of your donation is not deductable.

February 28, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Richard

And yet the new israelites or whatever they call themselves can stand at street corners and spread their hate and garbage to the populace!

February 28, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. stormsun

Pitiful, just pitiful. Nice move, Savannah.

February 28, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey5Picks

How about going door-to-door like we did when we were kids (with a parent or other adult)? That's better than sending mom & dad off to work with cookies to hound coworkers.

February 28, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • CJ

Savannah isn't safe enough to go door to door, trust me.

February 28, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • ABC123

Totally agree. Parents, stop letting your kids be so lazy.
      I for one am tired of my co-workers pestering me to buy something for Little Suzie or Little Johnny.
      And I am tired of being harassed at the grocery store. If I say "no thank you" it means I do not want to buy any cookies. Don't ask me a second time.

February 28, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • well said

abc123 could you just get 1 box please! It's for the children!! THE CHILDREEEEN!!!!

February 28, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheba04

Part of the reason the girls sell at the store is because Girl Scouts discourages the girls from going door to door.

March 10, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dan

Now that you can buy Keebler cookies all year long that are the same as samoas at 1/2 the price (with more cookies in the tray) why not? We used to buy 10 boxes of GS cookies a year and give them to elderly relatives. Eventually they no longer wanted them as they all thought the quality went downhill. Offer a good cookie at a fair price and we'll buy again otherwise, sorry. That's business....

February 28, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Big Government Please

Yes, we need more government intrusions in our lives. There's no way Girl Scouts should be allowed to sell cookies without at 10 permits, a food safety license, and at least 6 pay-offs to local politicians.

February 28, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Fuyuko

I bought 1 box to be supportive, but to be honest, I feel a bit irked that I can't go into a grocery store without being asked to buy them. I don't even like them. But I did it, because the kid was trying and they were cute. But enough already. The next day, I went out to do shopping, and they had tables in front of Starbucks and the grocery store, and they were impossible to avoid. I had to say no both times, and I hate letting the kids down, but I just don't want to buy overpriced cookies I don't even like.

February 28, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • scoutmom

Why did you buy them at all if you don't like them? You could have just given the girls a donation (the price of a box of cookies) and they could have sent them to our troops overseas. These girls are learning to deal with the public and how business works, they are also learning how to sell a product and they are getting a very small portion of thier sales to attend summer camps, which aren't cheap.

February 28, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anonymous...

Where I'm from, they're not even allowed to sell in front of stores. THey have to sell near chinese restaurants and on street corners. ANd even there, they're not allowed to yell. They can only put up signs and look pleadingly at you. If you'd ever tried to sell those cookies, you would know that it's hard. I used to be a Scout, and when I sold enough cookies I could go to sleepaway camp free. It's worth dealing with for that. And like scoutmom said, you could do a cash donation. Booth sales don't get many of those, and because you donated the scouts will get a special patch for the donation too.

February 28, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • ABC123

I'm with you Fuyuko. Enough already.

February 28, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Owned

All these people whining about big business hurting the little girls, bs, bs, bs. This was about them not selling on a sidewalk on a busy street. Unfortunately, it may take one of those little girls getting hit to get the point across.

February 28, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. H/o/o/k/e/r

I sell my cookies on the corner all the time 😉 Girl Scout cookies are kinda nasty especially the coconut ones or the lemon ones nasty foul trash

February 28, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anonymous...

Those are my favorite kinds... MEANIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 28, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anonymous...

Just because you don't like them doesn't make them "nasty foul trash". I am a huge fan of lemon and coconut and I'm extremely disappointed that they got rid of the old Lemon Coolers that they had a few years ago. Those were delicious and I can't find something similar anywhere. Beleive me, I've looked.

February 28, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Anonymous...

Where I'm from, the girl scouts charge 4 bucks per box now AND they shrunk the box size. AND they can't sell at any of the grocery stores. They are only allowed to sell in front of restaurants and voting places. I have to go all kinds of weird places to buy cookies. Yeah, they arent as good as homemade, but I still like 'em. They can't sell at stores, which lowers the # of customers, so they charge more, so less people buy. It's vicious. The GSA should be able to sell anywhere, and should just not be allowed to harass the customers. And kicking them out of the home of the GIrl Scout Founder is just wrong.

February 28, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. kmt717

Girl Scouts selling their cookies in the stores or on the street or door to door is similar to any other holiday. EVERYONE knows when they will be sold, EVERYONE knows the girls will set up shop around our neighborhood. None of what they do is or ever has been a big surprise. It doesn't get worse and worse each year it is always about the same. If you don't want the cookies, don't buy them. It is a freagin fundraiser. The Girl Scouts of America do good things, right. How often do you hear about a "Convicted Girl Scout"? Anyone who has complained most likely leads a crappy life and needs a way to vent.... America is losing grip because there are more complaints than resolutions. The negative energy, comments, and actions far outweigh the positive. If you don't want to be a Girl Scout or Boy Scout, then don't freagin sign up. But don't complain about them. I guarantee the BSA and GSA can run parallel with your lives and the only times you paths might cross, is at the supermarket.

February 28, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ed bailey

Simple, democrat girl scout. Republican civil servants! O tolerance rules.what would Norman Rockwell say! Give the litte hell yuns 30 days in the hole, that will teach em!

February 28, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. KBurn

Remember this folks..at your local Dollar General, etc..you can get the Thin Mints and Shortbread cookies for $2.00 a box. It just doesn't say Girl Scouts on it..for me it's about the $$ savings.You call me heartless, I call me "thrifty".

February 28, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |