50 people in 50 days: Boy goes missing on newspaper delivery route
Paperboy Johnny Gosch picked up his papers but never delivered them.
March 2nd, 2011

50 people in 50 days: Boy goes missing on newspaper delivery route

Editor's note: Nancy Grace's new show on HLN, "Nancy Grace: America's Missing," is dedicated to finding 50 people in 50 days. As part of the effort, which relies heavily on audience participation, CNN.com's news blog This Just In will feature the stories of the missing.

This is the 33rd case, and it will be shown Wednesday night on HLN.

Johnny Gosch had been on the job as a Des Moines Register paperboy in Iowa for a year when he disappeared on September 5, 1982. The 12-year-old was last seen picking up newspapers at the paper drop, but those papers never made it to customers' doorsteps. It was not until people along his route called to complain of undelivered papers that people realized something was wrong.

Gosch's case went on to be one of the most publicized in Iowa of its time. But after 28 years, Johnny has yet to come home.

1. kim

This is truely a sad matter and so many people want answer and to bring there love ones home. Just so sad if only someone knew some new information. Has any of these case been solved any new leads? Its good to keep people asking questioned maybe someone will answer, when we say nothing we make more victims!

March 3, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Phiilip

@Michelle...thank you so much for sharing that with me/us. Your childhood sounds a lot like mine, with one exception: I was a very enterprising young man. I had the mind and the will to get out of an abusive situation even as a young boy. By the time I was 15, after running-away from home several times, I ran away again and went to the Department of Social Services (her name is Dottie Paccinni, the lady I spoke to) and told them of my family abuse.. She and two police officers took me home and told my dad he was not allowed to beat me any more. About a week later, at the dinner table where you were not allowed to speak, I stood up and said "I no longer want to be a part of this family". My dad said "there's the door". I sold my Hewlett-Packard stock and moved to a small town where i graduated from HS, began my carreer, etc. I would have never been able to accomplish this if I were strung out on pharmeceuticals like ritalin or prozac. It took every single bit of my young mind to figure out what was going on...

March 4, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  3. Phiilip

...and I did not wish to offend anyone and am not sorry if I did. What I say is true: a mind under the influence of drugs is NOT motivated, it is dulled. I see the value of short-term use only medications. i also see physicians who prescribe these 'short-term only' drugs to people for even decades. And I see those addicted to these drugs thinking they are OK. They aren't OK...they just think they are. The permanent brain damage happens so slowly it's hard to see, especially for the one experiencing the brain damage. I see it though, and I see US SPENDING MORE ON DRUGS THAN WE DO ON NATIONAL DEFENSE! This is not the way to a healthy body and spirit* (def: dominant mental inclination)

March 4, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. mish

why wont they show my comment

March 5, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mish

Its time for Johnny to come out of hiding. People need to know this is real. Johnny cant be hurt with all the publicity. He is keeping thousands of other children from being saved. Noreen needs all her witnesses including witness to phone calls from johnny to come forward. And to take a lie detector if she really wants people to know why Johnny cant come home.

March 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mish

There must be a public record of who owned the ranch where paul bonacci and johnny were held. We need to show more evidence to the public if we want them involved. All of Pauls letters from other boys. A list of all the kids who filed reports. List all the kids and investigators who turned up dead. Give the public info that can be proven. Get John decamp and Nick bryant on Nancy grace.

March 5, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. michele

Mish, if the government here is involved, as well as others, what makes you think they would allow all this evidence to be shown? Don't you think she has to worry about her family's lives that are with her now? The government is very dirty and crooked. We're talking about billions of dollars a year. Do you really THINK her life would be safe, her family, or even Johnny for that matter if someone were to try and bring this all down? WHO is going to listen? The government makes YOU out to be the *crazy* one when all is said and done. Some people actually do still have to work for a living as well. Don't you think the government can ALSO just make their lives miserable on a daily basis if they are so bold enough to do what they have been doing? We have NO IDEA how indepth this child trafficking business is. I can only imagine. There is no way to stop it. You cannot fight the government, CIA, FBI, etc. Think about it! Let's not put her on trial here. She did nothing wrong, other than trying to get justice for her son and to help others out there to be aware of what is going on. There isn't much we *the little guys* can do other than that. Everything we do or say, whether on the computer, in our own homes, work, out in public, on our phones, mail, etc is monitored. Our social security numbers, beneficial information about us all. THEY control US! We are not a FREE country like we seem to think! We have no rights!

March 5, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • mish

I agree completly. I think Noreen must feel like the whole world is against her. But if there are thousands and thousands of kids still out there, in trouble, I think you have to make sacrifices. Challenge people like nancy grace to cover the story. I think if Noreen took a lie detector she would have a lot more people on her side. People who are sick of our government covering this up. I understand the danger but when will it ever stop if we dont keep trying to expose them. I think enough time has passed and enough people know the story for the government to try to hurt Johnny if he came out of hiding. Noreen is not alone. People want to help her but we dont know how.

March 5, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jax

this is so sad in so many ways i think Nancy Grace is to harsh, judgemental and angry to be any help in such a sensitive area as child kidnapping cases!! My heart goes out to the boy and the family of this boy these are victims I cannot imagine going through the things they have gone through but to think you NEED the police and media to help bring your child home and when they turn on you how do you deal with that??? this is just so tragic my heart is hurting for these victims and I hope one day they all find peace and justice!! Good luck!!

March 9, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Larry Freeman

Allow me to say that I believe Noreen Gosch. I do hope that the sick twisted perverts that harmed her son are brought to light and justice. I also hope that one day Johnny can come home.
    Nancy Grace is a fine one to badger people about misconduct when she her self had gotten into trouble wit the Georgia Supreme Court over her own misconduct as a prosecutor. She is a very angry hateful and bitter woman, that should not be allowed to even have a show, she does routinely badger and push people around to the extreme on her show.
    In case people want to know, here is a link that speaks of her misconduct with references to the stories: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Grace#Prosecutorial_misconduct

May 1, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |