Jane Russell dies at 89
February 28th, 2011

Jane Russell dies at 89

Fifties movie bombshell Jane Russell died Monday morning at her home in Santa Maria, California, her family said. She was 89.

Daughter-in-law Etta Waterfield told CNN that Russell was a "pillar of health" but caught a bad cold and died of respiratory difficulties.

Her children, Thomas K. Waterfield, Tracy Foundas and Robert "Buck" Waterfield," were at her side, Etta Waterfield said.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrity • Movies • Showbiz
  1. James Harper

To remind us all, nobody gets very old in earth,a 100 years is virtually nothing we are all young,and die young.when I was a kid I was working with my dad in Mar .onroes house, she asked if we would like her to make us lunch, my dad said, we packed a lunch but he might, she came over to me and asked what would you like, in her soft voice, I said peanut butter n jelly, she didn't have it and talked me into ham & Swiss on white bread and cut it Cadi corner, she asked what I wanted to drink, milk? I told her I didn't like milk,and when she said juice, I said yes please. We then finished installation on her ,(I think black pot bellied stove over white carpet, and went home.

February 28, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeannie

That is a wonderful story

March 1, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Charley

She just passed that's all, we know where she is and she doesn't want to come back. Probably hanging with John Wayne and Elvis Or maybe just riding into the Sunset with Jesus,,

March 1, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mona Rene

RIP Jane. You were truly one of a kind.

March 1, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeannie

Say "Thank-You ever so much to Marilyn" Rest in Peace Jane Russell.....beautiful lady......
    '

March 1, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dr. Chris

'Bye, Jane. A memory of my childhood.

March 1, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Grr82CU

Jane and Marilyn at the top of their respective careers made a great duo.

If it will upload and play (coding?) this is an example:

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwgfCtOeKYA&w=640&h=360]

March 1, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grr82CU

Hmmm – well that "old HTML" didn't work. Trying another sequence:

March 1, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grr82CU

Hmmm...well HTTPS doesn't work (I know something does because others have put up UTube video) so will try THIS embed coding:

March 1, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grr82CU

"Oh the pain the pain" – maybe a combination:

March 1, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grr82CU

O.K. – must be in disfavor with the CNN gods so abandoning quest. (Please – no applause or raucous cheering).

Copy and paste just the URL into your browser window to access the UTube video. It's worth a nostalgic "watch"

March 1, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Brian

She reminded me of those women in the movies who were intelligent, tough, and beautiful and you loved watching what they were going to do or say next! Like Eve Arden, Rosalind Russell, Barbra Stanwyck, Ingrid Bergman,and even Mae West, who also had a vulnerable side of them too! A Bombshell is what they called Marylin Monroe or Jane Mansfield who died untimely deaths! I think Jane Russell had the intelligence, wit, and charm to go along with her beauty! RIP Jane Russel and Patrica Neal (HUD).

March 2, 2011 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. Lisa

She was a true movie star. I loved her in Outlaws and the famous Playtex bra commericals. She will be missed.

March 2, 2011 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  9. Christopher Dycha

Another classic has left us. Compare yesterdays starletts w/today's. Not even close regardless of the metric you are using. Christopher Dycha

March 5, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Weight loss

obviously like news.blogs.cnn.com however you need to test the spelling on several of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it very troublesome to tell the reality nevertheless I'll definitely come back again.

December 1, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |