Gotta Watch: Mouse debut; brawl in Hong Kong; trapped in flooded car
CNN tests out one of the first computer mice in 1984 .
March 2nd, 2011

Gotta Watch: Mouse debut; brawl in Hong Kong; trapped in flooded car

What's this newfangled "mouse" you speak of? – As we hear collective whines about the new iPad, we'd like to take you back to a time where there were no iPads–or "i" anythings. The year was 1984, and the computer mouse made its debut on the world stage. It was large, clunky and had one giant clicker. Also making an appearance in this video, our old friend the floppy disk.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2011/03/01/vault.apple.mouse.cnn"%5D

Cut the budget, face angry protester – Hong Kong's Chief Executive Donald Tsang was only slightly injured after a wily protester attacked him. Apparently Tsang had made some budget cuts that affect Hong Kong's poor.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/03/02/hkong.chief.exec.attacked.icablenews"%5D

"I can't get out!" – After accidentally driving into a flooded area, a young woman becomes trapped in her car. This is the 911 call she made.  Despite the silence at the end of this video, the girl was rescued and is alive.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/03/02/dnt.oh.flooded.car.911.wane"%5D
Post by:
Filed under: Apple • Budget • Gotta Watch • Technology
  1. Robert Hodges

Around 1981 Xerox included mice with its Xerox Star.
    Xerox was the first with a mouse and the first with GUI interface.

March 2, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • notanappleschill

Sigh, I know. Another erroneous article with CNN breaking out the knee pads for all things Apple. Your shtick tires me CNN, you need new tech writers who aren't on the APPL dole.

I

March 2, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Apple Invented Uranus

I dont care what Apple dida million years ago. I care less about what Xerox did two million years ago. How many of you have an xPhone, xPod or xPad? huh? Who cares what Xerox did? Apple is giving me what i want NOW. Report on THAT, not 1980-who-gives-a-dam!

March 2, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

You are correct. In every historical account I've read, some of the Apple honchos made a trip to Xerox PARC (Palo Alto Research Center) and saw the mouse way before 1984. I don't know if it was called "mouse" at that time, but that's where the idea came from. Apple also did not invent the keyboard, microprocessor, CRT monitor, floppy disks and so on. But they did integrate them into a successful product. I doubt many people would have heard of the mouse if not for Apple. In fact, as late as 1988 – 1990 I still had many friends with PCs who swore by the command line interface and MS-DOS, while they ridiculed the mouse as a toy. (Ha!)

March 2, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • duh

DUH!! You probably watched that TV movie Pirates of Silicon Valley to gain such vast knowledge.

March 2, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Ok, history lesson. The mouse (as we know it) was invented in 1963, and it wasn't by Xerox. Xerox PARC did come up with the GUI Interface for the Xerox Alto. Xerox decided they didn't wish to pursue developing computers. Apple was invited to come take a look, part of a "quid pro quo." When Xerox abandoned computers, many of their involved employees went to work for Apple. Apple paid for the rights to develop the GUI for the Lisa and Macintosh (something Microsoft never paid Xerox for). Apple brought the mouse and the GUI to the mass market. They never claimed to have invented it.

March 2, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Troy from S'port

Actually Xerox started developing and testing the mouse and GUI in the late 60's, but that doesn't matter now because it's better for marketing purposes if we all just believe that Apple invented everything.

March 2, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Doug Engelbart 1968 debut the mouse in 1968 in Xerox park. Apple did not invent the mouse.

March 2, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

I saw a show on PBS several years ago and it claimed the mouse was invented by Evans & Sutherland in the 1960s.

BTW, I remember the name since several years before that (1989-1990) I had the opportunity to see one of their workstations and it was incredibly impressive.

March 2, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Xerox also invented ethernet, touch screen, what you see is what you get text editing, laser printers, the dynabook (the original ipad).

March 2, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

@Apple Invented Uranus... Apple is NOT giving you what you want "now"... Xerox gave everything Apple is to you 40 years ago.

March 2, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. 73Bruin

CNN's headline was misleading. The mouse was not new in 1984 nor was it an Apple idea at all. It had used for over a decade in the Xerox Star system and used on some other computer systems for a decade before that. CNN should at least try doing some basic research (e.g. look at Wikipedia) before attributing something as "New" to a company that just implemented well known existing technology.

March 2, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pakilegacy

CNN + Research = oxymoron

March 2, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Welcome to Reality

This is a widespread problem at CNN. The technology and political articles are the least fact checked, I have found.

March 2, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

The Star had only been out for three years or so, and was not considered a personal computer. Nor was the Alto that predated it at Xerox. And neither of these products were anywhere near as revolutionary as the Macintosh or its all-important operating system. Mouse-based computer systems prior to the Macintosh were quite primitive and basically laboratory concepts in nature only.

March 23, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  3. OldGoat

The mouse actually made its debut in the 1970s at the Xerox Palo Alto research center. It was invented in the late 1960s.

March 2, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. George Bright

Apple introduced the first mouse for a personal computer system; they were hardly new. Mouses were used for inputs on higher-end workstations for at least the previous five years (I first saw a mouse in use in 1979)

March 2, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. PDXpeep

Who cares when the first "mouse" was invented? I don't actually see anywhere in the short article where it says Apple invented the damn thing, only that it made it's debut on the world stage – in other words when it was first marketed to the masses. Do you know anyone who had a Xerox Star? Probably you do – but most of us didn't.

Seriously, I don't get why so many of you have all this time to try to find errors or mistakes in CNN's reportings. Are they the best? No, not even close, but it's your choice to come here for your news, no one made you click your "Xerox Star with GUI interface mouse" on this site.

March 2, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

love it!

March 2, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim right

I see your bliss is ignorant inspired!!

March 2, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mouglie00

Well said. I also do not see where CNN ever mentioned that Apple invented the mouse. Also, Apple contracted out the mouse design work to Hovey-Kelley which later became IDEO. The Xerox mouse was hundreds of dollars to make and Hovey Kelley designed one that only cost about $25.

March 2, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TH

Seriously!? What's is up with all of these propagandas, CNN? Apple did not invent the digital portal music player. Apple did not invent touchscreen. Apple did not invent the smartphone. Apple did not invent the tablet. Apple did not invent video conf. for mobile devices. Apple did not invent the GUI. And NO, Apple DID NOT invent the mouse.

March 2, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkinFL

But they sure as heck no how to bring it to market! I happen to work for the company that invented the mouse and the GUI and "personal computing" and it wasn't Xerox PARC. However, until someone actually creates a useful product, it is only of interest to the hobbyist and technology developers. Frankly, I hated the first Mac mouse/GUI as it was very klunky.

March 2, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Matt

Hey, I still use that same computer everyday. It's so much better then this new crap. I can't play games but oh well I'm 100 yrs old anyway.

March 2, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Matt

I'm so old I poop myself.

March 2, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

This is 2011. Learn the correct terminology: "I'm so old iPoop myself."

March 2, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. tek

Checking timelines, it seems even the Apple Lisa was out a year before this. 1984 is certainly far from the 'debut' of the mouse.

March 2, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jeff

WOW, Apple is sooooo cool! What kickbacks is CNN getting from svck1n6 @pple's d1cx so often? It's like they're the best company in the world and not overpriced overhyped crap??

March 2, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick B

Meh – it's par for the course. Apple has always been about marketing. Unfortunately they have never commanded over 10% market share, so it doesn't seem to be working too well!

March 2, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jay

It doesnt seem that they've made any progress (regardless of its debut)... It still only has 1 (one) button.

March 2, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Franklor

Actually, just to keep the record straight, the Apple Mouse has had multiple buttons for about 4 or 5 years now.
      I know, PC's had them for 20 years... blah blah.
      Just a fact check.

March 2, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rico Suave

Oh the 80's what a great decade specially for music. I wish I had a time machine to go back there even for 1 day.

March 2, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Masked Avenger

I know, I would buy so much Microsoft stock and be stinking rich now.

March 2, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. John Ralston

The first computer mouse demonstrated publicly was shown by Douglas Engelbart in December, 1968. It was at an engineering conference at Brooks Hall, San Francisco. Engelbart also demonstrated the hypertexted link and remote hookup to a fascinated audience of 1,000. See Bootstrap.org (now dougengelbart.org).

March 2, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. GoodAdvice

Instead of mentioning that the mouse was not introduced by Apple in 1984, or even that CNN is yet again pampering the Apple folks with their articles, I'll just say this:

That hand in the video holding the mouse is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. The end.

March 2, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joe

We all know this is just the first Apple mouse, not the first mouse. Get with it CNN.

And a 3.5 inch floppy disk is still something we see today on millions of computers, so it's not nostalgic to see one yet. And floppies were around for many many years before Apple added them. History is cool, but there is no need to imply that Apple invented everything or anything.

March 2, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |